Sign in to follow this  
Hans Ludwig

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

There's a huge following of this game at simhq.com, and it's currently mostly unplayable for even people with high end systems.

This is way past Arma2's release.

You can't even attempt the campaign missions in the game right now because it's a slideshow. Forget about flying over land unless it's just you in the air.

There's some serious coding problems with this game.

What a bloody mess! How they have the nerve to release such a mess astounds me. From what I have read it might as well still be in alpha condition. Thank god I didn't buy it.

I was thinking of buying it now as they probably need the money, and the game will be fixed. Same story as with BIS armed assault.

I guess they didnt have the nerve to not release it..

I was counting down to this release, shame I've been persuaded to pass for now. :(

I did some reading over at simhq and alot of people are complaining, so I guess its in quite a bad shape now (some seems to be able to play decent though). Anyway, one of them had a very good point in buying it now, its alot new to learn in procedures and engine management and he is using this time to practise and learn that so when its patched up so its playable he is ready to shoot down opponents instead of learning to fly ;)

I hear IL-2's first release was .. unstable. Back in what was it, 2002?

This have some FPS issues, but decreasing trees and buildings helps already (but not for London). Over the canal, even big battles with 20 planes work smooth for me. With some patching, I think this will be excelent sim for long time. There is much new details added since earlier Il2-sturmovik titles.

Any confirmation on LAN functionality please?

Stutters can be seen in this video (as mentioned not Fraps doing it) ... I see on Sim HQ new patch coming to optimise ... Like the new engine sounds, gun fire is pretty bad though, cuts off a bit strange.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3254766/1/Optimisation_Patches_to_come_F.html

Will give it a a few patches before I purchase, then price comes down too :) Then upgrade PC ... etc etc. Dont think I will trash the idea of getting this, just a waiting game.

Edited by mrcash2009

i've been looking into purchasing this.. just wondering if it's worth my money. right now it's neck and neck between this, and DCS A10C.

i suppose i could listen to eric johnson while playing this. lol.

Edited by Binkowski

I think they were quite shocked at the number of pirate copies of the previous game on multiplayer and they want a way to control online play this time. It's a shame we can't use hyperlobbey anymore.

I remember the frustrating hours spent trying to 'fix' something about my system so that Arma 2 would run at a consistently playable frame-rate for the first six months after release.

Well, I think I've got my figure of how long after release I'll be considering buying Battle of Britain: Storm of War.

Hope they get it sorted and the reviews saying 'buggy piece of alpha-software' don't sink on-going development.

Even more reason to boycott the whole "Steam Only" debate, more and more money exchange to get steam in front of you no matter if you do or dont, cant stand that shit one bit. Surprised you dont get a Tesco's club card sign up form in the box too.

Wonder how much IL2 got for supporting that "promotion".

On that basis I will skip it, "Bag-o-shite".

Edited by mrcash2009

I heard that CoD had a method of connecting to other games outside of Steam. An IP join or something?

I see hints of hope out there.

I read something similar another place. Its about that the code is there for it to work in hyperlobby and outside steam. Cant find the first better link I read earlier.

That's a noble endeavour. They should have a way to turn it off for those who don't require it, though.

I read in one guy's review that the devs said the filter could be turned off with a .cfg command.

He'd tried it and said he thought it was just a placebo effect.

The latest patch provided the ability to toggle it via GUI in the options...

I wanted to buy this right after it was out, then I missed the release day. Now I come back to it and it seems to be a mess of a release...

How bad is it, really? Compared to how well Arma 2 ran at release (which I found decent, but not perfect)

That's anyone's guess, and probably it depends on your system and other things. ArmA 2 was very broken when it was released, but it was also quite fun. Whether you buy it now or after it's fixed is simply a question of timing. They're talking about patches, and have released a patch already (I think), so really do you want to own it now or later? Before or after it's fixed? I don't think that fans of the genre should be tip toeing around this game. The (first) il2 series had amazing longevity, was continually developed and expanded.

Edited by Max Power