Sign in to follow this  
Hans Ludwig

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

Link please?

I don't have a link to the source, but apparently an Ubisoft official has confirmed this in their German forums. That's the story going around 1C and SimHQ, anyway.

Sorry but this UBI-hatred thing is stupid... It's the product that counts, not the publisher.

They already take the risk to publish it (as they did with the original) on a niche market. And apart from their obnoxious DRM system (sad but blame the pirates first !), they have published and produced some really good games (Assassin's Creed is an artistic masterpiece). Damn, Rise of Flight system is even worse !

If anything, they're not better or worse than EA, Activision, THQ, Codemasters, you name it...

Not getting it because it's UBI will only make it even harder for people like Maddox games to sell any other simulators. Judge on the content, not the cover.

Sorry but this UBI-hatred thing is stupid... It's the product that counts, not the publisher.

DRM is an major issue if you can't even install or get the game working because of it.

I have a copy of Crysis Warhead that sits unused because the copy protection scheme refuses to allow me to even install it. WARS installs fine because there is no DRM.

Piracy has been a bogus excuse since the days of VHS and floppy disks.

VHS is going to kill the movie industry......... Dual-cassette decks are going to kill the music industry......... Sony walkmans are going to kill the industry.....blah blah blah blah blah.

They've been screaming the same thing for decades. Hell even the button makers screamed bloody murder when the zipper was invented. They even tried to get the zipper banned.

Consoles (Wii, Xbox360 and PSP have a 100% availabilty of game images. PC doesn't even have that.)

in fact, BRAND NEW modded consoles are cheaper to buy on Craigslist then ones from from the store.

The only reason Playstation 3 has been virtually piracy free is because of the size of the games and the price of Blu-ray media/Bu-ray burners.

Edited by jblackrupert

I feel sorry for the developers, as they probably care about their game and their fans. It's just a shame they've had to go to a publisher that is the exact opposite.

Ubisoft even announced a few months ago that they were planning on eliminating paper manuals from their boxed games.

Now THAT is being greedy SOB's

I agree the whole "need net" DRM shit is not welcomed at all.

Vote with wallet. That said, I want most of that Oleg does, but will skip this.

Imho, piracy did kill the disc industry and PC gaming alike, very much like it killed the Atari ST before... It's so easy to find cracked software on PC it's not even funny. Button makers and VHS didn't have to face the internet. It changed everything.

Obnoxious DRM isn't the answer either, as it makes buying the real deal more complicated than getting the bootleg, but nonetheless, piracy is the root of the evil.

While it's technically possible on consoles too, the whole process is much more complicated than two clicks. You have to mod the hardware, void your warranty etc... The market is different too.

One-time online activation is fine for me. That's what I have with photoshop, my 3D software, even Arma.

I hope Cliffs of Dover will be as fun, fluid and good looking as WOP, but with a mission editor and the massive scale a real flight deserves.

I agree the whole "need net" DRM shit is not welcomed at all.

Vote with wallet. That said, I want most of that Oleg does, but will skip this.

Would be a shame since as far as I know 1C is big enough not to be under the thumb of Ubi. I do hope this won't be just the conventional excuse to download a great game on some torrent tracker ... Such games are rare enough in my opinion. :j:

One-time online activation is fine for me. That's what I have with photoshop, my 3D software, even Arma.

It's pretty much how Steam works and is quite a reasonable solution. I hope Ubi got told this time.. :rolleyes:

Edited by dunedain

Why didn't Oleg just sale his game on Steam? Who really needs publishers anymore?

I guess, publishers help advertise their games, and perhaps bring a little bit extra money and support to the devs.

But then again,This is ubisoft. So we have no idea why he's sticking with them.

Oh please, publishers have been saying piracy will kill PC gaming since Neverwinter Nights came out. Starcraft II, which is an extremely unfriendly PC exclusive RTS game sold 1.5 million copies on release.

@Dungain :

Would be a shame since as far as I know 1C is big enough not to be under the thumb of Ubi. I do hope this won't be just the conventional excuse to download a great game on some torrent tracker ... Such games are rare enough in my opinion. :j:
Notice i said vote with pocket and you come up with torrent, makes me wonder about you on the basis, as that's the first thing you came up with. Im not that cheap. Assumption are the mother of all fuck-ups.

Then again, there's a point in that some-place.

I will buy 1C sims, they are worth the price, but this DRM thing is getting pressed way too much. I will see what reports are once its out before I decide (about how this UBI DRM actually runs) .. mainly becuase I read some time back about the planned DRM from UBI and it was awful.

Edited by mrcash2009

how puerile.. :j:

And insinuating that people who question DRM and decide not to pay for something means they are an auto torrent user is not similar? How about they just decide not to buy it and that's that.

If you mean puerile in the fact I will wait and see, then that's allot of people your suggesting it too.

Any issues you know where the PM button is.

Edited by mrcash2009

Ubisofts DRM has nothing to do with Piracy, its all about binding a game key to an email account. The 2nd hand market is a much bigger threat to publishers than pirates are. Pirates wouldn't have bought the games they crack anyways, so not much money is lost.

But if you can hinder ppl to sell their games after completing them (in about 8 hours) you can raise your profit. And thats what counts in the end.

Heck, Il2 when it first came out back in 2001 was published by Ubisoft...

I'd buy it, but I doubt I have the computer to run it.

Heck, Il2 when it first came out back in 2001 was published by Ubisoft...

I'd buy it, but I doubt I have the computer to run it.

Ubisoft of 2001 =/= Ubisoft of 2010

Ubisoft of 2001 =/= Ubisoft of 2010

Yes. But the point stands, Ubisoft published it for all those years. Why should there be a problem with them publishing it now when they published 1946, what, just a few years back?

The only thing they've seem to be allowed to do to this iteration so far is mess up its name for extra cash and stuff their DRM on it. Hopefully, the gameplay hasn't changed in all the years they've been developing it. :)

Oh please, publishers have been saying piracy will kill PC gaming since Neverwinter Nights came out. Starcraft II, which is an extremely unfriendly PC exclusive RTS game sold 1.5 million copies on release.

A little bit longer then that......The days of 5 1/4 floppies more like.

You think DRM sucks now. Try playing games in the 80's with

- Codewheels

- Having to enter words from a 100+ page manual... Page XXX, paragraph XXX. line XXX

- Manuals printed on photocopy proof paper (Dark purple witn black print).

- Hardware dongles that sometimes refuse to work.

- Random popup "skill" testing questions on "mature themed" games.

The good part was games came in large boxes full of goodies and thick manuals. Games bases on books had a copy of the book inside.

Back then people actually bought games based on the weight of the box.

And EA was still run by Trip Hawkins.

Edited by jblackrupert

I remember paragraph look ups and code wheels. The difference was you owned the game. Didn't have an internet connection or maybe your connection is just temporarily dropped? No problem you're are still allowed to play your game you paid for, your code wheel and instruction book with the paragraph checks inside work just fine with out an online connection. Y

I wish nothing but bad things for UBI Soft, EA and Activision. The sooner they leave the PC game industry the sooner we'll start to see games tailored for the PC again instead of just a bunch of crappy cross platform ports of FPS's and RTS's

Personally I think the graphics pretty much suck and not that much different from the original game. I mean what were they doing for the entire six years that they are creating this game?