Sign in to follow this  
EMSI

Campaign Ante Portas

http://anteportas.xf.cz/images/EMSI_AP_header.png (405 kB)

Ante Portas - Arma 2 SP campaign by EMSI

Introduction to the campaign can be found here (thematic web).

Basic info:

Required game/version: Arma 2 v1.08 (also Arma 2: Combined Operations is supported)

Required addons: NONE (only official)

Campaign name in the game menu: Ante Portas

Playing region: Utes and whole Chernarus

Main character: Ltn. Alan Beton, USMC

Others: Lukáš OveÄka, Karel Mařík, Jefim SargenoviÄ ... etc.

Features:

Complete dubbing with slovak/czech/english subtitles.

Switching between characters according to the current mission story.

Some situations in the missions can be finished by different ways.

Special thanks belong to (mainly for patience):

Martinius, Kuba, Sarge, Terablick, Faly, Hurby, Pochyst, Str

Download: (please, follow the installation instructions in the ReadMe)

EXE installer (34,2 MB)

GitHub mirror

ZIP archive (36,1 MB)

GitHub mirror

Armaholic mirror

Armedassault.info mirror

Arma2Base mirror

Have fun ...

EMSI © 2oo9-2o1o emsi_salute.gif

Edited by EMSI

this looks interesting and promising. i'm going to download it and give it a test run today.

Looks great, I'll try and give feedback. Thank you for making it. I especially appreciate that it doesn't require extra addons.

Hi Emsi.

I played the first mission for more than one hour and finally got into the Chedaki base surroundings. I really gave my best to keep low and stay undetected and had a lot of fun with it.

But suddenly I was detected and it appeared on the screen "Mission failed". I waited what would happen after this, only to experience that the mission restarted from the beginning and all my savegames were gone...

This is just such frustrating that I don't think I'll play this again for now - it took me a lot of time to get there and all was in vain.

To be honest, I can't believe it how mission makers still do this mistake in their missions... Well, I made it once too, but luckily it was in the beta testing phase, until testers told me not to finish or restart the whole mission when it fails, but rather make a infinite cutscene with one single camera angle (for example showing the player from above or something else) and then let appear a text which says the player to load the last savegame. But NEVER restart or finish the mission... :(

But otherwise your campaign is VERY well done and very immersive.

Please fix this mentioned "bug" so that other players don't experience similar frustrating moments. In this case I'll replay it too, but not now. :D Thanks, dude!

Regards

Edited by Undeceived

Thanks for this report.

I will fix it soon, but now you have still a lot of time to load any saved position when you see the "MISSION FAILED" message.

Yes, you're right. But nevertheless you can't rely on the player to load quickly enough. Players want to be "guided" by clever mission design and will often wait what the missions "does with them".

I was detected twice. On the first time I loaded right after seeing the "Mission failed", yes. But on the second time I just said to myself that I want to see what happens if I do nothing now.

Scripting command failMission should be used for this - it shows debriefing screen without deleting all the progress.

Well, this looks pretty damn good! I'll give it a shot and report back! :D

Sry man but this is just a bad joke...no fun at all, only frustating as hell :mad:

(gotta admit I played only the first mission so far, which really pissed me off (without any clue where to exactly look for the bad man and "mission failed" comin outta nowhere ages after I killed someone and I doubt it can be done without killing anybody around the base)).

To make it short: need walkthrough for this one :p

It's a stealth mission dude. And you don't know where exactly is your target (as people are walking usually).

Try to find some cover there and observe base.

I had fun till the point where you have to recon the airport! But i have to agree, players want to be guided, just in Arma which is a game with many possibilitys. Doesnt mean you have to give less choices, just give the player more help for a good flow of gameplay. 2 things:

1. Info when to open your parachute would be nice, had to repeat everything cause i opened to late and land in the water.

1. Mark the first Contactcamp on the Map, its just annoying to search for the camp.

Searching for the NAPA guys was very tenseful! So I'm against a marker here.

@Coffeecat:

Those minor fixes will be implemented. Thanks for your notes.

When opened the parachute? It's on you man. :)

In A2 was there on GUI one nice counter with altitude, but in A2:OA was disabled (I really don't know why), so the player have now only reference about the current altitude on the GPS which is accessible through the map together with current position. There you see also the landing zone, which is also the zone to find any NAPA contact.

Looks like I must add a lot of hints there.

Edited by EMSI

Campaign is good, but it is very annoying, it does not support save games, when I'll have Mission Failed, I have to do whole mission again. :-) Some small hints will be useful too in some parts, but it's very good campaign, many others campaigns is only a few missions without story or even sometimes without briefing and I enjoy this change in your campaign. :-)

P.S. I'm looking forward to CSLA 3, I hope you release it soon :-)

Agreed, the story (multiple choice etc.) and the overall execution of the campaign are really elaborate.

But this makes it even more inexcusable to put such a hard stealth mission at the beginning of a campaign;

it´s just a turn off and I could bet some won´t even bother to see the further missions...

or did you just do it to seperate the wheat from the chaff, if so: accomplished ;)

You know. Not all missions/campaigns are for all players.

Some people likes the stealth advance, some likes missions with choppers/planes and some people likes tanks or missions with troops only.

This campaign (and especially the first mission) is for people which likes stealth missions. You have unlimited variations how to find primary target on the base ... and then continue in the mission. The only one condition is to be stealthily. ;)

Jeeze you guys, I didn't have that much trouble with the airport part. I'm playing on Regular settings modified to Veteran's so that I have unlimited saves, and I have Super AI enabled. And hell, I actually went right into the base. Unintentionally, mind you, but it came in handy when I decided the UAV attack should still go forward. It didn't take much to find the target, and I used Shift-LMB on the map (gives the player his own personal waypoint) to get the missile target dead-on. Hit him on the third retry. Now I'm progressing through the rest of the mission. The only trouble I had was with a Spetsnaz squad who were good at gunning me down as I fled, but when I realized the mission doesn't fail after you kill the target, I just gunned them down and then legged it out of the airfield.

Cool campaign so far, EMSI, despite the broken English in some parts. But hey, you write English a hell of a lot better than I write Czech or Slovak. :D I look forward to seeing the rest of it.

Thanks also for your feedback.

Together with bug-fixes will be polished also english translation. :D

I got mission failed at the truck ambush. Strange place for an ambush haha.

I got mission failed at the truck ambush.

Same here. Every time, regardless of what I do, I get a "Mission Failed" on the ambush. I even blew the whole thing up with a satchel charge, I get a "Task Succeeded: Ambush Ural", and then "Mission Failed" overlay...

No idea what's wrong.

What I have seen so far looks very nice, the atmosphere is dense and it looks to be a very interesting campaign.

Yes, you have succeeded the task "Ambush Ural", but "Mission failed" due to the destroyed Ural.

NAPA commander (Lukas Ovecka) said in cut-scene about that - Ural must stay undamaged. This is also writen in "Ambush Ural" task description.

There is also possibility of Lukas's death - he must stay alive for further mission flow. These small bug-fixes as additional taskHints will be available in update (released soon).

Edited by EMSI

Yes, you have succeeded the task "Ambush Ural", but "Mission failed" due to the destroyed Ural.

NAPA commander (Lukas Ovecka) said in cut-scene about that - Ural must stay undamaged. This is also writen in "Ambush Ural" task description.

Ah, that explains why blowing up didn't work. It's a bit difficult following the conversations since I don't understand them, and it never occurred to me to look at the task description :o

There is also possibility of Lukas's death - he must stay alive for further mission flow. These small bug-fixes as additional taskHints will be available in update (released soon).

Hm, he died every time then because I always had the "Mission failed". How much damage can the Ural sustain? Will a bullet or two fail the mission too?

Ah, that explains why blowing up didn't work. It's a bit difficult following the conversations since I don't understand them, and it never occurred to me to look at the task description :o
There are english subtitles and task description is always visible through map - in the list of the tasks. ;)
Hm, he died every time then because I always had the "Mission failed". How much damage can the Ural sustain? Will a bullet or two fail the mission too?
The Ural must not be destroyed. So this means, it can be damaged (like empty wheels, broken windows etc.) but not to be destroyed completely.

I got mission failed at the truck ambush. Strange place for an ambush haha.

:D What the heck is strange at this place? What would you expect for an ambush position? It's a good position! The attacked don't have much place to go and there is perfect cover for the attackers to let the truck reach their center.