Sign in to follow this  
sethos

1080p ruins performance!

Hey,

Finally, after 6 months I found my main culprit for terrible performance. A few months ago I went on a long break from the game due to performance issues. The game was running poorly on my high-end computer and it annoyed me to no end.

I returned with the release of PMC and the game was running worse than ever for me, couldn't play Proving Grounds and the campaign was even worse. It was running at 10-20FPS.

Fast forward to a week ago where I decided to install everything again and the game was running smooth as butter, 60 FPS solid on every map ( with Vsync ), would hit 120 without and I genuinely thought a beta-patch with huge performance fixes was the 'fix'.

... Apparently it was because I'm using my Dell 2407WFP as my primary which is a 1920x1200 monitor. The times I played ArmA with terrible performance, I was using my BenQ 1080p monitor.

Tonight I switched to the BenQ because '1200p' recordings are a pain to work with on YouTube, black bars on the side etc. but as soon as I switched in-game settings to 16:9, 1920x1080p the performance dropped tenfold! Everything was back to like it was months and months ago, hit 20-25FPS on Proving Grounds, tons of micro-stutter and choppiness.

This explains why I always received this roller-coaster like performance, never paid any attention to which monitor I had as primary but it all makes sense now. Now my question it, why on god's green earth does 1080p make my game so choppy and unplayable?

yes its true ...i agree because yesterday ive decided to change my resolution to 1680x1050 from 1920x1080 and i clearly see the difference ...the game is much smoother now ...cant tell you FPS and stuff cause i didn't make the test, even if i have an i7 930 @ 2.8Ghz and a 5850 1Gb ATi, the game still give me problems on performance ...not much but as much to feel ...and ive played online and offline last night, the difference was big ...so yes its true what Sethos said ...

That's just odd. I've been playing @1080 since I got ArmA2, and have never noticed anything but the usual inverse relation between resolution and performance. Something strange is going on...

That's just odd. I've been playing @1080 since I got ArmA2, and have never noticed anything but the usual inverse relation between resolution and performance. Something strange is going on...

agreed, it would be strange if the game would not run faster in 1680*1050 than in 1920*1080.

Question is if the game runs better in 1920*1200 than in 1920*1080 at otherwise same settings (that´s what the op stated).

I've got a BenQ 1920x1200 and it runs about 2fps slower than 1680x1050

Might be your scaling method as this can be done by the graphics card or by the monitor itself. Its set in CCC controls under 'Desktops & Displays' at the bottom click the little black arrow next to the monitor and select 'Configure'

Edited by EDcase