Sign in to follow this  
Hud Dorph

Hacking is getting worse

It absolutely does have to do with server admins. Just because you rent does not excuse you from securing your site to the best level you can. If the host site prevents you from doing that then they are guilty of aiding the hackers. Get your money back and find a better host.

So pls tell us/me a little on how to prevent this im sure im not the only with this problem. Ofc the sig-check is on and BE is up to date.

It's good that you know what BIS is working on and how long they need for it.

You also seem to have good knowledge what their priorities are.

Hats off, I envy you cause I don't have such a deep insight view.

And yes, it's always BIS' problem - always.

:rolleyes:

for all means take you hat off. but irony doesnt sute you.

ofp. arma arma2 /Oa. 3-4 games. same problem has been in all of them.

do the math. thats like 10 years now.

whats my deep inside view behind the scenes at bis? did i say anyfix date?

i never said that i knew when its going to be fix. i said i do not think it will be in this game. arma2/Oa

Despite you guys thinking your the warm, opening part of this community the fact remains that a large portion of this community is elitist.

I mean listen to yourselves, "we don't want any CoD kids, we ONLY want mature adults.... now as if that doesn't paint you and your servers with a big red target.

A bit of arrogance over here creates a little contempt over there...

So ? Is that justifying anything ?

Cause indeed that's their main argument over there, they are poor lil playesr who got kicked from x server for nothing so for the next 6 months they will do all they can to ruin as many times as possible that server. So basically they are just victims and the rest of the world is against them. tsssss

While I can understand "real" hackers, attacking official network or website, hacking a game server is such a cowardly thing. It's just like robbing a grand ma, it's attacking someone who can't fight back.

wtf went wrong in the childhood of these people for them to constantly need to piss off others ?

Rest assured I am aware of the issue and do what I can to counter it.

For obvious reasons I cannot post any details though.

Despite you guys thinking your the warm, opening part of this community the fact remains that a large portion of this community is elitist.

I mean listen to yourselves, "we don't want any CoD kids, we ONLY want mature adults.... now as if that doesn't paint you and your servers with a big red target.

That's why these "elitists" play coop games with clans on private servers and have a blast :rolleyes:

A win-win really.

Because I really don't know how hacking can make a public gaming where everyone runs around aimlessly and teamkills their mates any worse.

<2 cents>

semi-correct... there have been moments when it sure seemed like the 'elites' had a clamp of the community.. but that isn't really the point.

and it is the COD 'kids' grabbing 'tools' and using them for the wrong reasons on unprotected servers... again.. not the point.

the real point is that ... dll injection circumvents all known ways to protect a wide open system like arma.

though i have been reassured by others in the community that have a long history.. that this is just another thing.. this 'phase' of hackers wrecking 'protected' servers... well...

i think not...

$able Rest assured I am aware of the issue and do what I can to counter it.

i hope so.. really can't explain how frustrating it is to have 4-5 hours of hard tactical gaming wiped out in 2 minutes by someone who you kicked from the server...

just to have them come on back as admin and ban all players...

:pet6:

</ 2cents>

Edited by Loki

@76

It seems hypocritical in the context of your claim, that your signature has "Cause COOP is fa Children" in it.

@$able

Good to hear.

wtf went wrong in the childhood of these people for them to constantly need to piss off others ?

Yeh. Screwed up somewhere in the last couple of decades.

Unfortuately the internet lets people *think* they are hidden.

And I also vote that these limp dicks be classified as Cheaters not Hackers.

Hackers actually have skills. These guys are just internet bullies who hide.

Cheaters works for me. You do need skill to hack not just download something someone else made and then abuse because you don't know how to play for real.

I was called a "smacktard hacker" the other day and kicked off a server. Have no idea why. Thats what kills me, you have these lil arse hats running around doing stupid stuff in a game and it boils over into some sort of wierd paranoia on the part of admins.

C5 said you were being watched for a couple weeks and observed spawning armor and if I remember right teleporting vehicles also.

The map being played didn't have armor and you were killed inside armor.

Vilas community is right. We need to take it back from these idiots. I myself fall into the ex-military category. And you're certainly right about players like us being higher educated and actually comming from military like backgrounds. I myself am pursuing a degree in Industrial Design. Hopefully I will make the cut over at 'TF86'. I just downloaded all their add-ons. I need to finish it up but I work late nights, LOL. I work at Boeing building the 737-800 and the 777-800.

this game is told to be over 18 , over 17 in countries, so ?

if alcohol, driving license, gun license is over 18 and someone who is 14 play it - he break rule

so if game is > 16, >18 and you have 14 y.o. trouble makers than you see it normal ?

in Polish scene there were few trouble makers , and you know what ? they were 13 , 14, 15 y.o.

underaged to limit prescribed on box of game (which is 16 in PL)

if this game is > 16, >18 , than thats why i don't want 12 y.o. kids who ask me to "give spec-ops black vest, cause it will look bad-ass" or other person"give Polish army tank T80, give HK36 to regular troops cause AK is boring" and flaming, bashing etc. cause person is 14 or 13 y.o.

limit on box is saying >16, >17 >18 and that's all we want , if person is reasonable and sane (even if 12 y.o.) than not cheats

what for MP cheating ? what fun to win when cheating ? :( it is like playing music from playback

Edited by vilas

Playing music from playback doesn't harm anybody (tho there are exceptions lol). If public gameplay is destroyed for you by cheaters, open one instance with a password. Problem solved.

Funny usage of term 'elitists'.

So if we always drink coffee on Sunday with family members alone, we're elitist?

If we are going out with a group of friends, and don't invite strangers, we're elitist?

People every day decide with who they speak, or do other things with.

Why should it be different for with who you play a game?

If you like to play with strangers, you perhaps play public.

If you like to play with friends, you perhaps play private.

Interesting how it's all "Elitist", or "COD kid", or whatever, as long as one can hang a name on it and turn hate to it, right?

Everyone has different wishes / favorite gamestyles / play styles / things that give them fun; why would you sign up for disaster (play with all these people on the same server), if you can play with like-minded people on (private) servers?

But other than that, why would you run a public server when cheaters are ruining your game every other day?

IMO the choice to play with like-minded people and get the gameplay you desire has nothing to do with elitist.

If you like football, you don't go on the hockey-team, you go on the football-team.

It is sad how the enjoyment of others are disturbed by cheaters, or even completely mess up the running game.

Although the solution should come from the cheat protection in engine, I think it is generally a tough subject simply because of the game's open nature; I think generally you can't have both, and you need to strike a balance somewhere in the middle.

Still, BIS can hopefully improve the situation, perhaps the specific issues should be reported properly with repro/cheattools attached, perhaps directly to Dwarden.

Other than that, a good server setup, admin etc, goes a long way too. Yet still for public-play it's a hard nut I think.

Edited by Sickboy

Closing public servers because of the cheaters only makes them win. You might believe you've won too, as you don't have to deal with them anymore, but it locks your service out from the rest of the legitimate public which is exactly the cheaters' goal. It's best to fight them without giving up on everyone else.

Make sure the legitimate public have access to the server then?

By providing them the password etc, but it's a tough nut to crack...

It's always a balance between accessibility and 'protection'...

Edited by Sickboy

in past (2008) i had on PM few requests from few players (kids) wanted me to create addon of cheat-gun

they had zero coding skills, but wanted AK with 100x zoom, bullets powerfull as 120mm sabot and 1000 rounds in magazine

i had request for "invisible" soldier (soldier without any objects or textures in visible LODs) for MP "ghost killing" etc.

usual players don't need "ghost soldier" with "M107 full automatic 10000 rnd magazine recoiless"

I think it's perfectly correct to say that we don't wish for a certain kind of person. In fact, you'll probably find that most CoD players don't want CoD kids either :)

...wtf went wrong in the childhood of these people for them to constantly need to piss off others ?

Hi Macadam Cow

Psychology

Probably nothing it is just bad genetics or maybe their mum molested them as a baby and they miss it.

The psychology is the same as those who pull the wings off butterflies and torture the local cats. The police even think so and include the activity in the psyche profiles for serial killers, pedos, arsonists and rapists.

If you get your jollies off causing others grief then they obviously have the same psychology.

Crackers and script kiddies

On the main point, I have not seen many crackers or script kiddies on any of the well run servers, I veer toward the personal opinion that much of this is servers that are not correctly configured.

Solution Number 1.

As others have said use Battle Eye, GUID banning and signatures, kills off 99% of numpties. There are other solutions:

Solution Number 2.

Use a coms package and insist on people joining first in order to get the server pass word. You can include a license with this that they are required to agree, which makes any future criminal proceedings easier to bring. It is a lot harder to change your voice than hide your IP behind a proxy server.

Solution Number 3.

There is a long term solution that has always worked in the OFP/ArmA community; play on locked and private servers, that is why all the big clans are private, these numpties have never been able to get to the majority of the ArmA community because it is, and will remain, hidden from them. The majority of the community only see a cracker or script kiddie once in a blue moon.

Solution Number 4.

A lot of private servers use gigantic mod folders, requiring regular updates, specific to their community, this takes time to download and because a real IP has to be used to get any decent speed; unless they are paying through the nose for bandwidth on a proxy service, and it is a simple matter to IP BAN THEM, with either their own IP or if using Proxy you whois the IP any way, then when you see its a range and you just ban the whole range' You can also get a list of Proxy server IP ranges and ban them all before you even start, use Google to find the lists like this one:

http://www.iblocklist.com/lists.php

Plus, you are fining them 25 Dollars a month to use a proxy server! And They have to pay for each range they obtain without even a guarantee it will work!

Solution Number 5.

If you want to get really radical use addon tickets, include a license that requires them not to missuse the addon as this helps in any criminal case, basically you create a one time small addon with signature check. Each session you download the small addon change from a secure coms package such as skype, voice ID once again, you only give access to this out over your coms package because it requires a secure traceable login. And you can get Skype to chase after them for miss-using the comms package, just by reporting them!

Making it more trouble for the cracker/script kiddie than it is worth

The key factor with all those four solutions is: that you create such a convoluted path for them to follow each time they get caught, that it takes them hours or even days plus money to get in and each time it gets harder, until it is just not fun for them any more.

Solution Number 6. The Law.

If they are altering data on the server or stealing, altering, or obtaining passwords via fraud; then they have broken the Law. Report it to your server provider and the police. If you have proof that a forum is providing services to people to do such criminal activity then report them too, that is in fact a more serious crime as it is inherently conspiracy.

It is a crime pure and simple. Contact the police in your country, they have the resources to trace who is doing it, it is free! You do not need a lawyer to do it. You just report the crime.

At least one member of the ArmA community already did this and the police went after the criminal.

He just followed this link to the US Cyber crime website.

http://www.ic3.gov/

In the UK you can use this link.

http://www.ceop.police.uk/reportabuse/

In the Holland it would be this link

http://www.meldpuntcybercrime.nl/english_information.html

Interpol also has a link

http://www.interpol.int/

Google seach for "Cyber crime police" in your mother tongue to find your own countries Cyber crime reporting site.

Virtually every country in the world has laws that make unauthorised changing of data on someone elses server a crime! Just use this link to find your country to find the relevant law to quote to your police service.

http://www.cybercrimelaw.net/Cybercrimelaw.html

And to reiterate they are not hackers, at the most they are crackers and script kiddies as others point out. Maybe an admin can change the title of the thread.

Bored now walker

Edited by walker

As others have said use Battle Eye, GUID banning and signatures, kills off 99% of numpties.

2 weeks ago i would have agreed to the signatures, but the last week it have not been any help.

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

Thanks for your answer Walker, but like [HUD] Dorph said, it looks like they can bypass the GUID ban now, I can't find the specific post on their forum talking about that, I'll update my post if I find it.

EDIT : here it is :

Double Hack

Online Villain

User Rating: -14

I seek only to gain 'harmless' knowledge

View Profile

Re: A question about GUID bans

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 05:15:55 PM »

just in.. i managed to unban my self from a server i was guid banned he he he...

...spoofed an old enemies guid

icon_devil

now i just need to hide wpe pro...

Maybe he's full of shit, maybe not, I saw others say they could do it

Like I said I've discovered that forum (don't want to say the name, would be advertising ) but this whole forum is dedicated to cheats/hacks for several games (the ofp/arma series, BF series,...) and they are encouraging people to hack server (not litteraly but providing access to file allowing that kind of stuff is the same for me, as it is for the law I think), even sometimes specific server like the Tactical Gamers one, looks like they are really pissed off by TG ( and also HG but I don't know which team is behind those letters)

I have a few family members in the law enforcement world (at different levels) I'll talk to them about that forum but unfortunately I doubt we can do much about it. I guess that forum is hosted somewhere out of reach :(

just in case of retaliation (who knows...) if I suddenly start to insult everyone, posting crappy link and stuff like taht well, you'll know my account has been hacked (I guess it's possible). I'm not really a well known person on the BI forum but I can say I've never said anything offensive, never had any warning point (except for posting pics above 100Kb ^^), never had any problem with the mods.

Edited by Macadam Cow

Maybe he's full of shit, maybe not, I saw others say they could do it

Yes, they are full shit. No one ever provided any sort of proof, just empty claims.

Thanks for your answer Walker, but like [HUD] Dorph said, it looks like they can bypass the GUID ban now

Just to be clear i dont think or have any knowledge of anyone bypassing GUID, i just agreed to the signature-check previously kept most cheating kids away, but that seems not to be the case anymore.