Sign in to follow this  
Commonplace

Australians in Vietnam

Hello,

this is one campaign I am so impressed with (after I'm done with it after nearly 2 months) that I have to open a thread for it.

I'm talking about the campaign of Vietnam: The Experience, named "Australians in Vietnam".

Its the first time that I witness the war from the eyes of an australian SAS commando and I seem to like it.

It has a lot of well made missions and its extremely satisfying.

Its included in the VTE Mod release:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8302#comments

Australians were in Vietnam too. Witness it.

7_mkJ.jpg

4hpkA.jpg

14eu10.png

tank2zpsk.png

Have you played it yet? What do you think about it?

Played and finished !!

Nice even if too simple (speaking about campaign complexity).

Could be implemented in the gameplay but btw not so bad.

i.e. implementing: random patrol script, more vc around the jungle, air support in some mission, weapons selection ...

I liked this, but haven't finished it. What is up with the boat sabotage mission? I could come within arms reach of the boats in the dark, but I am unarmed recon. I couldn't get my squad to attack the sampans in the river even after repeated orders to do so. They just sat and watched from shore.

I've played both VTE and Unsung, another Vietnam mod. They are both refreshing, in that they are very different from other Arma 2 scenarios. Aside from the night river mission, I can't say I have ever REALLY seen a Viet Cong or NVA despite taking lots of fire in these missions. I gather this is basically a correct representation of what that war was like ...

Edited by MissionCreep

VTE has great potential for sure. Just wait and see... ;)

I liked this, but haven't finished it. What is up with the boat sabotage mission? I could come within arms reach of the boats in the dark, but I am unarmed recon. I couldn't get my squad to attack the sampans in the river even after repeated orders to do so. They just sat and watched from shore.

Never encountered this. Make sure you run VTE only, without other mods interfering.

Are there any SP or CAMP missions made for this Mod?

If so, where can I find them?

Thanks!

There is a campaign included in the latest release I linked to,

worth trying out!

Been enjoying the hell out of the mod. Love the fact that its from a different point of view! Unfortunately stuck on the AA boat mission. Followed the plan accordingly, killed the baddies, sunk the boat, but there is still a yellow marker there (as if to say sink me). Even ran a few hundred meters away to "escape". Nothing, no end, strange, can't continue on :(

Update Jan 3 2012: Still stuck. Only running CBA and VTE, no other mods.

Edited by Stang69

Finished!!

After a few months of on and off play, I finally finished! No other campaign has come as close to the feeling I got when I played the original OFP campaign than this one. While there were a few bugs and the islands weren't the prettiest, it was definitely immersive. The soundtrack definitely adds to the feel and the VC struck fear into me when I saw them.

I loved how the vegetation obscured my long distance vision. It made me slow down and walk, pausing every so often to listen for approaching enemy or to do a 360 to make sure no one was sneaking up on me. Gone were the days of finding the highest point in Takistan or Chernarus and sniping with a .50 cal. Now you have to actually get down and dirty with your enemy. No more run and gun, now it's about tactics and using what you have, no more unlimited weapon selection.

Granted, the missions were fairly simple and straightforward, but that added to the caution I felt. I thought, hmm, it can't be that simple can it? So I was cautious and it paid off. I ran into my share of patrols, fell down a few steep grades and realized just how difficult it must have been to fight in the dark without NVGs.

After years of postponing I have finally been able to play this piece.

I have to say few campaigns are as underrated as this one. The mission layouts are not burdened with overwhelming

complexity and freedom is encouraged (and navigation skills as well - got lost a couple of times because I couldn't read

a compass)

Night missions were extremely difficult even if there were enemies that didn't shoot back (saipan boats) simply due to the fact

that you couldn't see anything going on. But don't let this put you off as this is definitely one of the hidden classics.