Sign in to follow this  
bwph4273

W.I.P SR-71 Blackbird

OK here is a project i started when i released the beta of my BD-5J . this is the Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird it is not going to be 100% correct due to game engine limitations and other factors but my goal is to make it pretty realistic well as realistic as possible (best of my abilitys). it will have a functional cockpits for pilot and co-pilot. you can look at more pictures HERE.

sr-71blackbird1-1.jpg

Dwm2010-12-3100-31-16-22-1.jpg

Edited by bwph4273
added another pic

great start mate.

One of my all time favorite aircraft.

Nice bro,,, hows that deflate doin for the Lcac...... BTW @Eble mine too , i was stationed on Okinawa and they had a few there .. great plane to watch do its thing...@ Bwph could really use your input on a few things as well hit me up

@ F2F BHO well i still working on it . it will be a while before i get it done I'm almost having to animate single verts to get it to even start to look right . i will send u a video when i get some more done on it .

How is it going to work in Arma 2? Wouldn't it shoot right off the map?

There will be simply no runways long enought to get it airborne.

as said it will not be 100% realistic due to game engine limitations

And usage for that plane would be exactly what?

Recon? Spying? And flying it at high speeds while doing stunts?

The satisfaction of the author doing things that he wants to do, and likewise sharing it with people who have similar interests?

I think it would also make a great plot device in a mission- as a wreck, or even just parked.

Man this is one of the best looking aircraft ever..... I'm not bothered if it wont even do much other than fly high and fast... Its just so damned cool. Good luckmate... Maybe a targeting camera like the F-117 that was released... if it was possible to make the camera viewable for ground units in a uav computer for M-player... Is that even possible to do?

I know this isn't realistic but you might want to look at COD BLACK COCKS for inspiration?

High speed get-away maybe?

@bwph

Lookin good.

That looks sweet.

I was just thinking though, Would it be possible to create the two seat version, only the co-pilot would have the under belly camera too look down? Obviously with the height that its meant to travel at, Could you use some sort of script to make the camera 500m above ground level, reguardless of the height of the plane?

Just shut up ;)

bwph4273 has made one of the most detailed (if not most detailed) AND unusual planes so far, the little BD-5J jet. He could do Starship Enterprise as far as Im concerned, no matter what, you can expect one of the best looking and thought-through addons.

Just shut up ;)

bwph4273 has made one of the most detailed (if not most detailed) AND unusual planes so far, the little BD-5J jet. He could do Starship Enterprise as far as Im concerned, no matter what, you can expect one of the best looking and thought-through addons.

+++++

I hate people who dismiss addons because they are not "realistic enough" or "dont fit in the gameplay". Back during the OFP days no one cared about such things, there was way much variety.

@CannonousCrash well in fact that is exactly the way i have the model set up right now and plan on implementing something very similar to what you said . i plan on adding several scripts depending on if you the pilot or co-pilot to make the plane circle around a designated point (i.e. map click )if your the co-pilot so you can scan for targets and mark them. if you the pilot a script to have the AI co-pilot use the down-looking camera to search for and mark targets . and yes i have modeled a down-looking camera on it . i searched the net for some pics to base mine off of but i could not find any of the camera on the plane at all . i plan on making the camera act kind of the way the uav does where u can lock it on a position. but anyways it will be a while before it is done . lots of work to do .

dlcamera.jpg

Since when do you need a use for an add-on? I downloaded the AN-225 (world's largest aircraft) and there's certainly no use for that :). The SR71 is gonna be awesome!! Just make sure you make it fast as hell :cheesy:

Waiting for that baby to chill in the plane and command my units under me through hell like in COD Lol :slayer8:

thanks for your work, with the F-22 it is my favourite plane :-)

Reasons for addin existence...if it serves to entertain, even by simply being there then that is reason enough. Great looking blackbird, don't let anyone discourage you from furthering it:). Oh and looking forward to seeing that circling and target marking/tracking in action on the bird.

Edited by NodUnit

Radio transmission protocol between a SR-71 Pilot and Air controller who is obviously not familiar with the SR-71:

Pilot: Radar, Good Day, Airforce Blackbird, request FL 600(!)

Controller (amused): Sir, if you can reach, you are cleared FL 600

Pilot: US Air Force Blackbird, leaving FL 800, decending Level 600...

Classical...

Finally the sexiest bird ever built comes to ArmA 2. Definately a must-have for me.