tpw

Dynamic View Distance (DVD)

Okay so i'm a complete noob, but you said it must say the mod is activated in the top right hand corner, and it doesn't on mine.

Im a bit lost, when you say extract the @DVD folder anywhere, do you mean anywhere on my computer?

or can you give me a recommended place to put the folder, also do i take the 'addon' folder and 'keys' folder out?

Sorry i just really want to play some Arma 2, and i have lagggggg =(

Put the @DVD folder in your arma2 directory -keeping the addons folder inside the @DVD folder!

You can put the key that is inside the keys folder in your arma directory 'keys' folder :cool:

Okay so i have put the key in the key folder, i have the @DVD in the Arma 2 folder, and i have dragged the folder called userconfig into the arma 2 folder aswel, i still have some fps problems and nothing seems to have changed.

I have

4 gb ram

nvidia 9800gt

2.3 ghz dual core (i now thats not great, but it passes all the requirements, and all that jazz)

I need this mod to work, but i'm such a noob it's kinda sad. =(

Woodywoody, have you successfully installed any other mods? Sounds to me like you are just having a bit of trouble with the overall concept. Have a look at this: http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=18

DVD is installed like any other mod.

Yeah i think what he's missing ,is how to run/launch mods?

Hi tpw, so when i load up my saved campaign, will i see a message in the corner to confirm i have done it correctly, and this is my first mod i'm ever installing, i only bought the game yesterday.

Thanks

Woodywoody, have you successfully installed any other mods? Sounds to me like you are just having a bit of trouble with the overall concept. Have a look at this: http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=18

DVD is installed like any other mod.

Hi tpw, so when i load up my saved campaign, will i see a message in the corner to confirm i have done it correctly, and this is my first mod i'm ever installing, i only bought the game yesterday.

Thanks

If you've installed the mod correctly (ie read the link I gave you), then a message saying "DVD 1.03 Initialised" will pop up at the top right of screen for a few seconds after you start your saved mission.

Hi okay, i have done everything on that link you send, i bought it on steam so i have done the other thing it said on there aswel (change the launch options to -mod=@DVD) and it still has not worked. I know i'm doing something wrong i just can't see what, its so annoying =@ haha.

The directory is C: > program files > Steam > Steamapps > common > Arma 2

and thats where i have put the userconfig and @DVD folders

also in the arma 2 folder is addons, BEsetup, DirectX, DTA, Keys, missions, MPmissions, (your) userconfig, then a bunch of files and the arma 2 app, and then the @DVD folder

So i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.

If you've installed the mod correctly (ie read the link I gave you), then a message saying "DVD 1.03 Initialised" will pop up at the top right of screen for a few seconds after you start your saved mission.

Hi woody2

I just realised that DVD also depends upon another mod called CBA (community base addons). You can download it here: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6231&highlight=CBA

DVD needs this addon in order to read its configuration files. Sorry, it's been so long since I released DVD that I'd forgotten about the requirement.

How does DVD work with setviewdistance set by a mission editor?

How does DVD work with setviewdistance set by a mission editor?

It will override the editor set viewdistance with its own, every few seconds.

Hi woody2

I just realised that DVD also depends upon another mod called CBA (community base addons). You can download it here: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6231&highlight=CBA

DVD needs this addon in order to read its configuration files. Sorry, it's been so long since I released DVD that I'd forgotten about the requirement.

I got the mod called CBA in the right folder, and i have DVD in the right folder... i still do not see a message pop up in game to tell me DVD is running. I feel like i might have done something wrong, but mainly because the instructions for this and the CBA mod are both very vague.

I got the mod called CBA in the right folder, and i have DVD in the right folder... i still do not see a message pop up in game to tell me DVD is running. I feel like i might have done something wrong, but mainly because the instructions for this and the CBA mod are both very vague.

So you have @CBA and @DVD in your ‘Arma 2’ folder, have you put the ‘dvd’ ‘userconfig’ into your arma 2 ‘userconfigs’ ?

If the answer is yes to all that then;

When its running you should see a small window top right of the screen (unless you have turned it off), this will give you fps and vd readout.. if I remember rightly:)

The instructions are only vague because they assume that if you are installing this mod, you actually know how to install and activate mods. You've already put CBA and DVD in the right place. You need to copy its config file your arma directory\userconfig\DVD\DVD.hpp . And lastly you need to actually activate the mods, look here for a great summary: http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=18

I hope this helps, let me know if not.

So you have @CBA and @DVD in your ‘Arma 2’ folder, have you put the ‘dvd’ ‘userconfig’ into your arma 2 ‘userconfigs’ ?

If the answer is yes to all that then;

When its running you should see a small window top right of the screen (unless you have turned it off), this will give you fps and vd readout.. if I remember rightly:)

Still not seeing it, but i have everything in the right place.

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

The instructions are only vague because they assume that if you are installing this mod, you actually know how to install and activate mods. You've already put CBA and DVD in the right place. You need to copy its config file your arma directory\userconfig\DVD\DVD.hpp . And lastly you need to actually activate the mods, look here for a great summary: http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=18

I hope this helps, let me know if not.

I have plenty of experience when it comes to modding, just not in this particular game. This is not a very easy game to mod (besides DayZ, i had no trouble). I have done all of that. It still does not work. To make the DayZ mod work i did not have to do any of that, just had to drag the @DayZ folder into the Arma 2 folder and add one word to my .exe properties and it works. Why does DVD require me to download another mod, and then to also move the .pbo files into the addons folder? And then after all that it still doesnt even work.

Kracker give SpiritedMachines launcher a try. Works very well with Steam version and fairly straight forward to use.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?89731-ArmA-2-Game-Launcher&highlight=spiritedmachine

Good video tutorial:

DayZ is a mod with everything in one package. Arma 2 mods are different in that they can be mixed and matched. CBA is a prerequisite of DVD, and most other mods, which is why you have to download that also.

Is there a ArmA3 version of this yet ?

Whaddyaknow, I didn't think anyone used it!

DVD should work under A3 as is, it doesn't use any deprecated scripting commands. Give it a try and let me know if it works or not and I'll make any necessary changes for A3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCa6w5HM4LY&list=PLj7LIw2iwG-FZKdxADJJ1UvHS-iKmBR-J&index=26

A good while back I tried dvd in A3, seem to work o.k. but not great as in really smooth. The video is from my old Athlon 640 '2013', it ran A3 very well really. I did put a request in the addon request thread for the maker to have a look, or maybe sent a pm can't remember now. Either way I didn't get a response so I left it. Thought it would be handy for those having performance issues back then. Also MWVD works well in A3, well did when I tested it around the same period.

DVD should work under A3 as is, it doesn't use any deprecated scripting commands. Give it a try and let me know if it works or not and I'll make any necessary changes for A3.

Yes ! Works :yay: ... THANKS. Must be my favourite ArmA addon EVER ! Without this nothing makes sense. Can you move to ArmA 3 section of Armaholic / Bohemia forum ?

I still use it in A2/CO. I'll give it a whirl in A3 sometime when I'm up to playing again.

---------- Post added at 19:53 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCa6w5HM4LY&list=PLj7LIw2iwG-FZKdxADJJ1UvHS-iKmBR-J&index=26

A good while back I tried dvd in A3, seem to work o.k. but not great as in really smooth. The video is from my old Athlon 640 '2013', it ran A3 very well really. I did put a request in the addon request thread for the maker to have a look, or maybe sent a pm can't remember now. Either way I didn't get a response so I left it. Thought it would be handy for those having performance issues back then. Also MWVD works well in A3, well did when I tested it around the same period.

If not a PM, posting in the original thread is more likely to get a response than requesting an author via the addons request thread - I suspect that a lot of active modders don't read it as they aren't looking for new projects, too busy already.

Hi, I tried the addon again after being away from A3 for a while. At first I thought it was no longer working until I tested with campaign and other mods where it is still working fine. The problem was with WLA Amalgamation where DVD was added to an already saved game. It does not initialise. But fixed it by restarting WLA and DVD inits OK ! I thought I'd lost the saved game but WLA asks to "Continue from previous state" on first load and BINGO ! There's DVD. Don't know if this applies to other mods/scenarios and I wonder if it was the @addon load order as well which I made sure was CBA --> DVD --> addon/mod/scenario.

So this should be good for making vids in intense (high cpu load) combat situations !

Is there a toggle for this ? If not I'd like to request a toggle keyboard shortcut so I can turn this off when taking screen shots. I also think it should be released in the A3 forum.

Just fired this up in Sahrani and the view distance maximum was lower. I can only set it manually in A3 settings to 1.2km. So it looks like DVD is capable of setting distance above this if the machine can handle it ? If this is what is going on here then another +1 to DVD ? However "overall" should be a max of 4km in the bohemia Visibility settings. A bit confused, not sure what's happened here.