Sign in to follow this  
pooroldspike

Shoulder-launched AT weapons roundup

Yeah the Metis is an excellent weapon. I prefer it over the Jav as it can be fired faster than the jav as there is no need for a lock-on.

Also the RPG7 could do with more detail, eg, the warheads each handle very differently. Also, each warhead has a different "zero point" on the sight post that you will need to get used to. For example, the VR round is right at the bottom, while the VL is at the top 1/5 line.

OG-7: This is a frag round with a large blast radius. Effective against inf and unarmored vehicles.

PG-7V: This is a light HEAT round that is effective against unarmored vehicles like cars and lightly armored vehicles like the BRDM.

PG-7VL: This is a heavy HEAT round that is effective against Everything up to and including an IFV like the M2 Bradley or the BMP-2/3. Will work well against older tanks like the T-34/55/72. Modern MBT's like the M1 or the T90 can still be taken down with massed fire. A good tactic is to immobilize then start hitting the turret. Or follow up with the PG-7VR. This should be your bread-and-butter warhead to use.

PG-7VR: This is a tandem warhead HEAT round that is effective against MBT's. However it has a very short range and takes up more space than the other grenades.

Okay thanks, I've edited the METIS write-up to read "Effective against heavier armour"

And i'll run more tests to see what types of RPG rounds the game provides.

PS- Incidentally, most of the launchers in the game only have one shot which is a severe handicap if there's more than one enemy AFV in front of you..

So is there any way to make the operator begin a mission with more rockets, or give him quick and easy access to resupply in the field?

Edited by PoorOldSpike

If you're ever testing stuff the editor is far better than the armory. You can place down units that you wish to attack without any ammo to them so that you can shoot without fear of reprisal. You can also place down ammoboxes that are just full of weapons that you can then employ to whatever.

I suggest you to use the ACE Mod. The Rocket launchers are more realistic with ACE

you want to make this list useful? then expand it to explain each systems way to be aimed. now that'd be real useful as many are tricky for newcomers.

you want to make this list useful? then expand it to explain each systems way to be aimed. now that'd be real useful as many are tricky for newcomers.

I just aim at the enemy and pull the trigger, it seems to work okay

Ah, doesn't work like that if you use a mod that models ballistics. :p

But if it's for vanilla Arma2 on easy settings, I guess that's fine.

there's like a dozen mods out there, should he write a version for each one? point and click seems to work fine in all the mods i've tried.

I stick to pure vanilla because if we used all the assorted mods, addons, expansions, updates and patches out there, everybody will be singing from a dfferent song sheet and it'd be impossible to find online oppos who are compatible.

Vanilla rules..:)

Nah, not really. The Rocket Ballistivs in Vanilla are terrible

I'm no expert but I believe in the real world there are two types of AT rockets, guided and unguided.

Unguided have slight gravity drop, and guided don't.

I'll run some tests to see if the game models this.

PS- I use the 'Regular' difficulty setting. If I used Veteran or Expert, would it affect all weapon performances in any way?

Edited by PoorOldSpike

Hopefully in veteran or expert, weapons such as the Carl Gustav, Dragon and Metis have no ability to "lock-on".

In the real world unguided rockets should indeed drop, but the speed and drop varies widely between warhead types.

If you're just focusing on vanilla on "regular", ignore all this and put a note in for readers.

Offtopic, I would try ACE2 just to see what you're missing out on. The difference is fairly dramatic.

Hopefully in veteran or expert, weapons such as the Carl Gustav, Dragon and Metis have no ability to "lock-on".

In the real world unguided rockets should indeed drop, but the speed and drop varies widely between warhead types.

If you're just focusing on vanilla on "regular", ignore all this and put a note in for readers.

Offtopic, I would try ACE2 just to see what you're missing out on. The difference is fairly dramatic.

as with mods like those, you get 1 great feature out of 20 unwanted ones. and it is quite bloaty.

Nice effort PoorOldSpike

Two things:

1. You left out the Mk153 SMAW from the BLUFOR inventory;

2. Parallel to what Xerxes said about the different RPG-7 warheads, both the SMAW and the MAAWS have two types of warheads - HEAA (high-explosive anti-armor) and HEDP (high-explosive dual-purpose).

Good luck with it!

...You left out the Mk153 SMAW from the BLUFOR inventory...

Thanks, I only did a roundup of Arrowhead launchers, and as it's only in ArmaII I missed it. No sweat I just edited it in here-

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/showthread.php?6239-Shoulder-launched-AT-weapons-roundup

---------- Post added at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 AM ----------

..Offtopic, I would try ACE2 just to see what you're missing out on. The difference is fairly dramatic.

The big problem with mods is that if everybody uses different mods and addons, nobody will be singing from the same song sheet.

The resultant non-compatibility also scuppers attempts to play online if somebody has a certain mod and somebody else doesn't.

The big problem with mods is that if everybody uses different mods and addons, nobody will be singing from the same song sheet.

The resultant non-compatibility also scuppers attempts to play online if somebody has a certain mod and somebody else doesn't.

Well, obviously you can't just try to get several random people together and try to start a game filled with mods. :p But if you know these people, it only takes a few moments to arrange in advance. Thousands of people have been doing so for the last 10 years. Drifting further off topic so i'll shaddup now.

Just to clarify, my AT launcher tests were conducted with out-of-the-box (I hate the word 'vanilla') Arma 2 patched to 1.08, and box Arrowhead patched to 1.57, both games on 'Regular' difficulty settings.

Well, obviously you can't just try to get several random people together and try to start a game filled with mods. :p But if you know these people, it only takes a few moments to arrange in advance. Thousands of people have been doing so for the last 10 years..

Believe me i've tried multiplayer and it's been a disaster most times, despite their assurances that "everything will work".

What often happens is that when I try to join the server, i get a message such as missing "such-and-such a file".

For example I arranged to play Arrowhead with a guy but couldn't get in because he'd imported an LAV-25 armoured car in there, whereas I hadn't.

I'm vanilla AA2 1.08 and Arrowhead 1.57, so it seems I can only play if other people are exactly the same.