Sign in to follow this  
Hans Ludwig

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

And 2011 will be forever known as the comeback of PC gaming. Hallelujah!

1C and Ubisoft Announce IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

World famous IL-2 Sturmovik series of flight simulators roars over Britain. 1C Company and Ubisoft announced that IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover (for PC) will take off in March 2011.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover is the latest instalment in the acclaimed IL-2 Sturmovik series from award-winning developer 1C: Maddox Games.

IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover takes place in 1940 during the pivotal aerial battle for the skies over Britain between the British, the German and the Italian air forces.

Key Features:

• New aircraft: incredibly detailed true-to-life modeling of aircraft systems based on thousands of hours of dedicated research. Every single aircraft component can be damaged for realistic and immensely satisfying results.

- Flyable aircraft – Over a dozen famous and highly detailed English, German and Italian aircraft available, with all crew positions open to players. All flyable aircraft have been painstakingly researched, resulting in incredibly accurate cockpit interiors (including Spitfire, Hurricane, Messerschmitt and the Stuka).

- Non-flyable aircraft – 13 AI controlled additional aircraft are also available to allow an even more accurate and immersive experience thanks to a varied aircraft.

• Immersive game modes:

- Exciting Single-Player Campaign – The campaign thrusts the player into the middle of the battle. The player will join the British Air Force to fight the German forces and renegade pilots on his own side, or join the German Luftwaffe and take part in meticulously recreated historical battles.

- Massive multiplayer – Customizable modes range from simple deathmatch-style free-for-alls to epic, ongoing 128 player battles that can last hours, days, weeks, or even longer.

- Interactive training – Comprehensive interactive training for new players – fly a real WWII trainer plane with a computer controlled instructor through a series of training missions.

• Brand new setting – The battle will take place on a large area spanning London and southern England in the north, to Northern France and Belgium in the south. The huge map will contain thousands of historical cities, towns, roads, airfields, radar stations, ports, and industrial areas – all located exactly where they were in 1940.

• New 3D engine – Latest-gen graphics engine with DX10 and DX11 API support. Huge variety of photorealistic ground vehicles, buildings and other environmental elements recreate minute details of 1940s Europe.

• Customizable difficulty – dozens of realism options allow newcomers to the franchise to reduce the difficulty and focus on the fun while learning the ropes of being a pilot.

1C and Ubisoft also announced that IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover will be available in a special Collector’s Edition, along-side the standalone version.

This Collector’s Edition features the following collection of exclusive pilot material assets in a premium packaging:

- The Windows PC version of IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover

- A cloth pilot escape map showing The Battle of Britain strategic locations

- A replica of the Pilot’s Notes on the Spitfire I Aeroplane, provided to RAF pilots during The Battle of Britain and reprinted from the RAF Museum original document

- An in-depth 150-page ring binder pilot instructions

SOURCE:

http://www.1cpublishing.eu/news/1c-and-ubisoft-announce-il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover

A collection of screenshots and video

http://fooblog.mexxoft.com/category/computerspiele/storm-of-war-computerspiele/

Trailer

Edited by Hans Ludwig

Strangely enough, Wings of Prey (the console spin off which is supposed to use some of the same graphical code) seems to look better in some instances... Maybe it's just some eyecandy (time of day, shaders, post-fx), but for instance the ground textures look weird in some shots of this trailer...

On the other hand, the cockpits are nothing short of spectacular and the map does seem huge and well detailled. The grass and trees also seem very nice for a plane simulator.

At last, though, being that there doesn't seem to be an eastern front at all and no russian planes, it doesn't really make sense anymore to call it IL-2... (apart from the obvious marketing ploy).

Edited by EricM

So wait, This new "Il-2 Sturmovik : Cliffs of Dover", by 1C Maddox is just "Storm of War : Battle of Britian", renamed by Ubisoft as a marketing ploy. AS said above?

I'm confused, as theres no way oleg's team can be making 2 high grade games at once..

There is no confusion, it IS the new game.

sry,....flightsim. :P

Definitely going for the collectors edition on this one.

Ubisoft? OK lets see what they will make out of it.....

I stopped reading right after I saw ubisof announced it. Sad, it was a great title.

The fact that they published the original and 1946 doesn't count ?

IL2 has always been published by Ubisoft right ? don't be such killjoys ..

Weren't Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon always published by Ubisoft, too? Heck, even Splinter Cell's joined their ranks. ;)

Yeah, but Red Storm Entertainment is Ubisoft property, poor guys have no right anymore to do such good tactical shooters they used to. :(

Ubisoft just takes a good comapny, a good game. Then screws them over to make money.

Its a buisness industry.... :(

They do, no worry for Il2 though, Ubisoft is just given the change to publish the game outside Russia. :cool:

Yeah, I agree that the terrain textures and colors look like crap. That is especially true when you see what Wings of Prey, albeit a console port, was able to do in terms of eye candy.

Yeah, but Red Storm Entertainment is Ubisoft property, poor guys have no right anymore to do such good tactical shooters they used to. :(

1 minute of silence on their behalf. :(

When I heard Ubi bought Massive (creators of GC and WiC) I almost cried.... What Ubi will force them to do? A new "Endwar" game? NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

________

This new IL-2 (no IL-2 in the game...... for now? Tons of DLC incoming for sure) will be the excuse to buy a new Joystick to play properly!

Oh god not that Ubisoft shit DRM.. :mad:

At least you're not forced to be connected to play the game anymore, no you just need to be online to start it. Which is stupid anyway..

Don't know if you guys followed the events over Assassin Creed 2, Splinter Cell Conviction and Silent Hunter 5, but the servers checking the game constantly were put down through DDoS attacks several times preventing honest players from playing their games and Ubi's DRM was cracked the same day of their release..

Now Ubi's servers only check the game when you start it, which means you won't have to restart it if you loose your connection .. Damn annoying DRM still ..

It's quite strange they'ld use this DRM with IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover while R.U.S.E. is free of it. :confused:

I hope I'm wrong and this will be only an Steam like activation, the kind you activate your game only one time and then you're not bothered ..

Edited by dunedain

Yes Ubisoft has a great History of taking really good Games and then make an abomination of it that pleases the mainstream market. Oh and the DLCs of course.....

I really hope they wont screw this up. And I really hope that massive entertainment doesn´t screw up the next WiC because of them

Lol, what's wrong with C1? Are they mad? Dont they know what Ubisoft's reputation on the PC game market is atm? They'll be lucky to sell more than just some copies.

I will no longer touch this game, unless I can get hold of the Russian version. Perhaps there will be a digital download option to buy direct from 1C. I'm enough of a realist to realise that the game might not have been released for another couple of years if they hadn't simply gone with UBI, but that doesn't change my opinion.

A shame, because I'm part of the ideal target market for the game: I'm a huge Oleg fan and bought all of the IL2 games seperately as they came out. I even love WOP, for all its limitations - and I have to say that COD (lol - shit name, by the way, UBI) looks considerably worse than WOP in some respects. All very well and good Oleg saying 'trust me - I'm a professional photog, these images haven't had the final colour adjustments yet,' but the game still won't look much better than IL2 when you're flying at speed. Yes, I'm sure the flight models will be superb and yes, that is the most important aspect of the game.

I can happily stick with IL2 and the million superbly modelled planes from 1946 and the community, along with WOP - which is frankly the best optimised game I've seen on PC - if they're going with UBI.

I realise that WOP had that terrible activations system and YUPlay, but for me, UBI are even worse. I remember when lots of people who had bought 1946 couldn't get it to run because Starforce didn't recognise their DVD drives. UBI didn't care. And now they're worse, with their appalling system of needing a constant internet connection. Why won't the morons drop it, when it's already been cracked!?

'We want our customers to be inconvenienced and the pirates to play unhindered.'

*Does the herp-a-derp*

Don't know if you guys followed the events over Assassin Creed 2, Splinter Cell Conviction and Silent Hunter 5...

I followed it. One thing I will definitely say - their system did nothing to stop piracy. In fact, I'd say they increased piracy of their games. ;)

Ubisoft

http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/gallery_files/site/270/1042/2306.pdf

Important information is on page 16 of the adobe document.

Sales by platform in %.

(sadly there is no net revenue in $ values)

Xbox360 - 22%

PS3 - 23%

Wii - 26%

PC - 8%

I think pc games are not important enough for Ubisoft. They make more profit with casual gaming on the consoles (esp Wii).

Yep the mighty casualisation! Ubisoft is best at it. Just see what they did of some former really good games. They dumbed them down on a level that even a chimp can beat the game

EDIT: I wonder if someone tried to give a wiimote to a chimp and let him play a little bit....

)rStrangelove;1838533']I think pc games are not important enough for Ubisoft. They make more profit with casual gaming on the consoles (esp Wii).

8% is still a crapload of money. I'm sure it would be higher if it wasn't for their bulls**t copy protection.

It's hard to imagine what kind of idiots are making those decisions :confused:

Their draconian DRM has been changed for Cliffs of Dover. Internet is only required for one time activation, you can run the sim offline after that.

Their draconian DRM has been changed for Cliffs of Dover. Internet is only required for one time activation, you can run the sim offline after that.

Link please?

Ubifail

"Never in the field of human conflict

was so much owed by so many to so few"

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill - August 20, 1940

http://il2sturmovik.ubi.com/cliffs-of-dover/en-GB/home/coming-soon.aspx

Edited by Hans Ludwig