Sign in to follow this  
Flogger23m

How to make AI board transports

Recently bought ArmA 2 Combined Operations off of Amazon. So far it has been nothing short of frustrating.

I need help doing the following:

1) Making non controllable/commandable infantry board a truck. Have the truck drive somewhere. Have the infantry get out. Make them move to combat zone. Have truck leave.

2) Make infantry spawn in a truck. Have the truck drive somewhere. Have the infantry get out. Make them move to combat zone. Have truck leave.

It seems impossible.

Yet, 8 hours ago today I made the AI do the following:

Make infantry board UH-1Y. Have UH-1 fly to combat zone. Had AI dismount. UH-1Y flew away. Made infantry move to combat zone.

And yesterday:

Made infantry board APC. Made APC drive somewhere. Infantry got out, move to a new area. Made APC drive away.

I've done the exact samething as I just did just hours ago today... but now the AI refuses to work. And I've tried doing it 10 or so times. It just does not work anymore.:mad:

So can someone please explain how to do 1) and 2)? Include all details.

And please don't link to that huge, laggy .PDF editor guide. I've looked through that and it was zero help.

1. Place a group of infantry.

2. Place a truck. Ensure that the truck is NOT grouped to the infantry group.

3. Make a waypoint for the infantry roughly where you want the infantry group to board the truck. For the 'Select Type' waypoint field, scroll to and select 'Get In'.

4. Make a waypoint for the truck roughly where you want the infantry group to board. For the 'Select Type' waypoint field, scroll to and select 'Load'.

5. Press your F5 key to go into the Synchronize function in the editor, and drag a line between the two previously created waypoints.

6. From the truck's waypoint, create a waypoint where you want the infantry to get off the truck. For the 'Select Type' waypoint field, scroll to and select 'Transport Unload'.

7. Create more truck waypoints, moving the truck away from where the infantry are to go.

8. Create more infantry waypoints, towards where you want the infantry to go. Note that you do not need to tell the infantry to get off the truck, the truck's waypoint pretty much handle this.

That should work all of the time.

To start the infantry in the truck, ignore steps 3-5 above. Instead, do the following:

1. Give the truck a name when you place it in its 'name field' Example: Truck1

2. In the 'Initialization' field of each and every infantry unit in the infantry group, write the following: this moveincargo Truck1

Thereafter, steps 6 and on will work the same.

thanks I was also wondering how to start AI in vehicles, I've got the loading thing down, but it'll be easier to just have them start instead of waiting for them to load.

I also sync the get out way point with transport unload so that the chopper doesn't leave with a couple of my guys still in it.

I think extraction is different though, I've never done it, but the way to go would be to set a trigger that switches when all of the enemy has been eliminated within your set radius of the trigger. Sync that with a load waypoint and when all of the bad guys are gone in theory a that should tell the AI that since the trigger has been switched it is now time to execute the order. Then do the same thing you did to get the AI on the chopper in the first place. You might have to play around with the timing of it all.

Edited by The Hebrew Hammer

thanks I was also wondering how to start AI in vehicles, I've got the loading thing down, but it'll be easier to just have them start instead of waiting for them to load.

1: Give the vehicle a name in the editor (like truck1 for example).

2: In the init line of the groupleader of the group you want to start in the vehicle write...

{_x MoveInCargo truck1} Foreach Units Group this

Now the group should spawn inside the vehicle.

Thanks for the replies. One more question:

1: Give the vehicle a name in the editor (like truck1 for example).

How exactly would I do this?

Click on the map, choose your truck, in the top right corner, it'll say name or below special. :)

When I use moveincargo to board a AAVP7A1 as the group leader, the AAV crew goes into "Turn out" mode. They get shot every time! Only if I switch to commander's seat will they "Turn In" on order. And when I get out, they go back to "Turn out". How can I fix this? Is there something I need to put in the Player inif? The AAVP7A1 inif?

I tried that (with a helicopter) and it still doesn't work 

Tried WHAT with a helicopter? 

Did you try to get a unit in?

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/assignAsCargo and https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/moveInCargo allways work fine for me, and the GET IN waypoint allso works as intended.  So what exactly did you try, and how?