Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 77777

To be honest, and I appreciate that BIS are working away making these patches, but there are too extreme problems that keep me away from the game, the immersiveness is severely impaired by these issues.

1: AI walking through walls.

2: Windows seem inconsistent when it comes to being able to shoot through them.

I wish the large barrier walls were solid blocks of material that the AI soldiers can't get through.

Is AI going through wall that frequent? I have never seen it and I have played a fair bit.

Not saying its not there I really have never seen it.

AI walking through walls looks like a lazy way out for BIS to not script soldiers going into prone position to climb through holes (you may have noticed that AI walks only through walls / pipes / fences / etc that have a passage under them) - at least for the time being*

*the time being being 1.5 years now

To be honest, and I appreciate that BIS are working away making these patches, but there are too extreme problems that keep me away from the game, the immersiveness is severely impaired by these issues.

1: AI walking through walls.

2: Windows seem inconsistent when it comes to being able to shoot through them.

I wish the large barrier walls were solid blocks of material that the AI soldiers can't get through.

These kinds of changes wouldn't be included in a beta release, as they would both probably involve (at least one will definitely) content changes.

Anyway, I wonder if BI planned that build number. :rolleyes:

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my team to follow me, sometimes. I was testing out another mission(though, it isn't the only one where it happens) when I realized my team was holding up about 500m away. I tried getting them to form up, but they wouldn't move. tried running back to them to issue the order from close up, but still no. however, I did find some kind of workaround, and that was to use instant respawn in my mission. more specifically, I had to shoot them(or let the opfor shoot them instead), then let them respawn. that was the only way to get them to snap out of it and follow me again. have a look.

3fee13-4.jpg

also, I realize that that particular area I chose(I think it's Naygul Valley) is all rough terrain, but oddly enough, they can navigate around those rocks just fine(they can even avoid the water, for the most part). that spot they were stuck on in the video wasn't so bad, which makes it pretty random as to where it happens.

I've testes a older thing some minutes ago ...

Exists the Problem longer that the damageeffect simulation="damageAround"; does no longer cause ambient damage ? :eek:

Latest beta patches have induced microstuttering while scanning (Infantry and vehicles/aircraft in dense areas) Also drops FPS by about 2-4. Disabling vertical sync improves FPS slightly, but does not remove microstuttering. Same with postprocessing.

While open scanning can be aleviated slightly by increasing 'smoothing', but deteriorates while using optics (ACOG). Opposite is true as well (disable smoothing improves optics, but deteriorates open scanning.)

Best (last) beta patch that had minimal stuttering was 77007..

Have you tried to decrease AToC by editing arma2oa.cfg to see if your performance returns to the level you are used to?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1843342&postcount=83

It was recently added and obviously it will consume more GPU power.

I don't get this AToC thing. It doesn't seem to make much difference to image quality to me, it does seem to add an odd artefact to nearby trees though:

http://i55.tinypic.com/14csktv.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/20z9wrm.jpg

What is that about?

Aside from that....I really wish we could just get the white pixel problem with Taki vegetation and tress fixed. As BIS are working on things like foliage and anti-aliasing, I hope it is on the cards? That's way more important than adding features like this, in my opinion anyway. Any Dev have info about getting this fixed? I don't get the point in improving image quality with horrible eye sore bugs like that still there. Also, I think people have enough difficulty as it is trying to get the game to run smoothly using in game AA settings without sacrificing more FPS on it, I know I do.

And can anyone shed light on why we can no longer force anti-aliasing through the nVidia driver since OA is out?

Edited by -=seany=-

@Dwarden

I had a crash with this beta.

The game CTD but was still running. I found follow in my RPT:

"ErrorMessage: Shaders not valid (mismatch of exe and data?)"

Yes that's the downside of the new fix.

Suma I suggest you implement some kind of a "force move" command.

Like f.e. when you order your units to move somewhere (not in a vehicle) they still do that with a bounding overwatch but when f.e. you order them to move while holding, say, CTRL - they will move there like they do in this beta. You can also add force move command to that context menu which opens when you select a unit.

I think it will be the best way to do this - what do you think?

Please consider this Suma

Any chance of some anti-cheat software that works ? Getting bored now of trying to play online with so many kiddies just coming into a server and trashing it.

Any chance of some anti-cheat software that works ? Getting bored now of trying to play online with so many kiddies just coming into a server and trashing it.

The best and, quite possibly, the only way to avoid cheating kids is to join a clan / play on some clan's private server.

You won't have dozens of players playing at all times but you will have a cheat-free and, most importantly, organized gaming experience.

Edited by metalcraze

Team Fortress 2 (PC)

Seriously? They RUINED that game with all the crafting and hats and duels and upgrades - it's so out of balance and fubar'd at this point it's not even funny.

Seriously? They RUINED that game with all the crafting and hats and duels and upgrades - it's so out of balance and fubar'd at this point it's not even funny.

It's a matter of personal taste. I agree with you that some of the hats and that is silly. BUT they are releasing new content for free years after the release. I loved the new content the first years. mp_tournament 1, tf_weapon_criticals_0, cp_badlands, arena mode, some of the new class updates. They introduced some really good concepts like kritzkrieg for the medic and so on. All for free.

I cant remember everything now. Sure, Team Fortress II got some bugs but not as game breaking like in Arma II.

Is AI going through wall that frequent? I have never seen it and I have played a fair bit.

They still do. On the Desert map included in Operation Arrowhead, the AI seems to walk right through the petrol pipeline that runs right through (no pun intended) the middle of the map.

I don't get this AToC thing. It doesn't seem to make much difference to image quality to me, it does seem to add an odd artefact to nearby trees though:

It reduces aliasing with vegetation, trees, and the like. It makes a huge improvement in image quality (specifically depth) in my opinion, and the opinions of many others on here. ;)

Safe Mode has changed, the squad only walks even with "Full speed" (speedmode has no effect).

*image*

:rolleyes:

It would be nice if they actually test the betas before they release them. :) Make an achievement for that!

"Tested the beta before release!"

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Safe Mode has changed, the squad only walks even with "Full speed" (speedmode has no effect).

I noticed that yesterday.

As well as the lonewolf-run-ahead thing.

The latter is far more annoying.

Edited by Zipper5
Quoted hotlinked image

It would be nice if they actually test the betas before they release them. :) Make an achievement for that!

You are aware of the paradox in this statement, right? ... :eh:

You are aware of the paradox in this statement, right? ... :eh:

Hehe, let's beta test the beta patch before releasing them for beta test purpose. BUT before, let's beta beta test the beta beta patch :cool: