Sign in to follow this  
johncage

Chechen War Russians

The Russians seemed to use almost every variant of the AK-74 during the 1st and 2nd war.

The AKS-74 being the most numerous. Followed by the AK-74M in smaller numbers. AK-74M and AKS-74(Polymer) seemed to be partially integrated into regular units as well as VDV and Marines.

Here's a movie example (Marsh Brosok) of VDV with integrated AKS-74 and AKS-74P

While the authenticity of the movie debatable, there's numerous real life pics of these weapons serving together to back it up.

Question: Does any have or no of a picture of RF soldiers in Chechnya using the AK-74 with non-collapsible stock (Either wood or polymer)?

@Tawah

of course exist , i just should wrote AK/S74 like i wrote AKM/S my bad for not using "S", my mistake (it is even in the pack)

Question: Does any have or no of a picture of RF soldiers in Chechnya using the AK-74 with non-collapsible stock (Either wood or polymer)?

i think it depends of unit

just like in USA , infantry departament will have M4, Marine will have M16A4 in most cases

in Russia probably depends if guy is from VDV of Ministy of Defence, Infantry from Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Internal Affairs (MVD) etc.

each of their ministry or branche has own Spetznatz and probably VDV (which means airborne)

so Spetznaz from MVD and Spetznatz from MoD can be armed and uniformed in other way

Edited by vilas

Right, but there are distinct differences between a M4A1 and a M16A4 besides the length. There aren't any between the AK-74 fold-able and nonfold-able variants, just the stock configuration. I don't see why they would need a nonfold-able rifle since its harder to carry and have plenty of Folding variants...

For information :

AK74 : Fixed Stock

AKS74 : Folding Stock

AK74P : Fixed Stock

AKS74P : Folding Stock

AK74M : Solid Folding Stock

AKS74M : Folding stock

Why Solid Stock ?

For stability simply :)

Stability? Just extend the stock.........

Well maybe a solid stock can bash a few more faces in than a folding one :)

It is a question of balance, I have both, I know whereof I speak, and for the AK74M the stock is folding also.

ak74m-fold.jpg

If I had to choose between a AKS74M or AK74M I will without hesitation the second

GP30 is a worse.

Edited by Kis4m3

Is there a AKS-74M at all? I think it doesn't exist. It's just a AKS-74 with different plastic grips. Any source to proove me wrong?

That's true, but I say this to make myself understood easily

I very much like the update jonnycage :D!

Hope you plan to to give the Vityaz Ops some different camoed amoeba covers for their Spheras. Olive and Les were pretty common for 1st war era.

Edited by Jar2012

Stability? Just extend the stock.........

Well maybe a solid stock can bash a few more faces in than a folding one :)

you are right (they not noticed it)

you won't knock door with poor stock, you won't fight with folding one

you have in mind, that soldier use stock only to aim weapon ??

maybe in US army, but in east armies soldiers are trained to hit stock when ammo is gone or when you must break window, doors etc.

solid strong fixed stock is a "hammer" or "club" when you need it, maybe it is XIX-centurish training not relevant to modern war, but in close quaters solid stock is usefull for sure when you can't fire or simply break stronger window or thiner doors

US Army now has M4 am i right ? philosophy of that weapon is "light, easy to carry, easy to transport, easy to move in APC"

but if US army has to break door, they need extra hammer, right ? Russians had AK74 with wooden stock in such situation (you cannot shoot in every situation, so don't tell me about shotgun to break lock in doors)

Edited by vilas

you are right (they not noticed it)

you won't knock door with poor stock, you won't fight with folding one

you have in mind, that soldier use stock only to aim weapon ??

maybe in US army, but in east armies soldiers are trained to hit stock when ammo is gone or when you must break window, doors etc.

solid strong fixed stock is a "hammer" or "club" when you need it, maybe it is XIX-centurish training not relevant to modern war, but in close quaters solid stock is usefull for sure when you can't fire or simply break stronger window or thiner doors

soviet+engineering.jpg

but as you see they can use things other can't :P

M4 stock would burn, while AKS74 allow to prepare food

PPSH is super SMG, look : 1200 rounds per minute , 71 round magazine, strong TT ammo that is stronger than Para

PPSH is really strong machine

great mod ,this + checen rebels=flawless victory :p

Some bug report ( if haven`t yet ):

1. Hand are in gloves in 3d person but without them in 1st person.

2. Engineer`s backpack texture flickering.

3. Can`t pick engineer`s backpack if it was dropped.

1-i don't know how to resolve this. in viewpilot model the hands are gloved. i think in the game, it uses your personal avatar along with his hands.

2-i have resolved this by removing soldier_as from rvmat.

3-i will look into this.

thanks.

Nice, only what i hope, is now make a Russian insurgency mod unit against chechen rebels :)))) then i will died in play off this game :)))

=del=

Edited by 05B3S

johncage

I want to thank You for Your work at fist but there are a lot of mistakes in the addon. Frankly speaking it's one big mistake. It's not Your fault. It's from the lack of the info. I'll try to help You with it.

It's impossible to make general impression of the 95-96'period russian grunt. Sometimes even the regiments in one division differed from each over.

But there were some general things.

1) No camo for the enlisted (with the exeption of 205th MRBde. It was stationed in Khankala). Troops wore afghankas mostly. In some units (166th MRBde, 136 MrBde) old soviet M66\73 were issued.

50a417d9968dt.jpg

c0c065e6a13dt.jpg

This man - Pavel Zyabkin, wrote a novel "Soldiers of Unfortune" later about his combat tour with 166th.

2) No helmets\body armor from summer of 1995. Contractors which consisted the bulk of the infantry units from that time til the end of war, disliked them. 6B3 and 6B5 are too heavy for mountain raids. Afghan era 6B2 flack vests were in VEEEERY short supply. On the contrary VDV and VV units manned by draftees mostly wore body armor obligatorily.

---------- Post added at 12:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 AM ----------

e80fc339b50et.jpg

d130bed444a0t.jpg

Some officers and recon troops often bartered vests from MVD units.

About the mistakes of the addon.

1) 6B5 HAS pockets. And remove this strange belts, please.

2) The collars of pre'97 winter jackets are far more wider

3) REMOVE all SPLAV gear. It didn't exist in 95-97.

4) VOG-25 pouch is wrong. Here is the right one

2ea0a6d54063t.jpg

Troops often made belts from them.

5) Patches of the russian armed forces were rarely worn in infantry:

a) Most of the army hated Eltsin's government.

b) Afghankas, unlike "Barvikhas" (the correct designation of VSR) were supplied without any patches

6) Remove the black balaclavas. Issued balaclavas were brown. And it was rare thing in infantry. Simple black hat would be well enough

PS Also I have a lot to say about Vityaz but I'm waiting for moderators approvement of my photo post.

Edited by 05B3S

thanks for the info, seems there's a lot of conflicting information because at sarmat studios they say vsr was common in mid 90s. for armor, i cannot change it sorry. it is part of the model itself. i'll see about getting rid of the splav once i get a decent 6b5 vest with pockets.

the vog leg pouch i am in the process of removing. i'll also see about changing the model of the pouch for the grenadier.

the black balaclava are invoked from the bis packages. i don't actually have control over the textures. but it might be possible to do a retexture of it. anyone know how? thanks.