Sign in to follow this  
Chill xl

"Outer" terrain is bugged

I've started a new project / new terrain, once the terrain is binned and loaded into the game and opened in the editor all the contour lines are all over the place, it looks like "mikado". Also Fraps reports the fps is down to 0, when i make it into the 3d environment (takes a while since each frame takes a minute or so) the terrain looks like intendent but... the outer terrain is missing, you can basicly drive off the world.

Map details: 4096 x 4096 heightmap (1m) making it a 4.096 x 4.096 km map. Elevation ranges from -23 to 513.

Any ideas?

Maybe it's due to the extreme resolution of the terrain.

It must be really taxing on the CPU. I tried to run 1024 terrain grid at 4 meters and buldozer grinded to a halt.

I wouldn't expect everything to work normally with that setting.

Really hard dicipher anything without some more info. Project settings in particular. Off the top of my head I would assume something is out of sorts there.

Could be a number of things I suppose, more info ftw. There could be inherent issues with that high a res and the 4096HF, I've run 2560 with no issues.

This is an engine bug which happens on 4096 heightmaps regardless of any other settings, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it until BIS fixes it (which they probably won't).

My advice is to disable terrainsynth for now.

Nice 2nd post :)

Guess thats possible also, thought I tested a super huge map with terrainsynth on though. Remember it was 102km, forget the settings though. Have to look when I get back to that box.

Tnx for the help guys.

Indeed the terrainsynth goes haywire with heightmap this big, after i binned the map with this option disabled, the map is working great.