Sign in to follow this  
rocket

USEC Aoraki/Mount Cook Island

how do i install i tryed mod folder method and put in addons folder methot but the map dont show up

Nice job Rocket... took Mig-21 for a spin:

icebreakrmig21.jpg

and after that ditched the plane in the flat snow valley... totally stranded, feeling the cold :) I've felt like being in a Star Wars movie ;)

This reminds me of my old South Georgia map but of course this appears to be WAY better.

Edited by CBFASI

Beautiful, this is ausome, def downloading!

how do i install i tryed mod folder method and put in addons folder methot but the map dont show up

did you setup your shortcut target line?

How did you set it up, as the island would show up in the sp, or the mp editors only.

ahblewba.....speechless, this is an amazing snow map especially for pilots, rarely does one see a snow map and even rarer that it's so mountainous..

like this

@usec_alpine_v0.1a

@usec_aoraki_v0.1a

and then i went to expansions menu in my arma 2 co main menu like i do with all other mods i could be cause i got so many mods installed

@miller

i think this did the job

thanks for the site it goes str8 to the favrits :D

i didn't work but however solved some other problems i had with just a2 since i got ao:)

Edited by pressytcn

@pressytcn

The island dont show up for you because you need both of these two files

usec_alpine_v0.1a

usec_aoraki_v0.1a

together in the same mod folder.

usec_aoraki_v0.1a needs usec_alpine_v0.1a to run.

so all the pbos for the island usec_aoraki_v0.1a go into an addons folder for the mod, and then all the pbos for the alpine

usec_alpine_v0.1a go into the same folder.

It dont work because you made 2 seperate mods, it has to be one mod with all the pbos in the addons folder.

for example heres what I did, I made a folder called @islands, inside the @islands folder is another folder called addons,

now inside the addons folder are these files (pbos)

-usec_aoraki

-usec_aoraki_textures

-usec_aoraki_world

-usec_alpine

then of course the bisigns for the pbos are in there too.

then I add the @islands folder to my shortcut target line and walla theres the island in the island list of the editor.

Awesome work! I think a small airstrip and base would have been perfect though. May be a great idea in a update.

awesome awesome looking mt range m8 GJ, hav u thought about making it bigger to 100 KM by 100 KM? make it into a air sim map not for infantry?

since ther r no building, just awesome ground taxture,,, i guess it wouldn't be a problem to turn VD up to 10k. BI really improve their engine now even in takisant i can play it with max out VD and still skilly smooth.

NO i don't hav a rocket power PC, just 4870 n a 4 years old duo core 2 very slow and old machine

just like another air sim map (its still at alpha stage) its call Hautes-Pyrénées

go fly around in it u will c y awesome ground taxture its all that matter for air sim map u don't need houses even tree.

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&p=86758&highlight=HAUTES-PYR%C3%89N%C3%89ES#86758

here is a video for that island

Edited by j rock

Very nice work Rocket. Looking forward to futher development of this awesome snowy landscape.

Wow! This map (especially the mountains) is epic! Very interesting scenarios could be created there! For example "Rescue the lost tourists in the mountains", etc...

About the size of the map: It is more than enough, in my opinion. Absolutely breath taking, you definitely will get lost out there.

I made some additional screenshots of this beauty:

58i3slzj6t.jpg

louc1hmza2.jpg

05.jpg

03.jpg

u6axusvxy5.jpg

Edited by Undeceived

Aoraki/Mount Cook looks great and I hope you flatten some (not all) edges a bit so the AI can be used to patrol/guard these nice mountains too.

Excellent for flying fast jets around! I'd forgotten just how annoying ACE black-outs are. :)

Beautiful terrain! Can't wait to check it out in various night lighting conditions.

603eptaCuvM

I was wondering if you could add white powder blowing off of the tops of the highest peaks. Does terrain-editing allow you to do that?

The perfect place to take down Santa's complex.

damn this map is very big and looks good too.

i get up to 170fps for the first time ever in arma2! good job. I can even raise view dist all the way to 10000 and still get 40+fps.

Yep, I get about 30 fps with viewdistance set to about 8700.

Here's another video, flying along the coastline, this time...

etXTplSFTQc

damn this map is very big and looks good too.

i get up to 170fps for the first time ever in arma2! good job. I can even raise view dist all the way to 10000 and still get 40+fps.

c how smooth fps ppl get with 10k VD

and frankly at this stage its rather tough to play this map as infintry, and it seems very very tough to fix it now... y not blow it up to 100 by 100 eh~~~~~~~~~~ make it air sim map eh~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for all the comment and input. I considered a number of the points, particularly around the movement of infantry through the mountainous areas. Having climbed in the area extensively myself, I can attest that regular soldiers would be lucky to survive, let alone cross, this area of the southern alps, without abandoning much of their gear and being very lucky. I also felt that the mountains restricting AI movement, made the use of helicopters and aircraft very relevant for a map such as this, which is in fact the reality... in terrain like this aircraft becomes extremely important.

There are about three or four passes in this location on the map that I would consider accessible, in the real world, to regular infantry. I've been across three of the four of those. I think it might be a great idea if I smooth those areas out a little to make it practical for the AI to traverse these.

Regarding expanding the map. Originally, it was a 40km x 40km map, but I have run into a number of issues (mainly associated with Visitor 3 not handling 4096 x 4096 heightmaps) that make working with 20km x 20km much better. I also felt this was a good balance for playability.

In the next release, i can produce one much, much larger for flying if there is a demand for it.

Great Map, Rocket thanks for the all trouble and efforts. It's to bad that Visitor 3 does not allow larger heightmaps, the RKSL typhoon s simply to fast for normal size maps. But the map is great as it is already. One question i have is (maybe a very standard one) is why my view distance is set to very low once running this map from the editor (tried on 10K with no change)? One other thing i noticed is that the textures seem to "stop" very sudden is it not possible to blend the textures a little into a more realistic crossover at the boarder of the map? I think instead of an airfield a static flightdeck would do the trick but this can be added easily by the editor :) thx again!