Sign in to follow this  
Ravoll

Terminal Mistake???

Hi All.

Not sure if I 'm posting in the correct department but here goes.

My son was trying his hand at building a CTI mission for OFP.After decompressing a readymade mission,he opened the "desription .EXT" file with windows editor,only he didn't turn the checkbox off :(.Windows see's all EXT files in OFP as editor data.Does OFP also see these files as editor data? Now ,does anyone know how I can fix this? For some reason ,not only his CTI,but all CTI's on my PC ,and the original missions ,there is no fighting.I can just drive to any town res held town and take it.

And I can now see my position on all CTI maps (with vehicles and AI,instead of the XY marker after boarding HQ track)whereas I could'nt before.

He only did this one mission and for some reason it has effected my complete installation.I deleted/reinstalled OFP, but the problem is still present.

His changing the EXT files to be read as Editor data is the only thing I can think of that has caused this.

Ravoll

aka "CreepingDeath"

P:S: Never mind about the "And I can now see my position on all CTI maps (with vehicles and AI,instead of the XY marker after boarding HQ track)whereas I could'nt before."....I was running these missions offline.Is back to normal online.

Edited by Ravoll

Please, could be more consistent with your question.

I really do not understand your problem

what prolly happened was your son had the description file saved/over written as .txt

Instead of reinstalling - next time - save description.txt - by selecting all file types then type description.ext & save.

what prolly happened was your son had the description file saved/over written as .txt

Instead of reinstalling - next time - save description.txt - by selecting all file types then type description.ext & save.

It's still called "desription.EXT",the name was never changed ,but it now has the "Editor" symbol instead of the "Unknown" symbol that windows normally shows.How do I get this back to the "unknown" symbol?

Problem is that when he opened "Description.EXT" with the editor, the check box for "Always open these file types as" ,was checked true.Is this my problem?

Edited by Ravoll

Why not send me DESCRIPTION.EXT file to my mail and look at what is your problem. I will try to open it with Chris' OFP Script Editor.

Try opening it with notepad

ga.aldo@hotmail.com

yes it sounds like an association problem - select open with - choose default program.

Sorry guys,

I seem to have confused everyone.The EXT file has not been renamed, and has not been modified or re-written in any fashion.It was only opened with the editor,and the checkbox accidentally was activated,so that will now and forever be opened as editor data.(Datatyp immer mit dem ausgewählten programm öffnen = True,yes O.K. ect...)The problem is now present with all EXT files no matter what mission they are from.

I would like to know how to get this back to the original condition of windows not know how to open it.

I'm not sure but I think my problem lies with OFP see's all EXT data now as editor data and can't ,or doesn't open any ,therefore the lack of AI combat actions.????

I could easily format my P.C. ,reinstall XP, and all will be back to the basic windows configuration,and the EXT data would again be displayed with an "Unknown" symbol,but I'd rather not if avoidable.

Edited by Ravoll

Sorry guys,

I seem to have confused everyone.The EXT file has not been renamed, and has not been modified or re-written in any fashion.It was only opened with the editor,and the checkbox accidentally was activated,so that will now and forever be opened as editor data.(Datatyp immer mit dem ausgewählten programm öffnen = True,yes O.K. ect...)The problem is now present with all EXT files no matter what mission they are from.

I would like to know how to get this back to the original condition of windows not know how to open it.

I'm not sure but I think my problem lies with OFP see's all EXT data now as editor data and can't ,or doesn't open any ,therefore the lack of AI combat actions.????

I could easily format my P.C. ,reinstall XP, and all will be back to the basic windows configuration,and the EXT data would again be displayed with an "Unknown" symbol,but I'd rather not if avoidable.

Shouldn't be that. I have pretty much all notepad-editable formats OFP uses - or I use, that's mostly ones related to missionmaking. (EXT, SQS, SQM at least) As long as the file name stays the same it should work.

At least Win7 has an option to define default programs in the start menu. Don't have an XP computer at hand right now, but I recall a similar function can be found from the control panel. It should allow you to change the program used to open certain file types, though I'm not sure if defining default program as 'nothing' is possible.

My guess is the file has been incorrectly saved (as said by above posters), so that the name is "description.ext.txt" when it should be "description.ext". Do you have your Windows configured to show the file types, eg. if you have a picture on your comp does it show up as "picture.jpg" or other extension or just "picture"?

But if you are absolutely sure you have not touched the description.ext file in any way, I have no idea. My closest guess would be FADE, but that might just be me being pessimistic.