Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

gamepad vs keyboard/mouse that is the ?

Hello community My name is AVIBIRD long time player of OFPCWC PC and XBOX OFP ELITE. Please no fights no bad words only a nice debate for the PRO's and CON's using a Gamepad over the keyboard and mouse (rat) while playing ARMA2/OA.

The setup of the gamepad within the game is nice but still inadequate to play ARMA without using the keyboard. I use a program called XPADDER and I have 95% of all the keys and mouse fucntions are on my XBOX controller. A few I have not find the right placement and combo to make it work for me right now, but still working on it.

I find it very hard playing this game using the keyboard and rat not because of the number of keys used or the complexity of commands. When using a hand control/gamepad you have better Maneuverability of your Soilder and vehicles in the game world. Yes it is true, the mouse has a better freedom of movement on the screen which results in a better accracy with aming your weapon but that is the only real Advantage I see. The program that I use lets me adjust the thumb stick movement Sensitivity which almost reduces the gap betwwen then mouse and thumb stick for aiming.

How many players use XPADDER here or a different program and what do you feel about the PRO's/CON's. I know that PC only players will have a hard time with a gamepad just like a console player would be lost on the keyboard. I have used both and the gamepad just gives you better Maneuverability in the game world.

If you can get a gamepad to work with the game, Then theres no reason not to use it. Just, Theres way to many buttons to use Just a controller, using a combo is a good fix. Its all down to preference. If you prefer a gamepad over a mouse, Its all down to what you like.

Theres no right/wrong way to play a game. Just what you prefer. Major con though, would have to be spaces for buttons... That one is bound to come. So yeah, Its out of the way now.

I sometimes use an XBOX controller for driving or flying... but only to get from point A to B. I find it rather useless for actual combat or for anything infantry related.

I have tried and tried again to figure out a good scheme. But in all honesty, the controller just lacks a few more keys I really need just for the basics even. You can use the built in scheme, but can't change the fire buttons... or you can not use the scheme and can't invert a certain axis. I don't remember specifically what it was, but i gave up.

Even though I tried many different setups with the controller, I knew in adavance it would never be a suitable replacement for a good keyboard/mouse combo.

This might help to print out when setting yours up though...

xbox360.jpg

Also, there have been a few threads already discussing this, and it seems most of those threads died off without any good setups really being discovered.

I sometimes use an XBOX controller for driving or flying... but only to get from point A to B. I find it rather useless for actual combat or for anything infantry related.

I have tried and tried again to figure out a good scheme. But in all honesty, the controller just lacks a few more keys I really need just for the basics even. You can use the built in scheme, but can't change the fire buttons... or you can not use the scheme and can't invert a certain axis. I don't remember specifically what it was, but i gave up.

Even though I tried many different setups with the controller, I knew in adavance it would never be a suitable replacement for a good keyboard/mouse combo.

This might help to print out when setting yours up though...

xbox360.jpg

Also, there have been a few threads already discussing this, and it seems most of those threads died off without any good setups really being discovered.

Have you seen XPADDER.COM it only cost $10.00 and it lets you setup any combo you want. You can get every key and mouse function on one gamepad. I have a few friends playing ARMA using it right now it works.

I simply cannot use gamepads to play FPS shooters at all, it seems counterproductive to me. I have to use a mouse + keyboard, only combo I can work with. When flying, I use a Cougar joystick with rudder, however I would consider using a gamepad if it would work well.

In fact, I just ordered one for use in Assassin's Creed, and I also intend to use it in ArmA2 for external camera control. I do a lot of testing with an external camera, I map the rotation controls to my TrackIR and the direction controls to the joystick, however the game pad will work better for this role I think.

KB/m for infrantry and ground vehicles because of much more precise control, X360 gamepad for flying as I can fly much easier that way and I can setup all controls I need within 5 centimeters away from my hand and I can see them all the time.

I'd like to use one for flying and ground vehicles as well. I think I may just do that.

I use gamepads for console ports.

Platformers and third person games mostly.

Not for FPS or RTS titles obviously. But things like Batman, Mario Bros or Trine.

I have joysticks and driving wheels etc for flying and drivning games.