Sign in to follow this  
Logan9773

Player moves like a drunken sailor.

Compared to Armed Assault Arma 2 is smooth as hell. OFP of course has the best animations in terms of fluidness, albeit at the cost of natural looking motion. Outdoors CQB in Arma 2 has been perfectly playable ever since the "evade left/right" movement bug, along with getting fatigue from your own shots, was fixed in some patch last year.

Thanks Cel, I was planning on giving it a try now with some of the supposed fixes. I was wondering if Rg & dyslexic's old mod for that still was necessary or even worked?

---------- Post added at 09:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 PM ----------

You suppose that BIS should be doing whatever it takes to get your money by making it easy to run and hop and dive out of every sticky situation as though you were superhuman? If that were the philosophy we'd just end up with another iteration of the same generic BS that every other producer is pumping out in the hunt for your money.

I find this post humorous coming from someone telling me what a sim should be. I was probably scripting missions before you ever heard of a sim.

And FYI, I walked away from the game because the community behaved like a petulant child when someone pointed out the obvious. I see some things never change.

Edited by Bunks

FFS, this is so frustrating :( And before you tell me to go play COD, I'm an ArmA guy, through and through.

These things are not what was asked for here. No one mentioned being superhuman here but the "go play COD" people.

Yes that is what was asked for "crysis / unreal tournament / quake / doom like movement" most definitely fits the superhuman bill though I think you rather missed my point, specifically that it's not always about chasing every last dollar regardless. I too am frustrated, by the demands of gamers who don't appreciate the technology and tradeoffs, have another read of Whisper's post and the last couple of sentences of SCFStan's. They may exist but I've yet to play a game that has an animation system that can do what Stan suggests and I doubt those that can have the wide-open scope of ArmA. Next generation technology aside that leaves us with a choice, arms and a viewpoint floating in space with a 3rd person avatar that runs on the spot while you micro-adjust or the integrity of the current system which is infinitely superior in a game of this type.

I find this post humorous coming from someone telling me what a sim should be. I was probably scripting missions before you ever heard of a sim.

Oh bravo, *slow claps* a great point well argued.

It seems like the people who are having trouble accurately positioning themselves in CQB are trying to run all the time and not walking. If you're not walking, try double tapping left shift when in CQC and let us know how that goes.

The game still has the binocular weapon switch bug. How old is that bug?

I also stand up if Im prone near certain building edges and rotate into them. Makes my guy stand up and get killed because hes exposed. I should stop rotating if my leg hits a wall not stand up. Also I am forced to stand up if Im prone near certain rocks. It should just stop me from moving forward instead of making me stand up. At least it should switch to middle stance if anything and not UP.

Good arma soldiers have to master these little quirks to survive and thats too much for many people. Its not exactly realistic to have to workaround game quirks just to get more controll over your avatar. I do think alot of people get turned off because of this specific issue and give Arma series an unfair bad name based on the experience. Fixing these things would be a way to address the situation.

I think there is progress in improving this but just a bit more is needed. Getting rid of the all little animation quirks that tend to cost your guy his life in an arguably unfair way is a valid improvement to the game.

400px-Trollface.jpg

PROBLEM WITH ARMA 2?

But seriously.

This thread is shit. Just flames and advertising some mod, needs closing

Simply get used to it until, and if it it gets fixed to your satisfaction. Surely everyone knows about your grievance by now. Only a matter of time right? Right!

The animations, while certainly imperfect, are nowhere near as bad as some of you are making them out to be..

Right, I've been computer gaming for 30 years and AA2's graphics/animations "feel" is among the best I've ever seen, so I can only assume some peoples PC specs are at fault, not the game.

My outfit-

Intel Core2 Duo E8500@3.16GHz

RAM 4.0GB Dual-channel DDR2@400Mhz

NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1024Mb

WinXP Home SP3

HannsG 28" widescreen

Outdoors CQB in Arma 2 has been perfectly playable ever since the "evade left/right" movement bug, along with getting fatigue from your own shots, was fixed in some patch last year.

There is still one transition bug when going from crouch to prone (You sometimes stand up, do a few steps and then jump down), though i cant reliably reproduce it, probably since i never really looked for it. :p

Right, I've been computer gaming for 30 years and AA2's graphics/animations "feel" is among the best I've ever seen,

Same here. Whenever I try other shooters I always feel like I'm playing a game of mouse wars with blokes running about with a fevered twitch. I'd love to see smoother and meatier death animations but I really like the "weighty" feel of controlling a soldier as opposed to a vaporous man/gun species.

Sure, it isn't perfect but it's still more effective than 'insert your vanilla shooter here'.

The only thing I have a real problem with is the animation of the 'running with pistol'. It looks like his arms are glued to his sides.

Other than that, it's all good :D

maybe someone will make a magic carpet mod just for logan;)

I can't see what he is complaining about, i personally hate to feel like i'm floating around shooting people on a magic carpet like in typical fps games.

Maybe he is just too use to games being like that and feels its normal and is having a hard time adjusting to a more realistic movement.

Time needed to adapt in other words.

I remember how funny it felt trying to play OFP after playing other FPS games before but when i got use to it it felt way better than any other fps games and i fell in love with OFP and ARMA2 and could never get into any other fps game seriously.

I would say, even if BI being bother to redo all the handgun related animation would be a big improvement, let alone making the animation transaction much smoother then now :p

You guys can say whatever you want, but the horrible movement is the most hated part of your game. It makes CQB impossible. I've spent 3 years in ROTC, have practiced with multiple real weapons in wargames, and I don't move anywhere near like the player does in game. Its total crap. Your movement is somewhat realistic, except that you went way too far, and now even stepping forward feels like Frankenstein's monster. The worst part though is when you try to stop, or turn. This guy must be made of steel, because the inertia he exhibits is insane. And this what really destroys CQB, and causes him to lurch around like a drunken sailor.

Now you say it, OH GOD LOOK!, all the people are throwing away thier arma2, and all of these people not making urban missions, and moaning/crying on these forums and look over there i can see people running into walls because of arma 2 horrendus movement, its almost like they cant enjoy the game anymore :rolleyes: [sarcasm]

There is still one transition bug when going from crouch to prone (You sometimes stand up, do a few steps and then jump down), though i cant reliably reproduce it, probably since i never really looked for it. :p

Thats the one I was talking about.

Soldier stands up and takes a few steps forward.

You have no control over it you just have to hope you're not too close to steep drop. It's not a game killer but annoying as heck when it happens

especially when theres nothing you can do (That I know of) to stop it.

There was another, spawning running in the direction you were going when you died and having to tap your keys a few times to get it to stop. That appears to be fixed.

Soldier stands up and takes a few steps forward.

You have no control over it you just have to hope you're not too close to steep drop. It's not a game killer but annoying as heck when it happens

especially when theres nothing you can do (That I know of) to stop it.

*cough cough*

Does the forward lunge only happen if you have your weapon lowered?
Yes. Crouch with your weapon lowered, and then hit your Prone key. You will move forward a bit and then go prone, happens every time. Solution until it's fixed: avoid crouching with your weapon lowered, or going prone if you still do so.

See? These things will probably eventually be fixed, but until then it's perfectly simple to adapt and overcome, not just give up entirely and demand it be fixed.

;)

As often as I play this game drunk I'd have to argue the thread title, impairment does nothing toward making the movements feel more normal.

I don't normally jump on the band wagon on these debate threads haha, but I think some of you have this a bit muddled up.

It seems like some of you are saying it's uber realistic, and some of you think its awful.

For a start, nobody can seriously call it "realistic" or "correct", It's an animation system, which means you press forwards, and you will always execute the exact same animation and move the exact same distance. (Based on stance).

The human brain does not use animations, and we never move the exact same distance. So from this point of view, it's not realistic.

However, in it's own way, it is much more realistic than standard fps, because in Arma 2, due to this animation system, your feet actually stay locked to the ground, rather than floating. You can see this, as the animations look amazing when you switch to 3rd person view.

So, you basically have the realism of real movement, but it comes with a huge price, precision. The question is, how do you get Armas realistic animations, and crossbreed them with fluid movement?

The human brain makes a decision on where to go before it actually moves, so there are trillions of different movements we could make. (1 inch forward, 1mm forward, 1 foot forward, etc)

In Arma 2, there are basically four different directions to move, (like every game in existence), so you don't even get remotely close to the precision we get in reality. We either move one step forward, or one step back.

So, yes, it's more realistic than cod games, and at the same time, its less realistic too. The matter of the fact is, as long as we are controlling games with buttons keyboards and controllers, it's never going to be realistic, so to speak.

Rich.

I can't remember the name of the company, but they made a robot that you can control using your mind :D I wonder how long till we're playing ArmA with that system?

Hello gentlemen,

I think the debate is getting ridiculous.

If I have correctly understood, Logan comes here to explain he is not able to enjoy weapon animations in ArmA2 because the way it is "simulated" does not reflect reality.

And for my own, from my experience with weapons in real life, I agree with him.

For people who use weapons in real world, the way ArmA weapons sway while walking slowly is absolutly not credible. It is even resulting in ruining immersion feeling.

In real world: when you are aiming, you block your weapon on your shoulder. So that, you are "making one" with your shoulder and your weapon. It results your weapon DOES NOT sway in such strange animation but follow your body movement.

Plus, with a minimum of CQB practice, you are getting ability to move, indeed cautiously, with a good capacity to aim.

If you don't believe me, do test by yourself !

Go to get a weapon and while aiming, fixing weapon on your shoulder, walk cautiously, small steps... Convinced ?

In ArmA, even when moving slowly, your weapon is moving in such an incredible way. You feel like having Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease ?!

I think it could be improved to get closer to reality, because ArmA is a military simulator, isn't it ?

So, you basically have the realism of real movement, but it comes with a huge price, precision. The question is, how do you get Armas realistic animations, and crossbreed them with fluid movement?

Idtech4 as seen in Enemy Territory. The game features a physics system where wheels (and apparently feet) operate not only based on IK, but also true traction/friction modelling.

Even so there is no magic silver bullet which will make animations fluid--perfect for everyone. The current system employed in Arma2 is more than adequate. Something which would aid the 'feel' of the game immensely would increasing the realism of current weapon animations (they are held offcenter) and adding MORE specific weapon-system animations. Such as unique ones for handling the different launcher weapons systems and so on.

-k

*cough cough*

;)

I'm talking about a 2-3 step lunge that occurs ocassionally from a non moving

standing to prone position.

Virtually every time I've experienced it I'm standing on the roof of a building

and do a suicide run off the roof.

I happens on slops also, so it could have something to do with where you are standing

when you attempt to go prone from a standing position.

Hello gentlemen,

I think the debate is getting ridiculous.

If I have correctly understood, Logan comes here to explain he is not able to enjoy weapon animations in ArmA2 because the way it is "simulated" does not reflect reality.

And for my own, from my experience with weapons in real life, I agree with him.

For people who use weapons in real world, the way ArmA weapons sway while walking slowly is absolutly not credible. It is even resulting in ruining immersion feeling.

In real world: when you are aiming, you block your weapon on your shoulder. So that, you are "making one" with your shoulder and your weapon. It results your weapon DOES NOT sway in such strange animation but follow your body movement.

Plus, with a minimum of CQB practice, you are getting ability to move, indeed cautiously, with a good capacity to aim.

If you don't believe me, do test by yourself !

Go to get a weapon and while aiming, fixing weapon on your shoulder, walk cautiously, small steps... Convinced ?

In ArmA, even when moving slowly, your weapon is moving in such an incredible way. You feel like having Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease ?!

I think it could be improved to get closer to reality, because ArmA is a military simulator, isn't it ?

Can´t say anything against that. The weapon sway when walking is really to strong

Player moves around like a cross between a retarded robot and a drunken sailor on shore leave. I don't want ice skating, but movement in this game is ridiculous / unplayable.

Forget it, its never gonna change since they think it's cool and realistic... lol

I like the way the arma/ofp series uses a different way of avatar movement compared to other FPS shooters. But I also agree that it is far from perfect and causes some frustration (and I have been playing since OFP so I cringe to think how it must feel to new comers to the game)

Things like queued anims that you have to sit through while your being shot at (you begin to deploy an mg nest/mash/ etc and then you get shot, unable to interrupt it to take cover or even go prone.)

Pausing for 2 seconds and being unable to move after even the smallest amount of time of being airborne (eg running off a step).

Getting stuck in CQB situations in buildings (not being able to lean out of a doorway with your gun or turn around in a building).

Being suddenly forced into a walking pace because of a gradient change that is clearly not that steep at all.

And on a similar subject, I still think they should use rag doll physics for deaths. Anyone who says that doing so would "look unrealistic" clearly has not played this game for long enough. The death anims in every BIS game are laughable a become tiresome very quickly. Silly, instant, rigamortis corpses sliding about the ground and 1st day of acting school death throes where lame looking even when OFP was out.

There are many of these problems with the anim system that bis should address. An I agree people who use the realism argument are bored fanboys who just like to naysay for the sake of it..and even at the expense of their own enjoyment..

Perfect example: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/16782