Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: OA beta build 76973

The 1 GB is correct. In the SLI setup you cannot sum the memory, as all resources need to replicated to both GPUs.

As for 2 GB vs 8 GB, yes, this is incorrect, but this is given by the fact we do all computations in 32b and the value is clamped to 2^31 to prevent overflows. In the end this should not matter much, as non-local VRAM usage is kept low anyway.

Thanks for the reply. Very impressive support from BIS...the support is so good it is now a hostile enemy to other companys. Thanks again to the 'war machine' at BIS. :D

The 1 GB is correct. In the SLI setup you cannot sum the memory, as all resources need to replicated to both GPUs.
Is this also the case for a Crossfire setup? My ATI HD5970 was identified as having 2 GB of memory. It has 1 GB per GPU.

Is this also the case for a Crossfire setup? My ATI HD5970 was identified as having 2 GB of memory. It has 1 GB per GPU.

Strange. Even this setup should be reporting 1 GB.

I have two 6870`s in xfire and I also get an incorrect value for local vram

localVRAM=2117771264;

seems much better though the LOD issue even with the incorrect value

My video card has 2Gb memory. What is best video memory settings for me - Default or Very High?

I have tested with Video Memory set to Very High -> LOD switching, low speed textures loading.

Video Memory set to Default -> Correct VRAM size detected, no LOD switching, good performance.

Thanks for this beta!

Noticed something that went a bit worse in this otherwise superb beta. It has been there but in much less scale (for me personally). Its the AA "problem" with white pixels. This time i see it in vegetation (bushes and trees) and its pretty much of it.

It shows only as far as i can tell in the first LOD at maximum distance. So furthest away in the first LOD as you can get. Thats where its worst. The other LODS seems to be fine.

Check images and see if anyone else of you have the same.

IMAGE1

IMAGE2

IMAGE3

Images JPG so not so great quality but you see the busy pixels going on in the trees.

Videocard: ATI HD6970 2GB (Drivers 10.12) <-maybe drivers are to blame? Hassle installing ATI drivers though. Tried to install older but they wouldnt "take". Display drivers never installed although i tried 10 times. So went back to 10.12 again.

Scared to move away from this beta if a new comes though. Performance is amazing. Please keep it that way sweet sweet BIS. :)

Noticed something that went a bit worse in this otherwise superb beta. It has been there but in much less scale (for me personally). Its the AA "problem" with white pixels. This time i see it in vegetation (bushes and trees) and its pretty much of it.

It shows only as far as i can tell in the first LOD at maximum distance. So furthest away in the first LOD as you can get. Thats where its worst. The other LODS seems to be fine.

Check images and see if anyone else of you have the same.

IMAGE1

IMAGE2

IMAGE3

Images JPG so not so great quality but you see the busy pixels going on in the trees.

Videocard: ATI HD6970 2GB (Drivers 10.12) <-maybe drivers are to blame? Hassle installing ATI drivers though. Tried to install older but they wouldnt "take". Display drivers never installed although i tried 10 times. So went back to 10.12 again.

Scared to move away from this beta if a new comes though. Performance is amazing. Please keep it that way sweet sweet BIS. :)

I have the same problem on 10.6.

HD4870 512mb Win7 64bit.

IMAGE1

IMAGE2

IMAGE3

I also have all of these white dots on trees when I have AA enabled inside game. I'm not sure what cause them - last driver update or last betas. It happened recently.

Hassle installing ATI drivers though. Tried to install older but they wouldnt "take". Display drivers never installed although i tried 10 times. So went back to 10.12 again.

All

Those

Installs

I'm probably preaching to the converted, but this works every time for me, even when my ATI drivers were completely corrupted:

Open an administrator command prompt:

1. Start (windows button)

2. Type "cmd" (or click Run and type "cmd") then right click and choose "Run as Administrator" (or just run if you are on XP)

To uninstall existing drivers:

3. Type "cd C:\Program Files\ATI\CIM\Bin64" or "cd C:\Program Files\ATI\CIM\Bin" (you are either 32 or 64 bit)

4. Type "ATISetup.exe -Uninstall"

5. Use Driver Sweeper or a similar program to clear out all traces of ATI software. Probably safest to reboot before doing this. Certainly, you should reboot after this step.

To install new drivers:

6. Download them from ati.

7. Extract them somewhere.

8. Type "cd ZZZZZZZZZZZZ\Bin64" or "cd ZZZZZZZZZZZZ\Bin" (you are either 32 or 64 bit) and ZZZZZZZZZZZZ is the folder you extracted.

9. Type "ATISetup.exe -Install -output screen."

10. Shouldn't be any need to reboot.

Incidentally, no white dots with Von Modded 10.12 drivers and AA on. I won't say any more, for fear of sounding like a stuck record.

Know the feeling.

You'll do it anyway, no doubt :p

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With HD4870x2 (2 x 1GB RAM), the game still sets local VRAM to 2GB by default for me, too. I get improved performance by switching it to 1GB manually and write-protecting the .cfg file.

Edited by Richey79

With HD4870x2 (2 x 1GB RAM), the game still sets local VRAM to 2GB by default for me, too. I get improved performance by switching it to 1GB manually and write-protecting the .cfg file.

This is most likely placebo. The VRAM entries of the .cfg files are write only. If you make the file read only, you only prevent the game to output the detected values, but you will not force it to use the values you have provided.

Cheers guys for letting me know im not alone. :D

Also thanks Richey79 for installation info.

EDIT: Suma, since the CFG writes the output of the game, does it matter anything that the 3DPerformance say one time 100000 (positive nr), and with another beta -4000000 (negative 4 million)? Very interested in this as it "seems" there is a difference. Maybe also placebo?

Edited by Alex72

WOW.I didn't believe a little beta patch like this can make all the difference for me!Before the beta,I used to get normal lod's,but only for a limited period of time.That time was dependent on how "intense" the situation is - let's say : if I stay at base,or travel to the AO (assuming I'm playing Domination),I get no problems,but when I get to the AO,within the heart of battle the textures start switching to low res,and everything starts looking like nothing before.It was a little annoying,but I got used to it.Anyways,after I installed this beta,and gave it a shot - WOW.I couldn't believe my eyes.I joined a Domination server again (with at least 17 players) and as usual,at first there were no problems.I was like "Ok,but I'm pretty sure things will change (for the worst),when I get to the AO,especially if it's some big city".So I went to the AO and guess what - nothing happened!All textures were loaded correctly and I saw no switching at all!I couldn't believe my eyes.I started checking everything all the time (ground ; building and foliage textures),but they all remained in their high resolution state.I was so excited I stayed in the city when our guys ordered an air strike on it,hehe :D

I don't know what you people did,but I want you to know it made an amazing difference for me,and now I can fully enjoy this game!I really hope you make the same kind of patch (beta or not),for ArmA 2 :) Thank you!

WOW.I didn't believe a little beta patch like this can make all the difference for me!Before the beta,I used to get normal lod's,but only for a limited period of time.That time was dependent on how "intense" the situation is - let's say : if I stay at base,or travel to the AO (assuming I'm playing Domination),I get no problems,but when I get to the AO,within the heart of battle the textures start switching to low res,and everything starts looking like nothing before.It was a little annoying,but I got used to it.Anyways,after I installed this beta,and gave it a shot - WOW.I couldn't believe my eyes.I joined a Domination server again (with at least 17 players) and as usual,at first there were no problems.I was like "Ok,but I'm pretty sure things will change (for the worst),when I get to the AO,especially if it's some big city".So I went to the AO and guess what - nothing happened!All textures were loaded correctly and I saw no switching at all!I couldn't believe my eyes.I started checking everything all the time (ground ; building and foliage textures),but they all remained in their high resolution state.I was so excited I stayed in the city when our guys ordered an air strike on it,hehe :D

I don't know what you people did,but I want you to know it made an amazing difference for me,and now I can fully enjoy this game!I really hope you make the same kind of patch (beta or not),for ArmA 2 :) Thank you!

Can you list your specs so I can know what to expect.

Thanks

Sure thing :

Mobo: Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3P

CPU: C2Duo E4300 1.8 GHz stock - clocked to 3.0 GHz

RAM: 2GB

VGA: 260 GTX 896MB

If you haven't,give this beta a try.I really hope more people get my results :) I also hope they implement whatever this fix is to ArmA 2 (standalone) via a patch as well.

P.S. Make sure your ArmA 2 OA.cfg is not checked for "read only".

If you haven't,give this beta a try.I really hope more people get my results :) I also hope they implement whatever this fix is to ArmA 2 (standalone) via a patch as well.

P.S. Make sure your ArmA 2 OA.cfg is not checked for "read only".

With you there. This beta is indeed very good in performance.