Sign in to follow this  
_gm_

What do I need to start playing MP?

Hello all,

I have a few dozen hours in the Arma2 and Arma2:OA demos, and I purchased the Arma2/OA bundle this weekend and starting playing the campaign and armory modes. Then when I felt I was ready, I jumped into Multiplayer only to find out that I'm without many of the mods needed to join existing servers. I was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction and maybe even go so far as to create a sticky in this section for future players.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I have a few dozen hours in the Arma2 and Arma2:OA demos, and I purchased the Arma2/OA bundle this weekend and starting playing the campaign and armory modes. Then when I felt I was ready, I jumped into Multiplayer only to find out that I'm without many of the mods needed to join existing servers. I was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction and maybe even go so far as to create a sticky in this section for future players.

Thanks!

Was the sticky right above your post in this section not good enough?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=79628

Good luck and welcome to the forums... have fun. ;)

Ahh, the title of that post is strangely misleading. Thanks, reading now!

If your coming from simpler games like Battlefield then Advance and Secure is good

for getting a feel for controlling your soldier and messing about with vehicles.

Put "AAS" or "PVP" in the browser filter.

If your coming from simpler games like Battlefield then Advance and Secure is good

for getting a feel for controlling your soldier and messing about with vehicles.

Put "AAS" or "PVP" in the browser filter.

Thanks jblackrupert for describing those game types. I have been playing FPS games for a decade but gave ArmA a try last year and have put in some good hours both in single and multiplayer (Demo) since.

Strange. Our squad always makes a point of not running mods on the public server for exactly this reason and I know there are a large number of servers out there exactly the same. The mods you're missing don't start with "ca" do they?

Well ArmA is a lot of things. It can be a tactical shooter with CTF, AAS and such. You can do some fly or vhicle sim. Or you can do a milsim.

If you into serious gaming, about simulation of RL and a big fan of co-op and teamplay. you won't find any better game then this. No matter if you like being the grunt, sniper, pilot, gunner, artillery officer or any other of the roles out there.

My suggestion for you: find out what kind of player are you and find a community that play with you.

Oh jee I understood this post wrong, I read why and not what do I need to start MP ;)

Well U'll need to get the mods. You can use six updater http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/files

or yoma addon sync - http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5103

you can find a debate about it here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=93417

Still my best solution to you is find a community they will guide you through because each community uses diffrent mods.

Edited by shay_gman

Thanks guys, that's a great tip about determining what role I prefer and finding a community with a need for that role.

I'm a former Battlefield Desert Combat clan/team player and lately I've been playing Battlefield:Bad Company 2 which has a little of everything including squad-based teamplay and different roles with a high 'fun' factor, but just as many casual players looking to 'pWn n00bs' and get high scores.