Sign in to follow this  
Hud Dorph

A request to all joining public servers

Pls do read the MOTD (Message Of The Day) when joining servers. Theese are the lines that pop up when u join a server, that many admins use to draw your attention to the rules set to the server you just joined. This will save both admins a lot of time/trouble as well as players from being kicked/banned for not following rules.

Server side looks something like this

// WELCOME MESSAGE ("message of the day")

// It can be several lines, separated by comma

// Empty messages "" will not be displayed at all but are only for increasing the interval

// "Welcome to the ......................... Server",

// "Proudly Hosted by .......................",

motd[]={

"Welcome to the ........................Server",

"Proudly Hosted by ..........................",

"WARNING: cheating, poor conduct, trouble makers will be BANNED and ID's shared with the community",

"Please utilise .........TS3 .................",

};

motdInterval=0; // Time interval (in seconds) between each message

I think those that are going to cause trouble will go ahead and do so regardless of server rules. Am not saying they will do so right from the start, as most people do stick to the rules, but when some get irritated, bored, or disillusioned with the game or people playing it, they may well start to break the rules. This can be prevented by remembering that its casual gamers that will play on public server's so a set rules suitable for casual play is best and not strict or threatening rules that limits casual play I.e. "Do as Clan members say or be kicked" which some public servers do have.

I've seen many times Clan members (and other players) scoff at non clan members, who are not causing any harm or broken any rules, simply because they won't fall inline and play the way the clan members (or other players) tell them too (follow orders, play as a group instead of solo etc), alot off time being kicked for it. When the simple fact is that, if the non clan member wanted to play a clan game or as part of a group, they'd join a clan or use their clan ID while playing MP or simply join their clans private server. It's that sort of action from clan members (and other players) towards casual players that can cause them to become irriated and disillusioned with the game and result in them crossing the line and start team killing etc. But thats what happens when you start putting unwanted and unneeded preassure on someone, which in extreme circumstances can amount to bullying and harrassment.

So what am saying is that, its all very well telling people to read the rules in the MOTD and follow the rules. But maybe some clans should also tell their members to respect those rules and that Casual players will play their own game and not to punish them just because they want to play casually and not as part of clan or group, especially when they have not actually broken any server rules. Also clans should make their public server rules casual player friendly too (Most do, but their are some that aren't all that friendly).

Off course cheaters and those that are hardcore idiots will just break rules from the start anyway. No matter what you say in the "Message of The Day" or here on the forums will change that, unfortunately.

Personally i do follow the server rules, but i do like to play casually mainly, but i will play as a group when i feel like doing so.

ADDITIONAL POST:

"WARNING: cheating, poor conduct, trouble makers will be BANNED and ID's shared with the community"

To me the Rule Poor Conduct is unclear making your definition of trouble makers unclear too. It also leaves casual players open to being kicked just because they want to play casually and not follow clan members or other players orders etc which is exactly what am talking about above. Rules if you wish for them to be followed should be clear and straight to the point and not open to interpretation in order to avoid confusion.

Id be very carefull about sharing peoples ID's with the community, as this is not only threatening to some people but also in some Countries like in the UK sharing of personal data (And a Users ID is personal data and owned by the User) can result in legal action against the owner of the server/clan for possible liable (especially if the user didn't break any rules or the rule he/she is accused of breaking is unclear like the one above) and for possible breach of data protection laws.

Edited by teaboy

OP is right, just read it, not getting into whys and wheres of the rules, the SERVER admin/owner has a right to ask you to follow them,,,,,,, REGARDLESS of whether you get kicked about a bit by a clan member....... if that happens try a diff server.....

ONE added point,,,, CHECK the server before you join, the amount of players who try and join our Combined ops server with only OA is unbelievable,,,, they may get lucky and join on a OA specific map, but as soon as we change it Ooooops! gone.... just check it first.

Bis have kindly listened to us all regarding the server viewer and the info it shows,, we should now all learn to check it first and then on joining as the OP states READ the individual rules.

I.e. "Do as Clan members say or be kicked" which some public servers do have.

To me the Rule Poor Conduct is unclear making your definition of trouble makers unclear too. .

Sorry Teaboy matey (only picked out 2 points) but lets face it, 90% of the Clan members you are talking about actually PAY for the right to state whats right and wrong... secondly... Whats unclear about "poor conduct" , do you expect them to list everything ? is it wrong to EXPECT a player to act with a bit of common sense.

OP is right, just read it, not getting into whys and wheres of the rules, the SERVER admin/owner has a right to ask you to follow them,,,,,,, REGARDLESS of whether you get kicked about a bit by a clan member....... if that happens try a diff server.....

ONE added point,,,, CHECK the server before you join, the amount of players who try and join our Combined ops server with only OA is unbelievable,,,, they may get lucky and join on a OA specific map, but as soon as we change it Ooooops! gone.... just check it first.

Bis have kindly listened to us all regarding the server viewer and the info it shows,, we should now all learn to check it first and then on joining as the OP states READ the individual rules.

Sorry Teaboy matey (only picked out 2 points) but lets face it, 90% of the Clan members you are talking about actually PAY for the right to state whats right and wrong... secondly... Whats unclear about "poor conduct" , do you expect them to list everything ? is it wrong to EXPECT a player to act with a bit of common sense.

Am not saying they don't have the right to ask you to follow the server rules as i agree they have every right to do so. I was simply giving my opinion as to why they see people breaking the rules, and such unclear rules like "poor conduct" (which i was merely using as an example for unclear rules) where they fail to give an example as to what would be deemed as poor conduct i.e Team killing, theft of team mates vehicles or soloing and not following orders" leaves such rules open to be broken. Because if a casual player joins the server their not going to know what the clans definition of poor conduct is and as such are likely to unintentionally break the rule, unless a clear example is given. I personally have never been kicked about, as you put it, (i personally call it bullying and harrasment if they haven't broken the rules) by clan members, but as i said i have seen others being scoffed at even when they Havent actually broken any rules. Which is something i don't like being a witness too and am sure alot of other players feel the same.

In otherwords i was giving the opinion of a casual players view of things which they can either take on board or ignore. But like clans having the right to request people to read the rules (which most do anyway, i know i certainly do), its only right that casual players like myself have the right to ask that they take our opinion into account too if they are wanting to encourage people to play on their public servers or even join the clans.

there is a real reason to why public MP is not really going anywhere but down...

It is really hard to manage (as an admin) a 20 players plus server, and then enjoy the game yourself...

Most players do other stuff like getting something to drink or a wee break while entering servers, and most players dont bother with reading anything, even popup messages, click continue and otw.

You all know this.

Though most players behave with common sense and the few that are out to do no good, they do it no matter what you have written in the intros.

But yeah id imagine running a public server would be more work than play, thats why most serious players join a clan, there are plenty out there, locked servers with no public issues and great teamplay as all are in for the same, and weeds get sorted very fast.

Whilst it's true that 99% of players don't read the motd, in my experience as a server admin there are a large majority of people that will follow the rules on the second time of asking and I'd just like to say "Thanks" to them because without them I'd have considerably less hair.

As for the "not doing what clanmembers tell them" issue, if one person's playing style is interfering with the way everyone else on the server wants to proceed then they should be booted immediately imo.

there is a real reason to why public MP is not really going anywhere but down...

It is really hard to manage (as an admin) a 20 players plus server, and then enjoy the game yourself...

Agreed and it always has been regardless of the game, though automation helps allot when it can be done, however as far as I know there is no kick or ban command that can be scripted in this engine so automation is out.

If more than one person could be admin, it wouldnt be so bad.

I have locked our server rather than babysit someone elses kids.

I guess we are lucky,,,, due to the fact we play 90 % ctf most of the players that join are vets of the game and its VERY rare we have to kick anyone,,, I think our ban list has about 5 members in there lol.... OUR server has been running since Arma2 came out so it cant all be bad :)