Sign in to follow this  
AlienXXI

How can he walk after that?

When I am shot in this game, I am unable to get up and run off. However, I could shoot an enemy (AI) in his legs and he still gets up and runs off.

Another odd thing.

Why does it take more then one shot to kill someone with the M24, and what looks to be the famous 50 cal sniper rifle? I can hit an AI target in the chest about 300 yards away, then the AI runs off a few feet from where I hit him, he then goes prone and crawls around like nothing hit him.

I don't know much about weapons, but I know enough that one hit from the M24 and 50 cal sniper rifle will own you. Heck, can't the 50 cal shoot through a steel plate about 1 mile away?

I'm not sure if these are bugs, but it's not very realistic watching an AI get shot in his leg run off like nothing happened, or an AI getting shot with a high powered sniper rifle acting like nothing happened. What are your thoughts about this?

That never happens to me. 7.62mm and 12.7mm put people down without exception.

AI may survive or be able to walk if they are hit in prone position. Certain parts of the torso, such as the groin also aren't fatal, and the blood spray hit markers are rather unreliable.

i have seen these kinds of occurrences often. and yes, the infamous "survive high caliber round to the head like it's nothing" moment.

Yep, sounds pretty familiar to me too. A headshot that don't kill happens on me quite a few times.

Guest amaygates111

Even the same happened to me also and these head markers are really unreliable.

Edited by amaygates111

The not being able to run thing is random. I've been shot in the legs tonnes of times and still been able to run away. Similarly, I've seen AI shot in the shin go down and crawl until healed (much to my frustration, especially in the first BAF mission, heh!). It depends on a lot of things, what calibre hit them, how far away the shooter was (projectile velocity), etc, etc.

Even then, who knows? Maybe the bullet caused only a through-and-through superficial wound, or a graze? Perhaps it missed major leg infrastructure? This randomness is about as good as it's going to get 'afore BIS knuckles down and makes a super-detailed damage system, which I doubt will happen anytime soon.

When a game basis itself on military realism, you would think they would get the hit system and weapon damage system correct. =/

Arma 2 1.0-> current OA. Seen once that a enemy survived a 9mm to the head. Several occasions where enemy survived a 7.62. Never surived a 12.7! Its pretty good the way it is.

I have this problem all the time, to alleviate it somewhat, whenever I create a mission, I have enemy soldiers start with 0.50 percent damage. This is enough to make them react to wounds more realistically, but not die whenever they land from a metre-high fall.

The not being able to run thing is random. I've been shot in the legs tonnes of times and still been able to run away. Similarly, I've seen AI shot in the shin go down and crawl until healed (much to my frustration, especially in the first BAF mission, heh!). It depends on a lot of things, what calibre hit them, how far away the shooter was (projectile velocity), etc, etc. Even then, who knows? Maybe the bullet caused only a through-and-through superficial wound, or a graze? Perhaps it missed major leg infrastructure? This randomness is about as good as it's going to get 'afore BIS knuckles down and makes a super-detailed damage system, which I doubt will happen anytime soon.

Imagine a fully-modelled and implemented bone-muscle-nerve system that reacts properly to wounds and injuries. That'll be the day.

Edited by Laqueesha

When a game basis itself on military realism, you would think they would get the hit system and weapon damage system correct. =/

Yes I wish Bohemia would slow down and fix things first before bringing out new expansions and addons and stuff.

In the next incarnation of the RV engine (if there is one), BIS should get rid of the hit-point system for good. A Makarov PM handgun blowing up an M1A2 MBT is very out of place in a military simulator.

Maybe the Makarov has depleted uranium hypersonic exploding rounds..... Maybe the Snipers rifle's are loaded with Rasberry jam who knows...... TBH I dont think I've ever seen someone survive a .50 cal shot in this game unless I missed 'em.

Maybe the Makarov has depleted uranium hypersonic exploding rounds..... Maybe the Snipers rifle's are loaded with Rasberry jam who knows...... TBH I dont think I've ever seen someone survive a .50 cal shot in this game unless I missed 'em.

Oh, a .50 BMG will kill anybody in the game with one shot, provided it hits them. Other types of ammunition on the other hand...

A Makarov PM handgun blowing up an M1A2 MBT is very out of place in a military simulator.

Good thing it's never happened without a custom made script and the game running for five hours.

In the next incarnation of the RV engine (if there is one), BIS should get rid of the hit-point system for good. A Makarov PM handgun blowing up an M1A2 MBT is very out of place in a military simulator.

I think you spend the time firing off thousands of pistol mags into a modern MBT, you deserve to see it explode eventually. :p J/K

And as usual, there's nothing preventing the BIS coders from fixing up this side of the game for a future release while the artists carry on making content.

Besides that, i'm all up for more realistic wounding in the core game.

You can't really be sure where you hit them since, as mentioned, the blood stains are notoriously unreliable and have been since OFP. It's not really -that- huge of a deal though, OFP has never had a purely realistic damage system. Case in point: the medics in ARMA 2 act more like a healer in Baldur's Gate than an actual medic.

These are all gameplay allowances! In a couple years when computers are stronger and ARMA 3/VBS3 is out you'll see some more realistic damage modeling, medics won't be magical, and there'll be actual casevac systems in place. 'Til then if you shoot a guy and he doesn't go down just shrug your shoulders and shoot him again :cool:

That's not a factor of computers being stronger at all. It's simply a design choice. Right now there's everything from respawns, revives, bleed outs, bandages and first aid available in both vanilla Arma2 and through mods. It's up to the players and the mission designers to choose the system that best fits their gameplay.

Hi all

Always usefull if people make an example mission when they claim these things so that they can prove their veracity.

.50 BMG wont kill? K prove it, because for me it is one shot one kill.

Kind Regards walker

you mean a video? the mission itself has nothing to do with hard coded weapon behavior.

and there's really no need. a lot of people have claimed there's problems with people surviving killing shots. so either they're all conspiring for some sinister purpose or there really is a problem...either latency or graphics based.

johncage,

As I'm sure you're aware, the essence of science is reproducibility. If the m109 isn't not powerful enough on your computer, its' not powerful enough on any computer. So, if you create a mission recreating the circumstances under which the shots won't kill, anyone should be able to play it and get what you're talking about. So no, a video showing the game glitching on your buggy computer will not help us.

For the record, an m109 hit from any range for me is a 1 shot kill hitting any body part.

you mean a video? the mission itself has nothing to do with hard coded weapon behavior.

and there's really no need. a lot of people have claimed there's problems with people surviving killing shots. so either they're all conspiring for some sinister purpose or there really is a problem...either latency or graphics based.

The problem has lasted this long because...

A) You're accused of being a pirate

B) Because many people don't experience it there is no possible way it can exist. It ain't a bug if it ain't experienced by 110% of players.

This subject has come up many times. Chances are it'll get buried again.

Edited by jblackrupert

B) Because many people don't experience it there is no possible way it can exist. It ain't a bug if it ain't experienced by 110% of players.

If it can't be reproduced, it's not a bug. This is correct. If it can't be reproduced, how can it be fixed? If he's worried about it, he can put it on the cit, but if it can't be reproduced and no one else is experiencing this problem, what priority do you think it will be?

Hi jblackrupert

You misunderstand me. I am not saying he is lying or that he is suffering from fade. I am simply saying I have never ever seen this happen in all the time I have played ArmA II and have played it quite a bit.

So if he wants to convince me or anyone else who plays or develops ArmA that the sky is falling then he has to prove it. Saying it or videoing just don't cut it. I can say the moon is made of green cheese and as for a video:

http://www.maniacworld.com/Everything-You-See-Is-Fake.html

As Max Power says until you have a reproducible mission you have nothing.

I even wrote how to do this early on in ArmA II release:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=74090

And also started a thread where the facts of ArmA II myths could be examined

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=103866

I am more than prepared to discuss real proof and accept real evidence and have always tried to prove what I say by the same burden of proof.

Kind Regards walker

you see, he has a steel plate the exact size of your bullet hidden somewhere on his body. and it just happens that you hit it every time and he is unharmed.