Sign in to follow this  
stormridersp

AI vs Clutter

I have a question but I dont know if it belongs here or Map Editing forum. It may belong to both so here it comes.

I´m currently developing a Musa Qaleh custom map. I´m trying to be as close as possible to the real thing and that includes agriculture.

Helmand is heavy dependent on agriculture, puppy fields, corn, whatever it be, it fills the green zone. But as already tested, if I fill even a small portion of its planted fields with objects (vegetation) the map gets already unusable. Adding tall grass and trees to the equation is out of question.

My work around is to make heavy use of clutters, to reduce the map fixed object quantity. Clutters are "virtual objects", so it may help.

My question come when it relates to AI. Is the AI clutter sensitive? Or can they see through clutters? I know that clutter provides no cover from bullets, but how about cover from AI view?

cheers

I wrote the topic above in the Mission Editing Forum, but got no luck, no answer.

Could anyone here provide any information regarding AI vs Clutters?

Can one hide from AI behind a Tall Grass Clutter?

Cheers

in my own exp the AI has a habit of seeing through anything, even whole buildings.

No...clutter won´t hide you..

but as far as i know Rip31st is using large amounts of Wheat (no clutter) on his map and that seems to work quite well with the ai. Maybe you ask him via pm about this...

Ill be keeping an eye on this thread as I am making a Bamian map along similar lines for vegetation. I think getting custom Low poly/quality Vegetation may help immensely as the Millions of polys per second the game can render grows quite exponentially with vegetation.

Ill be keeping an eye on this thread as I am making a Bamian map along similar lines for vegetation. I think getting custom Low poly/quality Vegetation may help immensely as the Millions of polys per second the game can render grows quite exponentially with vegetation.

That´s a great idea, low poly poppies, corn and real wheat.

AI can't see through grass and buildings. This myth was busted multiple times before.

If you think that only you can hide under the bush and kill the enemy that doesn't see you through leaves - you are very wrong.

Clutter kills. There is no view geometry in it. If you want ai not to see through grass, then create a model with a proper view lod and install the model via visitor rather then use it as clutter.

Otherwise, you go prone, you can't see, but they can see you.