Sign in to follow this  
paplate

Requesting information regarding Navy SEALs

My friend is considering joining the US Navy SEALs, and while he's currently finding info right now, he was wondering if I could help. I know there are a lot of former/current military personnel on this forum, and I was wondering if they could answer some questions.

1. What kind of physical drills should be done in preparation for SEALs?

2. How long should he expect training to last?

I'll add more if he has any others.

One question, is he already enlisted in the US Navy?

No, we're both still in High School. He's doing everything he can with what he knows right now to prepare.

Us navy seal site info on the seals is out there for the grab, your question would have more effect if you ask, does anyone have direct experiance with enlisting to the seals ...

Joining Navy Seals

Although there is no easy way to become a SEAL, there are several ways to become a SEAL candidate. As a civilian you can request to join the SEALs prior to enlisting through the SEAL Challenge Contract (Seaman to SEAL program). The SEAL Challenge Contract guarantees you the opportunity to become a SEAL candidate and entitles you to certain bonuses and benefits when you enlist.

If you don't get a SEAL Challenge Contract prior to enlisting, you can still volunteer to take the Physical Screening Test (PST) during the first week boot camp. If you successfully pass the PST a Naval Special Operation Motivator will interview you. The motivator will then submit a request for you to enter the Naval Special Warfare (BUD/S) training pipeline.

TIP: Be sure to tell the Navy recruiter that you want to take the SEAL Challenge before you enlist. SEAL volunteers that don't have the SEAL Challenge Contract prior to joining don't qualify for the same benefits as applicants that have the contract.

Navy Seals Qualifications

All SEAL candidates are required to meet the following qualification standards and pass the Physical Screening Test (PST):

* 18-28 years old (17 with parental permission)

* A U.S. citizen.

* High school graduate (or meet High Performance Predictor Profile (HP3) criteria). Be proficient in reading, speaking, writing, and understanding the English language.

* Have clean record - Not be under civil restraint, a substance abuser nor have a pattern of minor convictions or any non-minor, misdemeanor, or felony convictions (waivers are granted depending on number and severity). The Special Assistant for Legal Affairs must not enlist applicants with lawsuits pending against them without prior approval.

* ASVAB minimum requirements: SEAL - GS+MC+EI=165 or VE+MK+MC+CS=220 Since you cannot get a waiver on the required ASVAB score it is critical that you score high on the ASVAB. Check out our ASVAB Practice tests to learn how you can Ace the ASVAB.

* Eyesight Requirements: Uncorrected vision in the better eye can be no worse than 20/70, the worse eye no more than 20/100. Both eyes must be correctable to 20/20. Color deficiencies require approval.

If you meet these qualifications a Navy Special Operations Motivator will administer the PST after you arrive at Boot Camp.

SEAL training is extremely demanding and it is not designed to "get you in shape." You must be in excellent physical condition and pass the PST before you can be considered a SEAL candidate. Stew Smith can teach you how to get and stay in SEAL shape. Visit the Fitness Center to learn more.

The following SEAL PST is designed to see if you have what it takes to enter SEAL training. To pass you must be able to complete the following regimen:

* Swim 500-yards using breast and/or sidestroke in less than 12 minutes and 30 seconds

10-minute rest

* Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups in 2 minutes

2-minute rest

* Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes

2-minute rest

* Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups (no time limit)

10-minute rest

* Run 1 ½ miles wearing TENNIS SHOES and SHORTS in under 11 minutes.*

* While at Recruit Training Center SEAL Candidates will transition to Boots and Long Pants for the Run portion of the PST. To remain qualified for the SEAL training Pipeline, the SEAL candidate must perform the 1 ½ mile run portion of the PST in Boots and Long Pants in 11:30 or less.

Once you have finished Boot Camp — if you make the cut — you will attend a two-week Apprenticeship Training Division School, with immediate assignment to BUD/S (Basic Underwater Demolition / SEAL) training.

The Navy SEAL training program will stress you beyond your limits to make sure you're worthy to serve with the world's best fighting force. Be prepared, stay focused, make mature choices, and understand what you are volunteering for. Check out the complete Navy SEAL Training program

regards

Edited by KBourne

I'd recommend reading the book "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. He is the surviving SEAL from Operation Redwing, and goes into great detail regarding BUD/S and SEAL training.

I'd recommend reading the book "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell. He is the surviving SEAL from Operation Redwing, and goes into great detail regarding BUD/S and SEAL training.

Interesting fellow. When his team's position was discovered by goat herds, he cast the deciding vote to not murder them, and said later, "It was the stupidest, most southern-fried, lame brained decision I ever made in my life. I must have been out of my mind." It was the local Afghans who saved his life.

Interesting fellow. When his team's position was discovered by goat herds, he cast the deciding vote to not murder them, and said later, "It was the stupidest, most southern-fried, lame brained decision I ever made in my life. I must have been out of my mind." It was the local Afghans who saved his life.

That shockingly mirrors the same thing that happened to the SAS squad of Bravo two zero. However in the follow up book "the REAL bravo two zero" that researched the claims and found most of the book to be bollocks. The boy that compromised them was actually the grandson of an elderly man that rode a tractor (this tractor was written as a barrage of iraqi tanks that engaged in a huge firefight.) A group of British generals said that if all the soldiers killed as manay iraqis as the bravo two zero squad claimed to have killed, the war would have been over in 2 weeks.

The physical requirements are suprisingly low, at least everything but the swimming, wouldnt have a clue about that.

The physical requirements are suprisingly low, at least everything but the swimming, wouldnt have a clue about that.

Yeah i was also suprised about that.

Those look very low. I imagine those tests are not a strait pass/fail but stand as a bare minimum, anyone below that line fails. However since anyone who has trained seriously, would blast those requirements with ease, not even a sweat, the likelyhood of those that have just scraped in, making it into the SEAL's very unlikely.

This is just a guess, but an educated one. Im am trying to sign up with the UK Para's and the requirement are alot higher. As far as i know there is not a strict requirement (some may correct me) apart from the 1 1/2 mile. It must be completed in under 9min 20secs (ive seen 9.40 if you can dead lift 100kg ~) however recuiters have said if i want a chance of getting in, my time will need to be under 9mi to get a good enough score.

So my adivce would be to get as fit as humanly possible, BUT and it a big but, you MUST NOT OVERTRAIN!!! make sure you are capable of achiving your goals, else you will injure yourself prolonging the whole thing.

This is what i would say is a good milestone

1 1/2 mile - under 9min

pressups - 60~80 +

Situps - 60~80 +

Heaves (pull up) 15+

Good finaly good luck, i hope you reach your aspirations!