Sign in to follow this  
Lhd23

Some doubts about multiplayer

Hi everyone,I recently bought A2 and A2:Operation Arrowhead from steam with a friend and we played on some coop missions just fine(I was hosting the server from my machine with a 10mbps bandwidth)and we had some doubts:

1-What do I have to do so we can play coop on a single mission(more specifically "Death from Above")?

2-Why ARMEX keeps changing it's inventory to dlc's that neither of us have(PMC and BAF) and can we get the equipment we chose without starting an operation which only uses the last selected vehicle for both players.

3-Some hints so we can improve our multiplayer experience(both are new to the ArmA series)

PS:Some threads said to copy the mission file to the MP folder but in my steamapps/commom arma 2 and OA folder both Missions and MPMissions folder only contain a readme with only "Singlemissions" and "MPMissions" respectively wrote in them.So where are the mission's files?

Thanks in Advance.

Original ArmA 2 OA missions are in missions_e.pbo file. You would need you extract this file, find mission you wand and open that mission in editor and add some playable roles. Then save as multiplayer mission. I have once remade some mission from OFP campaign to be playable for two players.

If you want to read about gaming tacticks, try Dslyecxi's ArmA2 Tactics, Techniques, & Procedures Guide:

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

3-Some hints so we can improve our multiplayer experience(both are new to the ArmA series)

Unless you are playing right next to each other then Teamspeak and a mod called ACRE to improve communication

1-What do I have to do so we can play coop on a single mission(more specifically "Death from Above")?.

For me I have to go into documents/ arma 2 oa / your profile / mpmissions.

2-Why ARMEX keeps changing it's inventory to dlc's that neither of us have(PMC and BAF) and can we get the equipment we chose without starting an operation which only uses the last selected vehicle for both players

Im not exactly sure what your saying but, everyone has a "lite version" of the dlc. As far as I know the only way to get the weapons you selected is to start the mission and if you want just vote to quit right after, not ideal but it works.

Teamspeak, experience, teamplay, planning etc etc. its a complicated subject in all honestly and everyone gets to the solution a different way.

PS:Some threads said to copy the mission file to the MP folder but in my steamapps/commom arma 2 and OA folder both Missions and MPMissions folder only contain a readme with only "Singlemissions" and "MPMissions" respectively wrote in them.So where are the mission's files?

Thanks in Advance.

1st answer hopefully resolved this one

Find a squad to play with. I think most squads won't turn away new players as long as they show a degree of maturity.

Then there are different kinds of squads, the really serious people, and then the not so serious people. Both, I would think, teach/train their members. I know we do.

And then the inevitable plug:): if you're looking for a not-so-serious squad to join, check us out, the link is in my signature. We're based around the UTC+1 timezone though, so if that's outside of your range you might wanna look elsewhere.

Also, read this:

http://ttp2.dslyecxi.com/

can we get the equipment we chose without starting an operation which only uses the last selected vehicle for both players.

Thats mission based means its scripted so that you get what you get.

Good suggestion for you is to get into the mpeditor and build your own missions theres many tutorials,

and people that can help you with that, heck if you need help give me a shout.

Thanks for the help everyone,it has cleared many of my doubts,but I still can't find my missions folder, do I have to complete it so it will show on multiplayer just like the campaign missions do?

(Anyone that has the steam version could clarify that to me?)

Thanks for the invitation Concurssi I will talk to my friend about it.

About the mpeditor do I have to download it or is it the included editor in the game?

Thanks for the help again.:D

About the mpeditor do I have to download it or is it the included editor in the game?

For the editor theres 2 of them, theres the singleplayer editor which you can find in sp it will say editor,

then for the Mp editor all you do is:

1. go to multiplayer

2. go to new

3. it will say create new game after you hit new previous step.

4. leave the port alone

5. put it on internet, then hit ok

6. you will see a list of islands to choose from on the left, and any missions for those islands on the right.

Any missions you build will showup on the right for the island you built it on.

7. Pick an island

8. at the top right it says new editor

9. after you picked all the previous hit play at the bottem right

10. you will be in the editor on the map you chose.

11. to get started just double click on the map somewhere you wish to place a soldier, or whatever.

Saving and exporting missions

1. first thing is first you will need to know where your Mpmissions folder is for usermissions, as any scripts

you will need and you will need 1 has to go into the folder of the mission.

2. two types of saving:

- usermission

- export to mulitplayer missions

usermission

when you build a mission big or small save it as a usermade mission first always and save constantly.

this usermisson will create a folder with the title of your mission in the mpmissions folder in your usermissions folder.

export to mulitplayer missions

this will create a pbo and move the mission to your mpmissions folder in your main Arma2 directory.

the pbo can be opened by an upboer such as cpbo, or unpbo or Binpbo http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/BinPBO

==============================================

Heres the thing you dont necessarly have to use the mp editor ou can edit in the regular editor which you dont have

to setup, just go to editor in sp and do all your editing, pick an island and have at it, but once you save, save as a

usermission, to make it mp compatible you will need to add a respawn system in the mission once you have that then you can export to mp.

Best way is to go to mp editor as you wont be able to respawn in sp as you will need to test your mission.

play or test your missions

to test your mission in the editor or even play missions just hit preview at the bottem right be sure to save as a

usermission before you do so or your work will be lost.

about it to start, if you need a tutorial on how to use the sp or mp editor then look here:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Mission_Editor

lastly the sp and the mp editor are the same in terms of editing except mp will be a little different because of the

mp environement. So if your building an mp mission do it in the mpmission editor.

Any questions let me know I'd be happy to walk you through the editor if you need help.

Thanks for the aswers Günter I already started making some,but could you give a link to a more complete tutorial, this one helped with most of the things but I still want to now how to put those markers that show distance and lead you to the objective (the orange ones).

And still there isn't someone who can tell me where are my mission files?(Steam Version)

Thanks for the reply!:)

Hi, if im not wrong... the yellow Objective indicators that you're talking about, are the waypoints (F4 in the missions editor), there's an option on the waypoints (aswell as in the triggers) to show it (the yellow marker that you said) allways, never or in cadet mode only; if you're playing on the last degree of difficulty it don't shows up by default, but it'll show up by deffault in any of the other difficulty settings. If it dissapears... then open the map and close it, it'll show up again for a while. Let's C ya

I would recommend getting more familiar with the editor so you can make custom missions for yourselves if you don't find any public ones you like. Also, I like playing on pub servers with lots of people with friends.

Thanks for the aswers Günter I already started making some,but could you give a

link to a more complete tutorial

Your welcome, heres a page that covers alot of areas, on various subjects of editing.

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=6751

If you want and or are up for it we could hook up on my ventrilo and I can walk you through the basics of editing,

I have done this before with another guy and it helped out. up to you.

I still want to now how to put those markers that show distance and lead you to the objective (the orange ones).

on the right it say waypoint in the editor make sure you click on that, then click on your guy (player) to highlight him and then double

click a distance away from your player and you will insert a waypoint, basica waypoint is a move waypoint, then after that

if you want another way point keep double clicking on the map where u want your guy to go.

Thing is though, waypoints are separate from tasks I think.

Another shameless plug: on the nakedfanatics forum there's a thread called Brew's mission making tutorial. It shows you how to create tasks. I'll post the link when I get home if you haven't found it already.

Edit: here's the link to the tutorial:

http://nakedfanatics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4589

Edited by Concurssi

Good tutorial but I think he should have outlined it a little better with some bold font and maybe colors to signify subjects of importance

as well as points of interest in reference to the pics, I mean if you read it it is self explanatory but when you really look at it,

your reading a cluster of paragraphs followed by pics.

But waypoints arent tasks they are 2 different things, if you put a guy down then switch to waypoints then just double

click a distance a way and you have a waypoint, then theres the properties of waypoints such as:

- waypoint type

- waypoint radius

-waypoint placement

basic stuff, based on when and where you "can" use them. all depends on what the mission maker wants to do.

Edited by Gnter Severloh

Maybe, but IIRC it still shows you how to make the task markers, and I don't think it was meant to be a comprehensive tutorial, more like a quickstart guide.

Thing is though, waypoints are separate from tasks I think.

Another shameless plug: on the nakedfanatics forum there's a thread called Brew's mission making tutorial. It shows you how to create tasks. I'll post the link when I get home if you haven't found it already.

Edit: here's the link to the tutorial:

http://nakedfanatics.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=4589

Thank you for the shameless plug:yay:

Good tutorial but I think he should have outlined it a little better with some bold font and maybe colors to signify subjects of importance

as well as points of interest in reference to the pics, I mean if you read it it is self explanatory but when you really look at it,

your reading a cluster of paragraphs followed by pics.

Thank you for your comment about my tutorial, im very happy if someone likes it.:D

It was never really meant for public viewing or any serious mission making, but more to give something back to Naked Fanatics after all the good Mp gaming they have given me when they sayed they needed more missions for their server.

So its not really as good as it could be, but i do appreciate your critsism alot.:) It might get some updates in the future now when its famous hehe =P

And for anyone who reads this, the briefing part doesnt work with JIP but do accept my excuses for that screw up.

And Tasks and waypoint Tasks are indeed different. Waypoints only tell the unit what to when it arrives at the waypoint while a task is a written part of a briefing wich ticks off when a condition has been met, this condition could be triggerd by a waypoint though.

The orange markers indeed are waypoints, but im not sure if they can be given custom text or not.

Both waypoints and tasks show up as orange markers, by the way. :)

And umm... what's JIP?

Its Join In Progress, you need to intialize the briefing in a special way to get it to show for people who join later than the mission start.

As it is now it doesnt show at all to those late joiners, and to make it both show and work correctly takes some work wich i havent got the hang of yet.

And does Tasks show up as Orange markers too? Hmm how could i have missed that?:eek: