Sign in to follow this  
ironhulk

ATI cards

yeah slim.. Not sure what other games have similar rendering, effects ect, so a new driver that had benefit for that game would help us? I try to use new drivers a month or so after the latest Bis patch...dreaming they talk to ATI....

And at the end:

Dunno where these old rumors are actually from.

I am very happy that i did change to ATI from Nvidea again.

Probably just subjective meanings and opinions, I cant see any problems resulted just due the card manufactor like ATI or Nvidea.

As always the reason is maybe almost 30 cm infront of the monitor.

Means remaining HW,driver, system state, other services running etc pp are imho responsible for grafic problems not the card itself (as far as it is powered enough for ArmA2 requirements in this case).

And at the end:

not at teh end...

nothing is solved! the damn ugly trees remain, and im quite convinced its an engine problem

the problem even exists on lingor with berghoffs vegetation. i played domination and after a short while... same problems as on takistan or chernarus...

Hmm..if it's the engine, then everyone should have the same problems. Or at least those with ATI cards. Or that particular model.

Let us exclude.

Is it a general ATI problem?

No, other users with ATI cards haven't these problems.

Is it a driver problem?

Might be, but then changine driver to older/newer version should solve the problem since...read above.

Is it a problem of that particular Graphic Card model?

I know at least one fellow that has the same GPU and he didn't reported any problems.

I wont say that ATI owners never have issues, it's just, you can't pinpoint the GPU as the cause for this issue.

I agree with mike. And this could as well be a HDD problem or that your PSU (Netzteil) is having surges when your card is on heavy load. High load = high power draw; your computer does not necessarily have to crash when the PSU is having surges, but your card might be underpowered for split seconds.

im sure this is a ATI card issue don,t see many people with nvidia with this problem

it was fine intill arrowhead was released then ugly textures and 5 meter lod.

Just got a 6950 and tho i aint tested arma 2 on it yet im hearing from 2 people that its having huge lod problems

well i think it has been proven to be the ati cards i have just borrowed a old nvidia 8800gtx and the graphics are sweet no crap textures and lod issues.

To add my 2 cents. I just upgraded from a 4890 which had very good performance in Arma 2. I was on 10.9 drivers and for the most part I had a really good smooth gaming experience. Only missions that had significant AI or missions in the cities of Chenarous (sp) caused issue. I just got a 6970 thinking it would slightly improve things (I am planning an overall upgrade when the new CPU's come out this year, but figured I could start my upgrade with the vid card since there really isn't much new expected this year). But I certainly didn't expect the dramatic decrease in performance and texture curruption I got. My FPS is in half and I get texture issues. The only change I made was the video card and to change drivers to 10.12. No changes to Arma or anything else. So.. What does that tell us? who the hell knows. Only thing I can think of is 10.12 drivers screwed things up. but 6970 isn't compatible with 10.9's. So I am stuck. I am in the process of RMA'ing the 6970. I am going to try a GTX 570 or 580. I am done fiddling after 2 weeks.

@Flatterman

good hint, but shouldnt be problem at my end. i have a nice 520W enermax :)

To add my 2 cents. I just upgraded from a 4890 which had very good performance in Arma 2. I was on 10.9 drivers and for the most part I had a really good smooth gaming experience. Only missions that had significant AI or missions in the cities of Chenarous (sp) caused issue. I just got a 6970 thinking it would slightly improve things (I am planning an overall upgrade when the new CPU's come out this year, but figured I could start my upgrade with the vid card since there really isn't much new expected this year). But I certainly didn't expect the dramatic decrease in performance and texture curruption I got. My FPS is in half and I get texture issues. The only change I made was the video card and to change drivers to 10.12. No changes to Arma or anything else. So.. What does that tell us? who the hell knows. Only thing I can think of is 10.12 drivers screwed things up. but 6970 isn't compatible with 10.9's. So I am stuck. I am in the process of RMA'ing the 6970. I am going to try a GTX 570 or 580. I am done fiddling after 2 weeks.
Im usng the 10.12 Catalyst with my old and trusty 4870...no difference to 10.9. Maybe its that ArmA II OA simply does not like new gen GPUs?

I've learned something in 15 Years of computzer gaming...never buy the newest hardware...the one that drops from high end to budget price overnight when the new gen appears is often the more solid choice....but since the performance increases nowadays are not as steep as in the last decade a hardware upgrade often wont bring that much improvement.

My Slogan: don't change a system that can already run your game.

Edited by Beagle

:mad: IM FED UP WITH IT!!! ARRRGH

another screen of the AMZING grafics:

look at the fps top right 42!!! more than enough... but low details everywhere, but everything is set to high

<a  href=a2oalowlods05low.th.jpg' alt='a2oalowlod

bigger version:http://img17.imageshack.us/i/a2oalowlods05.jpg/

Your games looks modded, maybe the trouble is in there!

as i already wrote im testing ALOT

and of course also without addons, it makes no difference!

the ugly trees r ALWAYS there on takistan, as soon as there is a few buidlings around the chance is very high i get that ugly grafics...

i hope this gets fixed soon... like so many other stuff... but we need new DLC, right?

as i already wrote im testing ALOT

and of course also without addons, it makes no difference!

the ugly trees r ALWAYS there on takistan, as soon as there is a few buidlings around the chance is very high i get that ugly grafics...

i hope this gets fixed soon... like so many other stuff... but we need new DLC, right?

Since the problem is very specific to just a few users and specific hardware it would be best to bring this to the bug tracker and dont hope to get this solved by a miracle in the forums.

My outdated System and outdated ATI card runs it still very fine.

Im usng the 10.12 Catalyst with my old and trusty 4870...no difference to 10.9. Maybe its that ArmA II OA simply does not like new gen GPUs?

I've learned something in 15 Years of computzer gaming...never buy the newest hardware...the one that drops from high end to budget price overnight when the new gen appears is often the more solid choice....but since the performance increases nowadays are not as steep as in the last decade a hardware upgrade often wont bring that much improvement.

My Slogan: don't change a system that can already run your game.

I'm running on a 3870 and I don't see the same issues as the OP. I run on Normal settings. You're right Beagle.

2x5850s in crossfire, 10.12 suite (CCC, display driver, crossfire profiles, etc). Had a few LOD problems with the 10.8-10.9 drivers but nothing to speak of since the 10.10e, either running single GPU or crossfire. Really does seem to be limited to a few cards.

Or maybe another piece of hardware is contributing? Video settings too high with less than ideal RAM (amount or speed), pagefile/HD read speed, etc? The reason I suggest this is even after newer drivers sorted out most of my LOD issues, there was a still a little more noticeable switching than I'd like. I created a 2.5GB RAMDisk (8GB total RAM), then set my pagefile to 1.5GB on the system disk and 2.5GB on the RAMDisk. All of a sudden nearly all LOD switching occurs instantly at the appropriate distance. Virtually no late pop-in. Something to at least consider before ditching the card.

Just got a 6950 and tho i aint tested arma 2 on it yet im hearing from 2 people that its having huge lod problems

can you keep people informed on how you're going with this card ?

i'm thinking of the same card

(and later on perhaps place a second in crossfire)

thanx in advance,

Jelle.

Flashed 6950's in crossfire

I've got 6950 in CF and flashed to 6970.. From my single 5870 with computer in sig apart from the GPU's obviously I got about 40-60fps no v-sync. Now i get 110-130 fps when v-sync is disabled. Never seen it go lower than high 80's

And I shall also point out that the 5870 fps was with AA, PP disabled and HDR to Normal.

The flashed 6950 CF setup is with AA on very high (yes I actually got very high as a choice, which i didn't with the 5870!) and HDR highest as well, not sure if that just goes to high or very high, but as high as it went. PP was off.

I've also tried it single card (flashed) with v-sync on and it keeps a smooth 60 fps as far as i can tell. But as we all know, number of units and view distance plays a big factor. The test carried out above was from a hilltop on the Takistan map. View distance 2500 on both tests. Further more I believe the CF configuration is bottlenecked by my PSU, since the CF test ended with a comp freeze.

So in conclusion, this is definitely worth it's money, and if you flash them and put two in CF mode, you can pretty much crank the graphics up as high as you'd like :)

I've got a 700w PSU, which was not enough. I'd suggest a 850w minimum if you want to flash and clock them to 6970 specs. There's also an option to give the cards some more volts, but i haven't been able to try that out yet for obvious reasons.

edit/ Just to clarify, I'm NOT running them in CF as I'm writing this because of a PSU bottleneck, but I DID manage to test it before my PSU finally decided to give in and freeze my system :) If I remember I'll come back when I get my new 1200w PSU ;)

Edited by Ish

I too was running into the LOD issues, as well as nasty stuttering; particularly in built up areas. This was with:

I7 920 @ 4GHz

6Gb (3 x 2Gb) DDR3 Corsair Dominator TwinX @ 1600

2 x Corsair F120 SSD (RAID0)

Asus HD 5970

Last night, I switched the 5970 for 2 x GTX580s, and, although I have not had the opportunity to spend more than a few minutes in game yet, my brief testing shows the issues to have gone. This was having seen a friends machine (very similar spec, other than his GPU which is a GTX295) running ArmA much more smoothly than my 5970 (with regards to the built-up area stuttering).

It wasn't only in ArmA that I was having issues. Some other games I play were also suffering, and now working as intended!

Having had a mixture of ATI & Nvidia GPUs over the years (both desk & laptop cards), whilst I don't think there's much to chose between them on the hardware side, I have had more software/driver issues with ATI. Of course, I'm sure some have had the opposite!

I know going from the HD 5970 to GTX580 SLI may not be considered a huge upgrade, certainly given the costs involved. I do have a huge feeling of relief that the games I play, now seem to play well!

Edited by Bucks85th

I know going from the HD 5970 to GTX580 SLI may not be considered a huge upgrade, certainly given the costs involved. I do have a huge feeling of relief that the games I play, now seem to play well!

It is, the 5970 is an awful card.

The difference is 'night and day' between them. One 580 will blitz the 5970 in a lot of tests.

Some AMD holdouts still claim that the 5970 is 'the fastest card on the planet' but the truth is that A. It is a CF card (2 GPUs) and B. It is probably the most problematic card AMD has released.

The 4870x2 was a great card but the 5970 was a step in the wrong direction.

Edited by BangTail

hey, i just wanted to say i managed to improve the overall performance and grafics of my arma, however im not sure how.

but still i have the lod switching trees, not so bad as before but still very noticeable. someone told me it might be my DDR-200 800Mhz RAM that is the bottleneck in my system. so i want to ask here: do i really get better results with, lets say DDR2-1066 RAM ?