Sign in to follow this  
dougboy101

Road Smoothing help

Ive now got to the stage where im attempting my first set of roadsmoothing scripts with my map, and it looks like i need advice on how long to let the thing run..

Specifcally im starting with my runway.

Ive tried creating a small runway, one piece with terminators, and used the absolute height script, (495Meters) on it as some suggestions are to use multiple small pieces to smooth it out at 3-5mins a pop. for those 3 pieces, it didnt finish in one hour, on a core I7 at 4ghz, WTF is going wrong? my heightmap is a 409X4096 so could this slow things down, at this rate i may leave my map running for a month once all the real roads are taken into consideration!

"Road smoothing" in ArmA2 is a way to learn wisdom and patience :cool:

In order to smooth a flat area under a runway you have 2 options :

-If the runway is North/South or East/West I strongly suggest to use terrain vertices option to flattened the area.

-If the terrain is oriented else-ways build a straight road part, a large one, using asph1 starting from a "konec" part and oriented the way you want (side effect : it can be useful afterwards in order to get the right value for ILS)

Then apply the smooth road script with absolute height option.

Of course, as it is "Road smoothing" script the result is not granted ... here begin wisdom and patience learning.

If road smoothing is not working go back to 1st option, use terrain vertices option for small areas, then try again the smoothing , but be advised it can never works ...

thanks old bear, looks like im going to have to manually edit vertices, probably quicker anyway!.

Can you also explain to me how the different road smoothing options work and what the variables mean? i cant find a decent tut that explains all the options.

Maybe you just save your map under a different name, build a small piece of road and try all the options. That says more than a thousand words...

You can check the results in buldozer and see it they fit your needs...