Sign in to follow this  
Indecisi0n

I am a boob

I am new to ARMA2. I think i played the demo years ago and wanted to give it another try. I went to the main page and saw all these expansions. I am guessing i need to buy ARMA2 then purchase each additional expansion ? Thanks for info.

What you probably saw was Combined Ops which is both Arma2 and Operation arrowhead, along with the DLC (though comes free in a patch just lesser quality), the BAF, and PMC being the downloadeable content.

A2 would be Arma2 by itself, A2:OA is Operation Arrowhead, the only expansion pack and A2: CO is Combined Operations, both Arma2 and Operation Arrowhead in one box.

And no you do not need Arma2 to use Operation Arrowhead, but if you have it you can use content from both.

Edited by NodUnit

ArmA2 was the original, came out last year* I believe. US Marines vs. Generic Angry Baltic Revolution.

ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead is a standalone expansion to A2 that uses a upgraded engine, came out last summer. You do not need A2 to run OA, but if you have A2 installed as well you can use all of it's content in OA. This is called 'Combined Operations'. You can buy them separately, or as the CO pack. It doesn't matter.

BAF/PMC are expansions to OA. You need OA to run them. A 'lite' version of both DLCs is included with the patches. It allows you to play MP with people who bought them, but you get very degraded textures and such. You have to buy them for the campaigns, missions and full quality stuff.

If you want to play MP, ideally get CO (A2+OA) or at the very least OA. Most servers have moved up to OA, and occasionally run missions that use A2 content as well (which you would need to be running CO to play). You only 'need' the DLCs if you like the content they add.

edit:*whoops, it's not December anymore. Came out 2009.

ArmA2 was the original, came out last year* I believe. US Marines vs. Generic Angry Baltic Revolution.

ArmA2: Operation Arrowhead is a standalone expansion to A2 that uses a upgraded engine, came out last summer. You do not need A2 to run OA, but if you have A2 installed as well you can use all of it's content in OA. This is called 'Combined Operations'. You can buy them separately, or as the CO pack. It doesn't matter.

BAF/PMC are expansions to OA. You need OA to run them. A 'lite' version of both DLCs is included with the patches. It allows you to play MP with people who bought them, but you get very degraded textures and such. You have to buy them for the campaigns, missions and full quality stuff.

If you want to play MP, ideally get CO (A2+OA) or at the very least OA. Most servers have moved up to OA, and occasionally run missions that use A2 content as well (which you would need to be running CO to play). You only 'need' the DLCs if you like the content they add.

edit:*whoops, it's not December anymore. Came out 2009.

Thank you!

Just get Combined Operations. The patch v1.57 includes BAF lite and PMC. I wish I knew that before I paid for the PMC DLC but it was only $10 bucks.

It's a great game man and it will humble you quickly when trying to create a mission.

Buy the disc version of CO, sprocket installers are garbage. Myself being a noob it took me a long time to figure out why I couldn't combine the two games. Not until someone told me I had to create a file in the registry did it finally work.

Buy the disc version of CO, sprocket installers are garbage. Myself being a noob it took me a long time to figure out why I couldn't combine the two games. Not until someone told me I had to create a file in the registry did it finally work.

Huh? I recently got the complete Arma2 package from Sprocket for a friend, and the games combined just fine without registry hacking.

Whatever you do, dont buy ArmA2 in Steam and ArmA2: OA from Sprocket, get everything from 1 source. I'd prefer cold, hard DVDs too but thats personal taste. ;)

And yes, i vote for 'Threadtitle of the month' [tm]. :D

Huh? I recently got the complete Arma2 package from Sprocket for a friend, and the games combined just fine without registry hacking.

That's the "beauty" of the Sprocket installer. Some people have problems and some don't.

I also agree that we should keep this topic name, boobs are awesome... Just ask the guy from Stardust Entertainment.

I say we suspend rule §22 if the topicname is really cool.

Agree. Remember the "Pizzagun"?

:)

Sorry the add lipping...

LOL, get a life, you guys.

But seriously, amazing thread title!

For what it's worth, I have successfully combined a DVD-install of first Arma2, then OA on DVD, and finally BAF from a Sprocket download. Ran with the first two, ie. Combined Operations, for a while with no problems. No issues whatsoever when I added BAF "digitally". I'm on XP, 32 bit

Edited by Old_Painless

have had no problems with sprocket, though i do use the alternate dl, and not the installer.

got a2, oa, baf and pmc from them

Like stated abowe, you don't realy need baf or pmc, you get the (lite) versions of them in the latest patches, but what you get is lower quality of it.

And no campaign.

Personaly i think it was worth the extra cost.

i like the boobs

I'm a bit disappointed it took 8 replies.

This place will never ever even come close to Americas Army R&R Forum, the origin of all fun forums only to be killed by moderators :)

Now I've got ArmA II on Steam but is there any way you can buy OA, British Forces, and PMC in a package? Or would I have to rebuy ArmA II again.

I think anything like that Steam would know and have offers, or then try sprocket and see. Otherwise its basicly ordering AO / BAF & PMC in a bunch just like off the shelf, and no you wouldn't need to get arma2 again they will just install "with" A2 you already have.

Although mixing steam and sprocket might be an issue .. so someone else can answer that, so go steam and get the 3 extra bits as normal, don't want to feel a right tit giving you the wrong information. I think Steam are offering free fun bags with Arma2 logo in a mail out which is handy.

As long as you keep a breast of things, you shouldn't go far wrong.

PS Im looking for original playtex cross your heart braziers as I found these do not chafe, can anyone assist, I am currently a D cup.

Edited by mrcash2009
Dirty Pillows

take me to the breastriary in nipopolus so that I may play brama II combined nips:p

to all, apology's in advance:)

This thread should have answers to most of your questions.

For further questions, please use the corresponding forums with a descriptive thread title.