Sign in to follow this  
JustMe

Realistic Deployment of Units

I'm looking to make a few ARMA2 AH-1Z missions that are as real as possible.

Usually I'll just drop a few armoured groups, troops and a shilka on the map and go kill them. Does anyone have info that details how these units are deployed in real-life? i.e. I found out that Shilka's are usually paired and 600m behind the front line.

Also if anyone has already made a spreadsheet on the armaments and range of their weapons that would be great to.

Thanks

Best I could come up with is... Google? Check it out in the mean time so you don't wait so long between an answer and such. I have a small list of group sizes but thats about it. -Shrugs- PM me if you think it'll help any.

I can get most of the armaments and range data from various sources. I was just curious if someone had already developed a list.

I've searched Aamzon for books and Google without any luck for the deployment tactics. I'm not even sure if "deployment tactics" is the proper term, any other suggestions.

Are the group sizes just the standard ones from the Editor? Or have you found any other info?

I would be interested in it too.

Have been googling a lot, but couldn't find any usable sources about real battlefield "compositions."

So how does a modern battlefield really looks like?

I think BI would have done a lot of research on these sort of things to create their scenarios and unit grouping. But there doesn't seem to be anything documented.

Maybe unit compostion/deployment/doctrine is a secret topic? Hence, no Google data.

I might just have to watch a lot of modern war movies and pay attention to the background units.

Position the enemy forces so that they are as efficient as possible against air and ground threats and you've probably nailed it.

There isn't really set ways of deploying forces in any army. It always depends on the unique situation at hand, terrain, forces vs enemy forces ratio, areas you want to defend etc etc, the list goes on.

As Celery put it, if you put your forces in as efficient a manner as you can see you're probably on to a winner.

Take a look at an individual unit (in this case a Shilka) and determine it's strengths and position it to maximize it's strengths.

Then take a look at it's weaknesses, and use other units and fortifications to increase it's defensive position as well as it's offensive capabilities.

For example, if you place a Shilka on the top of a hill, it's probably at it's most effective in taking down enemy aircraft, then take into consideration masking the shape, so hide it in a forest or cover it with camo netting.

Then you might realize that it can be easily approached by Infantry from the North and Northeast, but the South is a cliff so it will likely be safe from there. Now you place Infantry to patrol it's weakness, making it stronger.

At that position Vehicles may find it very difficult to approach the area and it has one entry, on a road. Mine or tank trap that road.

Long-winded way of getting a point across but I hope you get the idea.

Every situation and position is unique, to standardize deployment would make all of your forces weak.

Personally I'd place AA guns in valleys in loose pairs to give them the advantage of surprise against aircraft coming from behind ridges and to shield them from direct air-to-ground attacks. Hilltops and mountains are ideal for missile crews.

Thanks for the input. But I really am chasing the doctrines for the units. It's one thing for me to place shilkas and tanks everywhere. But as I found out, shilkas deploy in 2 pairs and can also be supported with a few aa troops . That can make a huge difference to a game. If I rely just on my radar to sneak up on a shilka, then a troop in hiding could blow me out of the sky.

I'm sure that there would be guidelines for an armoured division that would detail that they need a minimum of AA units and support vehicles.

as i understand it, the view distance, terrain size and weapon ranges in this game aren't really suited to anything beyond ground vehicle and infantry combat. so things have been scaled down somewhat. this is especially noticeable in jet planes that zoom past the entire map and you can hardly even see the ground sometimes.