Sign in to follow this  
rocket

USEC Aoraki/Mount Cook Island

but I have run into a number of issues (mainly associated with Visitor 3 not handling 4096 x 4096 heightmaps) that make working with 20km x 20km much better. I also felt this was a good balance for playability.

In the next release, i can produce one much, much larger for flying if there is a demand for it.

TY for listening, explaning and the patinet putting up with my nagging XD well i hav to respect ur point of view they r very true. now u hav put my desire to change ur mind and make ur map in to a air sim map at rest.

best of luck ty for the time and effort it will be a great map.

its time to nag some 1 else XD mmmmm who is making map these day.

It's to bad that Visitor 3 does not allow larger heightmaps...

So that's why the highest moutain on this map is only ~1300m high, been wondering already :j: *shakes fist at Visitor3*

..why my view distance is set to very low once running this map from the editor (tried on 10K with no change)?..

Didn´t have any problems with this as you can see in my video, changes made in the options menu slider worked aswell as setting VD to 25000 by a trigger.

Not wanting to blame everything on Visitor, I said that 4096x4096 heightmaps are problematic, not impossible! I managed to produce a 4096x4096 map that you can see screenshots of in the discussion area thread for this addon, but I found it wasn't as playable.

It was eight times the size of this map (20m heightmap resolution, ~4m terrain satmap resolution). Dealing with files that big is real pain in photoshop, which is a big issue. Also, the file map size is massive (several gigabytes). None of those are Visitor's fault. Visitor, the only issue it creates is rotating and editing objects easily on the map. That's a known visitor bug, but you can work around it with a bit of thinking.

So its possible, just given the work required... such maps would be so massive, and so large in filesize, that they're not really that practical. Given OA is now quite well optimized, such maps may work better. But yes - in summary... Visitor 3 isn't really to blame, its just the prohibitively large source material you have to deal with at that size that causes issues.

Edited by Rocket

Hey Rocket - really like this map ,but it need somekind stronger normal map into mountains imho

Edited by RobertHammer

Awesome map, epic scale sorta stuff, makes me pine for more winter units showing on the scene

This map is beyond belief. Beautiful and huge. Makes me want to ring the travel agent and hightail it over to NZ tomorrow.

Any chance of a custom soundscape for it, that has no other ambient noise except for various kinds of wind?

Very confusing, on the site it says

Requirements: No addons required

but really you need a 200mb addon that doesn't say on the site, nice going.

Oh yeah, because he uploaded the addon to those websites and created the pages for them. If that's not enough, see right below the mirrors:

BOTH files are required to run the island!

Nice going. :rolleyes:

Just placed down a merlin in this and had a pootle about, it's like a playground for helicopters

Islands sometimes need addons like trees, houses and other stuff. Not really confusing - its just how it is.

This is absolutely stunning. I really hope you are interessted in making some areas of the map more interessting to infantery (rocks, stones and how about some snowy trees in lower regions? And maybe even some paths in steeper regions ... oh and just as this other guy demanded: a james bond base, somewhere up in the mountains!! XD).

But I'm happy to read, that mountains, for the most part, aren't accessible to them. Such restrictions given from terrain may turn out to be fantastic for missions... jokepoints, forced teamwork and the like.. yay.

I always wanted to see "real" mountains in Arma. Now this is pretty close.

Thank you very much and keep up the great work.

Just placed down a merlin in this and had a pootle about, it's like a playground for helicopters

or tanks. You can really have some awesome tank battles - or races down a mountain.

Hi,

First mountaineer mission reached public testing phase (v0.1).

Please download, test, and give some valuable feed back (since have I developed everything on my own without support of experienced people, so far … ca. 200 hours of work)

arma2oa201103271rpr.jpg

arma2oa201103282tdt.jpg

arma2oa201103282qjq.jpg

arma2oa201103282fdf.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24663975/Operation_Mountaineer_v01.rar

Feel free to take all my work/ ideas for your own non-commercial developments. Have fun!

Best,

Pioneer760

Mission ******************************************************

“Operation Ridge Sweep†/ “Operation Mountaineer†v0.1

(infantry/ mountaineering type)

Main features ******************************************************

- Choose and find a save way to the mountain top (different main options)

- Deal with three main dangers of mountaineering (drop offs, avalanches, crevasses)

- Deal with the enemy: clean the mountain ridge of enemy presence

- Get safely back to the ground (three options, same dangers/ special effects)

- Magnificent climb/ view)

- Intro/ outro scripts

Requirements and add on *************************************************

- Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead, patch 1.57

- AORAKI/ MOUNT COOK ISLAND (ALPHA); 0.1 ALPHA, 15 January 2011, By Rocket

- usec_alpine_v0.1 (comes usually together with “aoraki / mount cook “ add on)

Installation ******************************************************

- After installing the patches and add on

- Copy the pbo into your (single) mission folder of Arma2 OA

Main acknowledgement ******************************************************

And a very BIG THANKS TO ROCKET! I have been having this idea in mind for more than three years now. Being passionate about OFP/Arma and outdoor/ mountaineering, the idea was tempting ever since. With your map it is possible now!:yay:

Hello!

Can I have your permission to upload Aoraki +Alpine to Steam Workshop??

I will add credit to Roket...

Thank you