Sign in to follow this  
Berliner19

ArmA2:OA Beta Patch Build 77706

There seems to be a problem with this patch:

All units have built-in TI devices.

When I place any unit on a map at night and click on preview I start in some sort of TI mode immediately.

When I press the N key, I get the normal NV screen with a "Thermal off" message (if the unit has NVGoggles), or I go back to the "normal night view" when the unit has no NVGoggles.

When I press N again to switch NV off, I go back to that TI screen with message: "Thermal on".

At day I start in the "normal view", but when I press N I go into thermal view.

ArmA: Advanced Modern Warfare :D

The difference in visuals is mind-blowing.

Unfortunately it also comes with quite a hefty performance penalty, at least for me.

So is the AToC set to 7 by default now or do we have to manually turn it on in the cfg?

So is the AToC set to 7 by default now or do we have to manually turn it on in the cfg?

In my case it was set to 7 by default. Hopefully there will be an in-game selector for this by the time the next full patch rolls out.

i just wondered..i can confirm the n -thermal view thing..i'm back to last patch, cause i need N for movement..dang i'd like to try out ai improvements..

Maruk plz look into that

I cant believe that game looks so much better and realistic. I admire to new grass and threes and i definitely admire vegetation in distance... completely new game after all that time. I kinda suffer because that :) ...

I cant believe that game looks so much better and realistic. I admire to new grass and threes and i definitely admire vegetation in distance... completely new game after all that time. I kinda suffer because that :) ...

Yep, especially distant trees look great now :)

edit: too bad the white sparkling pixels are still there :(

Edited by @ST

After some initial testing, I can confirm that convoys are much better at staying on the road. :)

Great, thanks a lot!

Vegetation really looks much better now! I have also a bit of performance down cause of that, but its not that hard.

Ordering the AI in specific cover is great, same as the getinVehicles under danger fix

problem with convoys is now that the last vehicles get stuck sometimes and dont move anymore

Edited by Coffeecat

Love the new vegetation but i get a massive perfomance drop while using this ATOC=7, specially when using scopes, is there away of lowing the ATOC setting?

thanks

Thanks BIS and nice to see AI is on the agenda again, looks like some nice fixes/additions.

Can confirm there are something broken with NVG's as others already said it give you some kind of thermal view.

/KC

Right on! :cool:

Wondered why I havent seen a beta patch for awhile since the recent stream..

That huge fix list must be the culprit :D Lovin it.. especially AI cover/boarding improvement

Glad to see all these great fixes lately..You devs are refreshing to see as alot of studios lately (EA) are letting their games rot once released and theyre losing alot of the pc gamers that way

Updates like these and the great ARMA modders are keeping my passion for ARMA 2 alive and im sure its the same for alot of the community

thanks again BIS.. Keep it up! :yay:

I really hope you will apply your fixes to Arma 2 as well!

Now this is an epic beta! I love all the AI tweaks. Thanks again guys!

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Glad to see all these great fixes lately..You devs are refreshing to see as alot of studios lately (EA) are letting their games rot once released and theyre losing alot of the pc gamers that way

Updates like these and the great ARMA modders are keeping my passion for ARMA 2 alive and im sure its the same for alot of the community

thanks again BIS.. Keep it up! :yay:

That's why they are a step of above all the others in my book. They actually care about the s*&t they make. Refreshing indeed.

Great Beta.

Rigid Formations?

One of the entries on the changelog indicate a harsher adherence to formation while in Danger mode. I understand that the previous softer formations may have disrupted the lanes of fire somewhat-- yet I feel that the greater emphasis on keeping in cover (no matter the formation) gave the squad a higher chance of survival. (and probably looked more natural)

The way I experienced the increased 'magnetism' of building corners was by seeing AI ignore perfectly good stone fences right next to them and rush forward some 30-40m to take advantage of buildings.

Perhaps a happy medium can be achieved? Particularly in places of low cover (such as the plentiful open fields of Chernarus) hard-cover is at a premium and should be taken advantage of.

L-marks the spot

Overall I like this feature and felt that the UI was easy to use and understand. The sheer number of building-corner spots can be daunting and does somewhat clutter up the selection process.

I certainly experienced the trouble of getting the exact spot chosen more than once.

Stealthmode

I've noted before but I still really wish something was done with stealth mode. Currently it DOESN'T do what it says on the box. Currently it feels like a slightly less responsive variation of Danger mode-- however as the AI still SPRINTS from cover to cover the squad invariably compromises itself.

A much better behavioural pattern would be to limit movement speed to slow/walk, remove the bounding overwatch, keep the formation ultra-soft, and finally force the AI prone if an enemy is spotted.

Attack click

Attack clicking or asking AI to 'engage' a target consistently results in the attacking-AI conducting a feeble attack and dying. The AI will leave the safety of the squad and then conduct some harebrained individual flanking attempt. Unfailingly the AI will (as part of its bounding overwatch routine) expose itself to enemy fire and die.

Attack clicking fails because: The AI is slow to react and get into position, the AI utilizes bounding ovewatch unsupported, and the AI leaves the safety of the squad.

Bug: Taskhint icon

Its probably been mentioned before (and I haven't checked devhaven) but the Taskhint icon is warped.

-k

Thanks for adressing so many issues BI.

I'm personally finding the formation to be too rigid again. It is interfereing with the AI finding their own cover when under fire. Overall I actually liked the formation in the previous beta. I hope you consider softening the formation a bit when units are under fire.

Is the prone bug still in this beta? Have they even took that into contex of this issue? Its where the unit is in prone position and moves that the gun and arm move out way to far.

All my grass just turned white, unless i disable AA. Ill check later tonight/tomorrow to see if the problem is on my end.

I like the L at the place where you order them to take cover though.

EDIT: PhenomII 955, 4gb ram, 4870 512mb with 10.6 drivers, ill try to update those later.