Sign in to follow this  
DarkLight

Who do you admire the most?

I thought it would be nice to know what person (male or female) you admire the most. No more then 1 person is allowed. And if you have someone plz include a pic or something like that. Try to explain why you like him/her so much and what he/she means for you, etc.

Mine would be Ernesto "Che" Guevara, i guess that doesn't need too much explanation cuz everybody probable knows him. I've read a lot of books about him (i hate reading but i really like to read stuff about him), i have some videos with documentaries about him.

Why i like him that much is hard to explain, he was such a special person... it's really hard to explain, try reading a book about him biggrin.gif

I think it's pretty sad that today he is used as a thing to sell stuff so much (like the first pic that i'll post, it's on pretty much everything), most ppl don't really know what he did but they all run around wearing t shirts with "che vive" on it and with that famous pic. Oh well smile.gif

Plz feel free to post the person you admire the most. (plz don't bs in this thread, well, at least not too much)

Probable the most famous pic of che.

che18sm.jpg

First pic of Che in a uniform, probable taken February 1957.

rev02.jpg

Che in his camp in El hombrito.

che08.jpg

Me. I admire myself the most.

bigarse.jpg

Sidnote to myself:

Have I told myself lately how much I mean to me? Well, I'd like to say that I am the most important person in my life. I love me.

I bet that pic has to be the most famous photograph ever taken, though I hear the photographer didn't get much $$ from it.

My hero, OoOoO, hard to say.

I admire Nelson, Churchill, Collingwood, Eric Hartmann, a Swordfish pilot I once met but his name fails me, and of course, most importantly... me.

I admire my Grandfather the most because he went through hell in World War 2. He was on the destroyers in the North Atlantic from the beginning to the end of the Second World War.

He had a very eventful war, being shot at by messerschmitts, spending 21 days in a rowing-boat surviving on flying fish. He was also captured by the Spanish but he managed to escape into the Spanish hills and eventually make his way to Gibraltar.

He was sunk about 3 times, at one point his ship was sunk, and the ship that picked him up was also torpedoed and sunk. Such was the fate of the ships in the convoys.

He was also involved in the convoys to Northern Russia, his ship was so packed with ice that they had to chip it off as it was in danger of capsizing.

Most of the time he wouldn't want to talk about the war so I'm not sure if he did anything else.

I'm proud to share the same name as him, I wish I could have met him.

My granpa fought in the Spanish Civil War 1936-1939, in the republican side (u know, against the fascist fuckers who sadly won the war).

Ur dad was captured by the spanish? I'm glad he escaped, they could have turned him to the Germans or jail him in a hellhole until 1945 at least...

<span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>WOBBLE!</span></span>

mad.gif

Ill leave the debate as to whether or not Che Guevara is a hero or a murderer to another thread mad.gif

I would have to say, although many people would rate as a hero in my book, the one person I would like to emulate most would be Chuck Yeager. He was an ace in WWII, was one of the first pilots to be shot down over Europe and not spend the rest of the war in a prison camp (with the help of the French Resistance he made it to Spain and was later exchanged), he broke the sound barrier, and served his country for most of the Cold War. Read his autobiography, he has lead an incredibly dynamic life, and I guess I want to do that to. And, if I end up doing what I do as well as Yeager does, I guess that wont be too bad either.

José Martí, Cuba's most beloved national hero (For the communists and anti-communists alike!!!wink.gif. I did a paper on him in my last year of high school, and got 48/50 (Lost two marks on Mechanical errors! mad.gif ) unfortunately I only have a hard copy but I was thinking of retyping it anyways and posting a link to it on the net, so I guess I'll start doing that now, and I'll post a link to it here for anyone interested.

The mention of Yeager made me think of Douglas Bader, the world war two fighter ace with no legs.

This man joined the RAF pre-war and tragically lost his legs in a plane crash (he was encouraged to show off his flying skills with some aerial stunts, but he was unused to the plane he was flying (bulldog i think) and it was too heavy really to carry out such low level stunts)

No one thought he would live after having both legs amputated, let alone walk again. But after aquiring some tin legs he started to walk, enduring horrific pain and more impressively not even using a walking stick.

At the outbreak of WW2 the RAF reassessed him and allowed him to fly. He worked his way through the lesser planes until he eventually had control of the renowned Hawker Hurricane. He got his first kill in Dunkirk in 1940, and shot down 22 enemies in total becoming renowned as an 'ace'. Following the Battle of Britain he was awarded the Distinguished Service Order and the Distinguished Flying Cross for gallantry and leadership of the highest order.

Bader’s amazing aura of invincibility was broken in 1941 when the plane he was flying collided with a German Messerschmit, and the Nazis captured him. After trying to escape several times he was transferred to Colditz, where he stayed until 1945, the end of the war.

Upon his return to England he was chosen to lead the three hundred plane victory flypast, over London, so highly was he regarded. He left the RAF a year later – the tedium of military service in peaceful times was no longer a desired option for him. In 1976 he was knighted, for the services he has given to amputees. Six years later he died of a heart attack aged seventy-two. Without the courage shown by people like Douglas Bader, the war may well have been lost.

bader1.jpg

Bader is in between then men in black and white, in the center of the pic

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">he broke the sound barrier,<span id='postcolor'>

By nicking all the secret info off of the Brits first tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ChickenHawk @ May 11 2002,02:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">he broke the sound barrier,<span id='postcolor'>

By nicking all the secret info off of the Brits first tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

like that secret of strapping a rocket on a prop plane and diving from 30,000? Yeah, what a secret. All the technology that went into the Bell X-1 was either homegrown or stolen from the Nazis tounge.gif

Us brits had a jet plane prototype during WW2, and we handed the details over to America and they started their own thing. But Germany were the only ones to get something rather succesful up and running and actually used it.

Do correct me if im wrong.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tex [uSMC] @ May 11 2002,02:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">All the technology that went into the Bell X-1 was either homegrown or stolen from the Nazis  tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, I find it hillarious that the space race between the Americans and the Soviet was basically a question of who had captured the most German scientists smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ May 11 2002,02:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Us brits had a jet plane prototype during WW2, and we handed the details over to America and they started their own thing. But Germany were the only ones to get something rather succesful up and running and actually used it.

Do correct me if im wrong.<span id='postcolor'>

yes, you did have a jet plane that you shared with us. However, the Bell X-1 was a rocket plane. Its fuel was so volatile that the pilot had to practically run out of fuel before he could land, because the risk of the fuel exploding on landing was so high

Oh i dont disagree tex, was just stating some ever so slightly relevant info because I saw an hour or two long program a short while ago about the development of jets during WW2 and onwards smile.gif

My hero is Arthur "Bull" Simons

He led the Son Tay Raid in Vietnam. The funny thing was that the insertion involved the first chopper was to go in as fast as it could. The solution: crash the chopper. Too bad none of the prisoners were there though sad.gif . They had all been moved to somewhere else . The good part was that the only casualties were a broken leg and 2 pilots from a Wild Weasel who were shot down rescued immediatly.

Also most of the Medal of Honor recipients.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mine would be Ernesto "Che" Guevara<span id='postcolor'>

Are you serious?

Mine:

1. Carlos Hathcock

2. Audie Murphy

i admire steven hawkings the most, the man is an abosolute genius biggrin.gif and considering his disability and his ability to continue his work, i take my hat of to thee.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ May 11 2002,07:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mine would be Ernesto "Che" Guevara<span id='postcolor'>

Are you serious?<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, i am very serious but i'm a bit afraid to say why because lots of ppl on this forum will find it insulting for their country and it will only create another one of those flamewars. confused.gif

Why do you think i wouldn't be serious? What do you think is so bad about him?

Mine is Bob Dylan, in my opinion the most influencial musician of this century. Together with elvis he made modern rock music what it is. About the guevara thing: If darklight see him as a example then thats his opinion, no need to rag on that.

Archie Gemmil, you Scots out there will know why lol........

Really my Grandmother for all that she was and meant to me and all her children, grandchildren, and greatgrandchildren.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes, i am very serious but i'm a bit afraid to say why because lots of ppl on this forum will find it insulting for their country and it will only create another one of those flamewars.

<span id='postcolor'>

Hey, there is freedom of speech. If someone doesn't like what you say, it's their problem, not yours.

USSoldier11B, ask someone from vietnam and he most likely will tell you that Carlos Hathcock was a mass murderer. Your war heroes are the other side's war criminals. Personaly, i don't think Hathcock was a criminal, and i don't think Che Guevara was a criminal either.

"Bob Dylan and Elvis has made Rock music what it has become today".

Too bad that rock music has degraded to crappy "rap-rock" music.

Disgusting.

Hey, Supah, are you into Herman Brood? I was just curious, cause I know alot of Dutchmen who are into him.