Sign in to follow this  
rübe

[SP] RUBE Fire Ants

Same for me with the dialogs. Still nothing, but the arrow.

:plain: Dang.

Well, I'm out of luck, so I went to the editing and scripting section to ask for some help...

Hopefully someone else out there has a friggin clue about what the heck I messed up exactly. :D

--

EDIT: Yeah, the dialog finally works (everywhere)! It was just me beeing silly again.

Anyway, how about some more feedback about the actual mission? What works? What doesnt? What's lame? What's missing? Any whishes (though I won't guarantee anything, bwahaha)?

Edited by ruebe
Heureka!

Menu is now working as advertised, brilliant! I love this mission, the random nature of it just makes it the perfect sandbox mission with total replayability. Loving it so far, absolutely no negatives, all positives.

Thanks for this great mission Ruebe.

SD

Although it still has some bugs, I regard it as one of the most interesting ofp/arma projects I've seen. The mission is random (which forces using tactics, and not playing by memory), it allows for some customization, it seems to react flexibly to the course of the mission (no: do or die - if you take too much loses, then pull back, which adds a realistic feel to it) and at the same time it is very cinematic (voicing, burning houses, civilians, environmental effects, etc.). I'm really glad that I was not repulsed by the first run of the mission (which resulted in exiting it because the leader of my squad got stuck and all other squads were fighting in a chaotic manner).

So the mission has some bugs. Sometimes my squad (I tend not to play as a squad leader) gets stuck. It often happens that the other fire ants get in contact and there's shooting all over the place, and yet they do not report being engaged and the mission goes on as the 'premature contact' wasn't made. The other thing is a bit low performance of that mission. But I'm not complaining ;)

As for suggestions, as far as I understand the mission could be (relatively) easily ported to other islands and even other mods, because it uses some general rules and libraries of units. So the general rules (algoritms) could stay, and the libraries could be replaced. Is that correct? If this is so I think it could become a great tool for testing the possibilities given by new mods in the area of single player. I'd love to see the Invasion44 version of the mission :rolleyes: (without the chopper transport of course ;) ).

Anyway, great work. It's really appreciated.

Hey, I'm glad you guys like it so far.

I'm really glad that I was not repulsed by the first run of the mission (which resulted in exiting it because the leader of my squad got stuck and all other squads were fighting in a chaotic manner).

Yeah, that's why I labeld the mission alpha-ish. I'm aware that there are some problems left.

Sometimes my squad (I tend not to play as a squad leader) gets stuck.

Yes. That's most likely because the leader (or another fireant leader) died while having a conversation with the HQ. And that's because kbWasSaid doesn't return true (the reciever died) and my radio-stack get's stuck (which is mission/flow critical). I've already tried to lessen such situations but came to the conclusion that I have to either rework my radio-stack somehow or to simply hack it with allowDamage false for the duration of a conversation.

I've decided to go with the allowDamage hack for now.. So this should stop with the next update.

The other thing is a bit low performance of that mission.

Again, such a statement would be worth a lot more, if you could tell me on what system you play the mission. I by myself can't really judge this anyway for I still play on a very crappy system myself.. bwahaha :o

As for suggestions, as far as I understand the mission could be (relatively) easily ported to other islands and even other mods, because it uses some general rules and libraries of units. So the general rules (algoritms) could stay, and the libraries could be replaced. Is that correct?

Absolutely. Althought there is a catch. :D

The port to Chernarus is done for the most part (need to play this a few times more...) and also I've already written some conversion notes. So in case you aren't discouraged by the announced catch:

* RUBE Fire Ants
* conversion notes
-----------------------------------------------------

While this mission may be theoretically brought to any
world/map that is big enough (some villages/towns and 
at least two airports) in a few minutes, it wont be _that_ 
fast, nor easy in practice.

* Requirements:

- the world/map needs to be well defined/configured,
  including a well designed road-network.

- RUBE\lib\world.sqf needs to be updated to make all the
  RUBE_WORLD_is* functions work. This requires a categorized 
  list of all objects without ingame classes that world/map 
  actually uses. (The files are to be listed all lowercase and
  without file-extension... but please, don't do this manually,
  instead write a small script in your favorite script-language
  that iterates over the relevant and extracted pbo's, generating
  the needed output. Really, we don't want to have any errors here.)

- in case other factions (maybe addons) shall be used, you
  need to update all the related RUBE functions which are:

- RUBE\fn\fn_selectFaction*.sqf et al.
  - RUBE\fn\fn_spawnFaction*.sqf et al.

(yeah, that's quite some work and not that easy... 
    ...I'm sorry)

* Conversion:

- import/merge, copy all files (except the original mission.sqm)  

- There is exactly one civilian unit (player) on the map.
  Maybe change it's class to fit the world, though it doesn't
  really matter.

- There are two (up to three, see Chernarus version) markers
  on the map that mark the airports to be used.

- And there is one marker for an alternative start position 
  for the UN convoy that may appear later... if possible that
  one should go to some remote road-end at the border of the
  map (simulating foreign reinforcements)

- Place down circular ELLIPSE markers named "blacklist_%1" with
  %1 beginning at 1 to mark bad spots such as tiny islands or
  whatever you think isn't appropriate for a random position.
  All markers need to be of the same size. 

- configure.sqf and configureOptions.sqf in the mission
  directory need to be adjusted (defaults based on world/map)

- initIntro.sqf probably too (adjusting the used factions again)  

- maybe some story-related strings in stringtable.xml

- oh and maybe you'd like to choose another loadingscreen image

That's it.

I'd love to see the Invasion44 version of the mission (without the chopper transport of course ).

That could be a bit more complicated, since choppers are mission-critical. While the ones at the start are more show than anything else (and thus could be simply deleted), you're supposed to leave the area with choppers on success, so that part of the mission would need a tweak or two.

But otherwise, yeah sure, why not.

Nice job. I didn't notice any bugs. I had a lot of fun with this.

We took too many casualties and, after shooting down both choppers with my MG as they were coming in for a strafe :D , I ended up the only one alive, having to haul my ass a good 4000m to the NATO safe point. Drama!! :p

I played it for a few more times. And every time I played it I discovered something new. For example...

...the bastards are using human shields!

I depboed the mission and took a glance at the files... there are a lot of functions, fsms (I think I've never seen so extensive use of fsms in a custom mission so far) etc. It gives the idea of the enormous work you put into it.

One thing that could be considered a bug is when you become a squad leader and you are ordered to pull back you need to activate 'set as current task' in the tasks manager with regard to either OPFORT or point Viper because if you do not do it, there will be nothing there when you reach the destitnation (I reached the point Viper and it was a lone well on the desert; and there were no radio message, hint or anything like it). I guess the camp should be spawned there when you chose the point of your retreat (but you're far away from that point?).

I also think that the mission is sometimes a bit too hard. It's because of the fact that static weapons are too deadly. A few seconds and you can lose most of your squad because the AI soldiers don't know they should take cover from it. And although I really appreciate (seriously) the attitude towards the safety of Takistan that you expressed some posts earlier:

Shit happens. :D

[/Quote]

according to witch you are not there to save the day and win the war all by yourself but to take part in something which is in high degree not dependant on your choices and survive, I think the static weapons (and the ones mounted on vehicles) should be less deadly. I will try playing the mission with some of the Zeus AI modules enabled (especially those affecting accuracy and dispersion) and see if that's better.

Again, such a statement would be worth a lot more, if you could tell me on what system you play the mission. I by myself can't really judge this anyway for I still play on a very crappy system myself.. bwahaha :o

My system is: Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (2410MHz), Radeon HD4870 512Mb, 4Gb Ram, WinXP, and as I run the mission for several more times I noticed that the performance varies a lot from one time to another. It may be, for example, dependent on the location on the map.

...having to haul my ass a good 4000m to the NATO safe point. Drama!!

That's quite a lot for a walk in hostile territory. I hope you didn't mind too much, hehe. The nearest retreat-point (out of the two options you have) should hopefully be a bit nearer to you in most cases (at around 2000-3000m). Though it's especially hard to find a good place for the Pit Viper's Camp in Takistan, for there are not too much covered places around.

Also I wonder if there is still going on enough while retreating. For in fact, I had planned to spawn some more stuff around that way (not only enemies, but also I planned to integrated some friendly inhabitants that might help you a bit in case you stumble up on them or simply some additional civilians...)

the bastards are using human shields!

:D Actually that's the RUBE\ai_exterminate.fsm at work. While a group of civilians lurks around some house, a hostile group comes to gathers them (that's the human shield part, I guess, hehehe), they will then be put into a line and executed, once all are together (this runs also in the intro, btw.).

Too bad we don't have a surrender-walk-animation that actually matches the speed of any of the regular walk animations (let alone the female models). So this might occasionally look a bit funny/awkward. :p

One thing that could be considered a bug is when you become a squad leader and you are ordered to pull back you need to activate 'set as current task' in the tasks manager

While you indeed are supposed to select on of these options as the current task if you are the leader, this isn't really necessary to make this bit of the mission work. All this does is setting the correct waypoints which matters only if playing novice/easy, so you may follow the yellow arrows. (oh and btw. if you're still under AI leadership at this point, you may outvote him by just selecting the other task ask current task.)

...there will be nothing there when you reach the destitnation (I reached the point Viper and it was a lone well on the desert; and there were no radio message, hint or anything like it).

:D Well, that "lone well" is exactly the meeting point (not the camp itself!). Remember, camp Pit Viper is supposed to be "well hidden". Anyway, it's very likely, as well as intended, that you arrive at the meeting point prior to the guys from Pit Viper, that are supposed to meet you. Just wait there at the meeting point and they should show up, pick you up and lead you to their hidden camp.

But yeah, now that you say it, I can see how this might be very unclear or even frustrating. I guess a small conversation (player to himself or to a buddy if anyone is with him) à la "hmmm, nobody here yet hu? And this is really the meeting point? Well, let's wait then." could make things more clear.

Also I might consider to send out the Pit Viper "welcome committee" a bit earlier (it's based on your/the players distance to the meeting point), though I think it's way better if you indeed arrive earlier (to simulate that Pit Viper first observes the meeting point and watches you to see if everything is safe...)

I guess the camp should be spawned there when you chose the point of your retreat

There is a fsm running for each option, and things get spawned based on the distance of you/the player to these points (in two intervals: first structures only, second units). So no matter what your currentTask is set to, you may meet either the UNFORT leader or the Pit Viper "welcome committee". And also each of them will walk up to you if you're close enough to them.

I also think that the mission is sometimes a bit too hard. It's because of the fact that static weapons are too deadly.

Agreed. While each fireant team has two AT gunners (and thus potentially plenty of firepower), the AI AT gunners do generally a lousy job.

I think the static weapons (and the ones mounted on vehicles) should be less deadly.

IMHO the static MG aren't that bad and usually dealt with fine even by your AI teammates. But what can indeed screw you up in seconds are the vehicles, be it an mg variant or even a friggin aa-gun of the ZU, hehe.

The idea here is this: these vehicles aren't mounted to beginn with. Instead their crew is hanging out around somewhere (RUBE\ai_waitingInTheWings.fsm)... and on alarm they will mount their vehicles. So the key here is surprise. If you manage to take out the crew on the first strike, they wont be able to mount these deadly vehicles in the first place and everything will be alot easier. On the other hand, go in and make some noise, these guys will be alarmed, mount their vehicles and you're screwed... hehe (granted, this isn't too obvious, isn't it?)

Maybe thats a bit unfair and needs to be watered down a bit. Maybe I simply need to tweak the numbers a bit more or it's a question of balance for smaller towns are much easier to deal with than the bigger cities because fewer enemies will be spawned.

I will try playing the mission with some of the Zeus AI modules enabled (especially those affecting accuracy and dispersion) and see if that's better.

hm.. let me know what happened. Sounds interesting. :)

I noticed that the performance varies a lot from one time to another. It may be, for example, dependent on the location on the map.

I have no clue where the major bottleneck is. But for the next version I've increased the particles drop interval quite a bit (fire/smoke). That might already help quite a bit I guess, but we'll see.

Thanks for your extensive feedback. This helps a lot!

Edited by ruebe

I keep spawning out in the middle of nowhere with no equipment, no matter what I select in the beginning.

I keep spawning out in the middle of nowhere with no equipment, no matter what I select in the beginning.

uhm, and you're sure you meet the requirements? Do you call ArmA2 your own or are you just owner of Arrowhead standalone?

Otherwise I'm out of ideas, sorry.

Anyway, new version is up (alpha-20110213). And also the Chernarus version to spice things up a bit (though it's really a shame the houses in Chernarus are inaccessible for the most part :mad:).

Enjoy. :D

Thanks for Chernarus version! Last mission played out well... Still working great, (although the Osprey didn't leave, so it was a bit annoying to hear the sound while sneaking around)

(although the Osprey didn't leave ...)

Yeah, that's a bug in Arma which fortunately is already fixed in the latest beta. So either you wait for the next official patch, run the latest beta (which runs totally fine) or you may still choose another faction to play with.

Try NAPA, the grooviest faction currently in the game anyway.

:D

uhm, and you're sure you meet the requirements? Do you call ArmA2 your own or are you just owner of Arrowhead standalone?

Otherwise I'm out of ideas, sorry.

Anyway, new version is up (alpha-20110213). And also the Chernarus version to spice things up a bit (though it's really a shame the houses in Chernarus are inaccessible for the most part :mad:).

Enjoy. :D

Combined ops with all the dlc's

I finally participated in a mission where the objective was reached without problems (I mean not problems of the mission itself, but according to plans) :) Great variety of outcomes for sure!!

Tinylittle annoyance at extraction:

We were standing on a meadow with my squadmates (I was just a member, not leader) We got a waypoint for extraction, like couple of hundred meters away. So everyone WALKed there. Extraction chopper arrived, greeted us, and landed, where we had been standing before we got the landing waypoint. :) But this time noone moved. So I switched to leader, and ordered everyone to getin chopper.

Combined ops with all the dlc's

In that case I have no idea. Sorry.

I finally participated in a mission where the objective was reached without problems (I mean not problems of the mission itself, but according to plans) :) Great variety of outcomes for sure!!

... so I take it that the mission is still too hard. ;)

Tinylittle annoyance at extraction:

Now that you mention it, I've already noted to revisit that part of the mission. Something is indeed a bit bogus there.

I'm currently tweaking the enemy occupation forces (mostly cutting down the numbers, hehe) and I've already detected another source for a possible mission dead-end (too low max. age for kbWasSaid)... shall be up some time next week or something.

alpha-20110226 is up.

Some bugs got fixed (should run quite robust now and also the extraction should work better) and the composition of the enemy occupation forces has been tweaked. I hope the mission isn't too easy now, so let me hear what you guys think. ;)

It hasn't been easy. Actually it is quite fun now. Anything can happen, but it is a lot more fluid now...

Just in case anyone is still playing some lovely ArmAII (I sure am, now that I finally managed to put a box together that runs ArmAII in super sweet and awesome, bwuahaha); these missions have just recieved a small update:

• Removed scripted fog that vanishes after the first task (move into position) has been completed...
  • ...enabled RUBE weather module instead (...so make sure you select a lovely date and time in the intro). :cool:

That's about it (besides some other minor tweaks/fixes).

How many of your own scripts are you using for this mission?

Just wondering.

I usually see you in Editing & Scripting threads.

How many of your own scripts are you using for this mission?

Uhm, lots (i.e. the compelte RUBE library is embeded in the mission as script version)? :D

What I put in my script library is usually intended for some project/mission (unless I'm just screwing around :bounce3:).

In this case, I've written the following down (from the header of the init.sqf file):

Built to demonstrate latest RUBE library additions such as
   - RUBE_AI_taskPatrol (fsm)
   - RUBE_AI_waitingInTheWings (fsm)
   - RUBE_AI_seizePosition (fsm)
   - RUBE_RECIPE_townOccupation

And now also the weather module is in there. But I guess that's it for this mission.

Next I want to do something that showcases/finally uses my draggables. Maybe some kind of defence/protect mission (I like those usually; not much walking, hahaha). And then I'm not sure about my buildables (COIN-alternative to put down structures) and if I manage to come up with something that makes good use of that (or if that concept is even useable/fun at all). I always wanted to make some dynamic/endless one-mission campaign, but that will take some time... :eek: