Sign in to follow this  
=jps=sgtrock

Trying to introduce Arma2 to people at a LAN party

I tried just firing up the standard DM and team DM mods that come bundled with the demo, but people got tired of them pretty quickly. So, I'm looking for a set of good co-op or team vs. team mods. I would prefer ones that will work with the demo version so people don't have to go out and buy the game just for one LAN.

Is there anything out there that will really show off the game and convince people to buy it?

Thoughts? Links? Comments?

TIA

Download the AAS pack from armaholic.com. You will be pleased.

Also, try to ease people into it by downloading Celery's DM shipment map from CoD 4 :P

Thanks for the suggestions!

More information about the target audience:

• These are mostly older gamers (mid 30s to early 50s) with a handful of the next generation showing up occasionally.
  • Run and gun games can be fun, but there's definitely an interest in the kind of tactical game that only something like ArmA can provide. IOW, we do like a game that helps us work together.
  • This bunch is most definitely NOT interested in any game or mod where each player only gets one death with no chance to respawn.
  • There would definitely be interest in vehicles if they fit a mod well.

Anyone else have any thoughts on what would work?

Cipher's also good: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6768

Team deathmatch, DM are always fun:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8032

This one has a lot of planes, really fun. BTW all these missions only need to be installed on the host computer, instead of everyone needing to have it. It's downloaded automatically on start.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7830

Try Bennys Warfare too, theres a lot of tactics, for me the best tactical mission.

Im trying to convince my friends too, but they are all BLIND with COD and Bad Company 2, the first thing you must do is telling them that this is not a First person shooter game with soldiers jumping from roofs and stuffs like that, this is "military simulation game"

Edited by Nec

Hi =JpS=SgtRock

Try Valhalla and Insugency.

Kind Regards walker

Thanks for the suggestions!

More information about the target audience:

• These are mostly older gamers (mid 30s to early 50s) with a handful of the next generation showing up occasionally.
  • Run and gun games can be fun, but there's definitely an interest in the kind of tactical game that only something like ArmA can provide. IOW, we do like a game that helps us work together.
  • This bunch is most definitely NOT interested in any game or mod where each player only gets one death with no chance to respawn.
  • There would definitely be interest in vehicles if they fit a mod well.

Anyone else have any thoughts on what would work?

Warfare Gamemode

Benny Edition

Gossamers Edition

ZeroG Edition

RE*Tournament Edition

And/or other warfare gamemode that you can find on armaholic just write warfare on search box

check that sure you will like one or more than one variant

I tried just firing up the standard DM and team DM mods that come bundled with the demo, but people got tired of them pretty quickly. So, I'm looking for a set of good co-op or team vs. team mods. I would prefer ones that will work with the demo version so people don't have to go out and buy the game just for one LAN.

Is there anything out there that will really show off the game and convince people to buy it?

Thoughts? Links? Comments?

TIA

I don't know what is available for the demo, and I imagine it's somewhat outdated...

But with some of the great missions others have listed here, I would hope your friends would be interested in more than one LAN party.

i'd then sugest the operation arrowhead demo

a bit more updated than the arma 2 demo :p

But not sure about missions for it though, might check out this tread ?

Oh, I didn't realize that part. Honestly I've never done it so I have no idea if that would work.

Depending on the crowd some people may enjoy Team Vs team.

I'd prefer longer team vs team.

But imo you can get the most fun from real co-op game by taking careful approach to playing the game making it a coordinated team effort.

Most public server never play this kind of game. But when you do find them the people are often much better soldier and pilot.

I took a look at the demo for OA last night. I like what I see of it, but I think it has the same issues as the original; the MP modes really don't demonstrate just how much fun a properly designed ArmA2 mod can be. And no, I don't think I'll be able to persuade this bunch to buy the game based upon my say-so for one LAN party. :(

Still, I am planning to take a look at Armaholic to see what might be done. Any BI staff or modders reading this thread that may have some ideas?

TIA

have a look @ youtube, for some of the vids folks have made, i'm sure, if you find a few good ones there, it might tempt ppl ( i think gol have a few nice ones, shacktac too )