Sign in to follow this  
pvthudson01

Stupid newbie question about random mission generator?

Hello all I am fairly new to ARMA II and have Arrowhead and British Expansion as well.

When you go to make a mission that is called SINGLE MISSION >> MY MISSIONS >>NEW MISSION or what not is that a random mission that I pick and just load up to play? Or how does that work? I pick a template of say "COMBAT" and then it shows a screen with some editing I can do like weather and such

Do I have to add units myself or can I just launch that and go? Or is there a way to make random quick start missions?

Yes, pvthudson, that's exactly how you make a random quick-start mission. You don't need to add any units or anything, just set it up to the time of day/weather you like, and maybe move around the "start" marker to pick a nice starting location, and click go :) I sometimes add an empty vehicle or so at the start if I want to drive around instead of humping it, but that's not really necessary.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Wolfrug

You can also try thomsonb's Flashpoint series for Arma2/OA, which will generate random missions with your specified parameters (choose side, enemies, participant specialty - eg sniper, AT, AA, weather, time of day/night, concentration of aircraft, vehicles etc) or set them to be randomly generated. To find these flashpoint missions, go to Armaholic.com

http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=search

and search

thomsonb flashpoint

You can also do cool things like recruit AI friendlies in the vicinity into a squad under your command.

Hi, pvthudson01 and Sintacks. I had been looking for a similar type of random mission in the past (and even to this day).

Here's my suggestions:

Flashpoint series (there's the standard/original one, and one for Operation Arrowhead). really great. Tons of options, and can really put in 'right in the middle of it' pretty fast. You start on your own, and can join up with fellow troops if/when you find them. You can get objectives (go to a certain location), or just do as you please.

Guerilla Warfare. This one gives you specific missions that you go to from a home base. This one allows you to call in airstrikes and support, which is great. I have a few issues with the game as it is, now... For one thing, if you get badly wounded, you have to watch your guy thrash about on the ground for seemingly forever (unable to do anything or skip it), and then you (based on your options) are captured and have to escape an enemy base... which is cool, except when you are there at night, and it's literally pitch black, and you can't see ANYTHING (and you don't have nightvision or a map)... it's like playing with the monitor off! But, despite that, it's an otherwise cool random missio mod. The same guy has made another one (Dynamic War?... I can't recall the name just yet), which is similar, but on a larger scale.

Then, you can also create your own random mission generator with the editor... which really isn't too difficult. You just place the Secops module on the map, and set it all up. I give a huge radius to everything (including my troops position) so the placement of everything is random. The 'MyMission'> Combat thing does the same sort of thing, just 'all automatic'. Doing it via the editor lets you add/control things a bit more, as you like.

At this point, my favorite is the Flashpoint series, but I'm always looking out for more random mission mods.

Edited by ladlon