Sign in to follow this  
max power

[Tutorial] Diffuse Map Basics

I wrote a bit about painting diffuse maps by hand and the stuff I found to be important on my last project, and put it into a tut with pics. Please comment. I've already had a friend comment that the pictures are hard to make out. They look fine on my screen, but let me know if you are having trouble, too. I hope you find it helpful!

Hey Max, good read, lots of helpful info for beginners I think. Images are a little small. Magical "browser zoom" and all is well though (trivial imo).

Thanks for investing the time to put it together, I'm sure people will find it useful. Look forward to future updates :)

Thanks, Gnome. I'm thinking that the next one I should write would be how to make a smdi map out of the diffuse map using adjustment layers and clipping masks.

Good work theo. Appreciated (i am sure by the newcomers at least, although the information is easily digestible for anyone).

Comments:

1. Pictures too small and too dark (yes, those are visible on a very bright monitor, but not on most..)

2. Could try an make a PDF out of it, so you can easier view (without using the browser zoom function) and take with you on a reader or mobile device. - catch me on skype if you want me to do that quickly for you.

Thanks for the comment, PuFu! I guess my monitor is brighter than normal. It's a TV. At any rate, I'll adjust the images... Maybe I'll make some adjustments and a further note that the images will have a lot more contrast than you would normally want on such an object. I guess my subject matter could have been better!

Yeah really helpful tutorial, brilliant for me seeing as textures are one of my weaker points! Basically the same sentiments as PuFu, bigger and brighter images :)

Oh and very well written, seemed very easy to understand each step!

Super, super helpful! Can't begin to say thanks enough. I've been wanting to learn this stuff--especially now that I have a Cintiq to work with. I have a lot to learn, and this is definitely valuable for me to study. Thanks for putting it together. :)

Thanks, Gnome. I'm thinking that the next one I should write would be how to make a smdi map out of the diffuse map using adjustment layers and clipping masks.

I think that would be an excellent one to put together. I'm just now getting around to educating myself on these things relative to arma shader support. I recently searched for SMDI info and workflow thoughts. Needless to say, it's somewhat lacking. ;)

I just invented a work flow for it. It allows you to really tweak the specular map and gloss map components but otherwise is a bit cumbersome.