Sign in to follow this  
CombatComm

adjusting clutter

Im not 100 % certain on this but clutter is the amount and distance the game renders grass rocks, twigs etc right? Well if so is there anyway to adjust this locally? I know it helps performance but it kills immersion when I zoom in with a scope and there is nothing but dirt. Also walking and seeing the grass pop up is another annoyance. Thanks

:rolleyes:

Anyways...

Terrain detail, view distance, and object detail probably affect these behaviours. Try increasing any of those. Unfortunately, you will never be able to make the game display the same level of detail at a distance as it does up close.

Wish there was a option to change grass density. The only other option that comes close to it is object detail, but lowering that affects more objects than needed :/

I can attest to how GREAT the proper vegetation tweak mod is. It works on the Chernarus vegetation (or Utes or any other map that uses that same vegetation - I believe).

I have a pretty strong system (see sig) and run with terrain and almost all other settings on max with great FPS. What I can not stand however with the chernarus vegetation (grass in particular) is the terrible and very noticeable resolution LOD switching while moving around - it is distracting, looks awful and is a real immersion killer.

This mod linked above very substantially improves that - and despite the name of the mod you do not have "low" quality visuals. It maintains a very high Image Quality (IQ). In fact I see NO loss in IQ but there is a very dramatic improvement especially when walking or running - as it greatly reduceds the degree of LOD changes on the vegetation and the result is a HUGE visual and immersion improvement. FPS overall may only be marginally better, if at all with it but the visual improvement is significant.

At the link above you have more info on the mod and access to two variants of the mod as download choices, Very Low and Low.

With Very Low (which I've not tried as I read there is a more noticeable drop in IQ) -

- First three resolution LODs removed

- First two and last two mipmaps removed

With LOW

- First two LODs removed

- First and last mipmap removed

Oh, and the sample videos you can see there for comparison do not do this justice - you have to see it on your rig to appreciate how good it is.

Here is the link at armaholic for only the LOW version:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7252

Edited by SeaVee

I agree this mod is a must for Chernarus , unfortunately it only works with Chernarus and maybe Utes not other islands.

It gives me higher FPS and better gameplay :)

I would adjust as well the annoying LOD? switching which happens distance related to grass. This mod does the trick:

GDT Mod Plants

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7549

Though I noticed that PROPER's Vegetation Tweak Visuals and the LOD switch prevention of GDT plants2 will not work at the same time.

This cuts quite significantly the grass as well:

SFOD-D High Performance Addon (aka ussocom)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=9201

GDT Mod Grass cuts the most... afaik

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6628

I am not sure but doesn't GDT mods combined do pretty much the same?

Anyway, I can't stand the grass lod twitching... so no proper for me :(

I am definitely going to try the Proper mod. Tried Flashpoint Chernarus last night, and joined up with a team in a firefight, I had no clue what they were shooting at, LOL

-OP

Probably for both Chenarus and utes, as it was originally made when only Arma2 was out.

kju posted a step-by-step guide so you can make the same thing for Takistan. I did but felt it was visually not desirable, Takistan already has relatively basic vegetation.

Ok, I tried to use the PROPER (low) mod with modfolders. I am not really sure if I have less vegetation now, as Chernarus still seems quite lush. So I was wondering if it was really in effect - is having it as a modfolder enough? Or should you then also adjust some of the ingame visual options?

Thanks for any pointers,

OP

Works fine in a @mod\addons folder, just check it isn't being superceded by some other vegetation mod mentioned in here. The great thing about it is you shouldn't really be aware of any visual difference in normal play, only if you're actually looking for it. I personally get +5fps on Chernarus which is the most noticeable change. Does the mod folder name show in the list at right on the main menu screen and are the pbo's in an \addons sub-folder?

Indeed the visual difference with PROPER and default isnt that noticable imo.

If someone could just tell me how to disable the grass-lod-switching with PROPER and I would be happy to use that mod more.

Does the mod folder name show in the list at right on the main menu screen and are the pbo's in an \addons sub-folder?

They are, and they show in the menu GUI. Guess I am good then. Thanks, now I just have to get better at spotting enemies at range :)

Afaik, most of the servers wont allow running GDT Plants mod to disable the grass lod switching. Is there some other way to disable them and still play online? To me that switching is a huge immersion breaker and I just want it gone...