Sign in to follow this  
[evo] dan

Blue overlapping onto land

I followed the tutorials and when it came to making my own map, i made the sat_lco and the mask_lco and terrain.png, but when I boot it up in visitor and then into buldozer (after eroding 3 times like alexie said) on the coastlines there seems to be blue (at least 5m in most places, even more in others) on the land, even though I made them black inside of photoshop. Has anyone got any tips on how to fix it as manually going around all the islands is going to take a long time and is getting very fustrating.

Have a look at this thread - though sadly the picture is missing now..... is this wierd "border effect" to the east and/or south of your terrain??

*edit* - better pics of what I suspect might be your issue in this thread (askingmachine's pic in post #3)- is this the sort of hassle you're having?

B

Edited by Bushlurker

hmm, it just seems to be quite random, even in the centre of the map along the coasts it seems to happen, but I am unsure as to why it is happening still. its becoming quite a bit of a headache. its a lot rougher then in that post, I will put up a picy tommorow for you guys to see.

Edited by sgtscuba

Perhaps it's the sat image bleeding onto the shore line? (shot in the dark)

How would I be able to cure that issue then, since it seems to be happening pretty much everywhere on the shorelines around the islands. I did make sure to convert all the blue bits into black bits for the terrain.png so I am not sure.

Assuming you've removed all the blue coloring from the sat image, just reimport the sat/mask. Or are you asking about how to remove the color from the sat image?

Aaah!

I think Gnome may be right...

Did you make the sat image with L3DT? - if you render the Texturemap with "use lightmap" on then it shades all the underwater bits blue on the sat-image... this can look weird if the sea level isn't set exactly right - and can look weird at other times anyway because of the "tide effect"... a pic would be nice - then we'd know what was happening.....

B

I was using photoshop and Wilbur (only used wilbur to convert it, just like in the tutorials). Anyway, here is a link showing you just two of the places (its most of the coastline like i said):

blue1.png

blue2.png

Right!

Immediately obvious now what you mean by "blue bits" :D

Okay... well, the obvious thing to do for starters is to get rid of the blue - then it won't look so bad!

Whats really happening is that the "sea level" isn't precisely landing exactly where it should - this is exposing "blue" which should be "underwater" - except... that's not likely to work entirely brilliantly either - since Arma has "tides" the "sea level" changes depending on the time of day... and I wouldn't even be surprised if there were extra big tides in spring and autumn! - so - quite a lot of the time, no matter how accurately you adjust "sea level", you're gonna see blue...

I'd replace the blue with a sand texture - out to around say -10m, then basic rock from then on... something like that...

Technically, you can't actually adjust sea level - it's at 0m - always.... of course.... what you can do though is basically just adjust the whole landscape up or down a little... comes to the same thing...

Say your heightfield .pbl file shows that your terrain varies from -50 to +100 m, then just reimport the heightfield with the figures changed to -51 and +99... this will basically shift where "sea level" lands by 1m, while keeping your terrain in exactly the same overall proportions it was before.....

Its a good idea to get these fundamentals set to your liking at this early stage - you don't want to have to start to adjust overall terrain heights once you've got bridges, or smoothed roads or ponds in place.....

Assume what you see in buldozer to be "average" sea level, and bear in mind that in-game it may be as much as a meter or two higher or lower at any time... this is enough to flood out very low-lying areas periodically... something several island designers have actually used to their advantage for river fords, mangrove swamps, etc...

Take a look at a few user made islands - see how they've handled the seashores and the texture transitions... Prowler Wolf's "Mana Island - Fiji" has some beautifully done beaches, for example...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

yup, I have lowered the terrain a meter and it looks better, but some places are still iffy so I am going to change the terrain on the sat_lco from blue right by the coast to perhaps (if its possible in PS) a image of terrain somewhere else on the island and put onto the coastline.

Personally I would start by just shifting the hue in the problem areas to a dirt/sand color. Should make things much better straight away.

Simple how to for PS: Press (L) for the Lasso tool, select the problem areas, press (Ctrl+U) and dink with sliders. When happy, press ok.

There are a lot of ways to accomplish this. You could also brush it out on a seperate layer and merge when happy.

I am using the lasso idea and it is working out quite well, but I still have a lot to do with the long coastlines and all, then maybe I will put it up as a WIP then.

you could "select by colour range" if you're using photoshop - select all the blue at once...

B

also, quick question, how do I add town names onto the map?

Keypoints

... searching this forum section is almost more essential than reading the Visitor manual.....

B