Sign in to follow this  
hungrytoheal

We all love a bit of Duke!

It's f**king awful - what a train wreck :(

I hope these fools don't mess up the Aliens game (judging by the comments from E3, it is still on the right track thankfully).

i think i'll pass even on that after seeing what their latest brothers in arms game is goingo to be like. im just glad i had time left to cancel my DNF pre-order.

The games looks fun IMO. Haven't played it myself yet but to me it seems that if you treat it like a silly Duke game, you won't be disappointed.

No, it isn't. It's painfully bad.

---------- Post added at 17:22 ---------- Previous post was at 17:21 ----------

i think i'll pass even on that after seeing what their latest brothers in arms game is goingo to be like. im just glad i had time left to cancel my DNF pre-order.

Yeah, they are obviously going down the 'let's cash in' route taken by Activision and EA.

I wouldn't say that its a train werck, but I clearly have a "thats it?" momemt when I finish the game, like many I was expecting something like in the old teasers, but it seems that they have cut out many content back then(I mean where the hell is the jet pack!?) :( there isn't much bug when I play the SP, which may be the only good thing, I have no idea what the MP is like. All I can say is that it takes too long (12 fuckin years for this?) for Duke to return.

No, it isn't. It's painfully bad.

I have to agree, I am playing it a little and really........its bad and its boring.

But, no matter how bad I intend to finish the game and shelve it quickly, at least I played it than for my peace of mind ;)

Ctrl-Alt-Del: Duke Nukem

I was never a fan of these games but since it was so important to so many others I thought I would follow it. Too bad that so many were let down.

If you can pretend it's the 90's is it still decent?

Most of the reviews I read say it's dated which is fine with me

so long as it's got what the old dukes had.

If you can pretend it's the 90's is it still decent?

Most of the reviews I read say it's dated which is fine with me

so long as it's got what the old dukes had.

well if gearbox was asking $15 instead of $50 for this game, i would say go for it and buy it. but since that isn't the case i would suggest waiting till you see this game on sale and spend your money on something better like crysis 2 or bulletstorm which is kinda like duke. i would even suggest if you own a 360 to just buy duke nukem 3d off xbox arcade.

I played it and finished it day ago - it wasnt a best game or the worst , it was something middle - i give it 7/10 - because i like Duke :p

anyway try the Eduke32 with Polymer + high resolution pack - you will like it :)

I played it and finished it day ago - it wasnt a best game or the worst , it was something middle - i give it 7/10 - because i like Duke

same here, had it's moments and wasn't so bad...

wouldn't tell my friends to run out and buy it for $50 though, wait till price drops in half

It wasn't that bad, it just that I've been expecting a bit more for a game that toke so long to complete.

It wasn't that bad, it just that I've been expecting a bit more for a game that toke so long to complete.

I was hoping to play it for more than one day. :)

I guess it's like OFP:DR. After you reboot the development for the second time to keep up with technology, your assets age out and have to be rebuilt.

Should´ve stayed unreleased, that way we could still have dreams about a good game .. as it stands now they killed the duke - i haven´t played a game that sucks so hard in a long time :(

Should´ve stayed unreleased, that way we could still have dreams about a good game .. as it stands now they killed the duke - i haven´t played a game that sucks so hard in a long time :(

Again I don't think its a train werck. There are many games out there that is much worse then DNF.

We all loved the Duke because he was so very unique. A Sequel always destroy big Dreams. Think how Doom III was. Part I+II are still living legends while the third was a kick in the balls. Not because it was a bad game, a legend is always hard to beat. SoF was the same (ok, the 3. was really shitty).

What i saw so far was not so different from D3D.

Btw, you have the same symptom with OFP and A1,A2.

I bought it and must say it isn't as bad as people write on the forums (also it is getting annoying since the Steam forums are a mess now). First of all its really captures the Duke feeling quite good. Also I didn't expect anything from this game so there weren't any unrealistic expectations to be shattered. It isn't great but isn't bad either but it is definitely fun. :cool:

I was hoping to play it for more than one day.
Same, but then again many so called good games are far shorter than this one.

Multiplayer is fun aswell but would be better with dedicated servers though. :)

Yea, can't understand why so many people are hating on it. It's good fun and people should be happy it's finally out.

Pfft. Haters gonna hate.

A lot of the time the problems is reviewers who are too young to even remember games from the 80's and 90's.

Too many of them thinking playing Doom a couple of times makes them old school gamers.

I haven't played it yet but if it was purposely designed too look and play like the old 90's game with a small upgrade in graphics then comparing it to newer games isn't appropriate.

Edited by jblackrupert

And it seems the game actually do not have major game stopping bug as well.

I haven't played it yet but if it was purposely designed too look and play like the old 90's game with a small upgrade in graphics then comparing it to newer games isn't appropriate.

That´s the point. It doesn´t look and play like the old 90´s game - the whole feel is gone. And i am one of the guys who played all duke titles, including the 2D sidescrollers.

Can´t put my finger on it, but i think it´s the corridor approach, everything being divided into sectors and mixed with long loading times inbetween that makes it feel out of place. Adding to that it´s always a back&forth of fighting, dukes ranting or small ingame cutscenes .... and meh. The whole pace of the game has changed, it simply isn´t the Duke i know.

They killed it. End of story :dead:

Nagging about bad reviews? Someone didn't have balls of steel. :cool:

bcYppAs6ZdI

I know, but someone had to say it.

I bought the game, but mostly for its "collection value". The game was medicore at best, so nothing really worth 15 years for. I'm just glad it finally got out so people could see how much time they've wasted waiting for a 15 year old game. And what is the point of reviews if they aren't critical?

Edited by colossus

If I saw a less realistic approach to it, with large amounts of health, multiple weapons to carry, health packs instead of health regeneration, and tons of enemies thrown at you all at once, I would be more interested. To me, DNF seems like the Duke Nukem world thrown into/adapted for Call of Duty mechanics, and therefore I couldn't care less about it.

If I saw a less realistic approach to it, with large amounts of health, multiple weapons to carry, health packs instead of health regeneration, and tons of enemies thrown at you all at once, I would be more interested. To me, DNF seems like the Duke Nukem world thrown into/adapted for Call of Duty mechanics, and therefore I couldn't care less about it.

But isn't that just fine? I mean it's not like Call of Duty mechanics are realistic anyway. :rolleyes:

Seriously, people are too critical these days. I guess people are just spoiled; that's why barely play any mainstream games.