Sign in to follow this  
abs

Star Trek Addons

The red colour of the planet's surface with the shocking contrast of the complimentary colours in the water and the electric blue of the sky is very much like startrek art direction, albeit less well coordinated. The only way you could make it more statrekish is if you had beige/pinkish pastel coloured sand at the low points with the red rock jutting out, some blue rock objects around, and a saturated orange coloured sky.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback and compliments, but credit does not go to me. Bushlurker made this Strange New World for us to explore, and you should be thanking him. :)

Abs

So? Should we be taking entrance exams to enlist into Star Fleet Academy?

It's looking really great. Keep up the great work. BTW, you mentioned that you've been on a "quest" to go from starting point to addon in game stance, will you be documenting your steps in further video tutorials or anything like that so that we can see what to do as up and coming addon makers?

Thanks

BTW, you mentioned that you've been on a "quest" to go from starting point to addon in game stance, will you be documenting your steps in further video tutorials or anything like that so that we can see what to do as up and coming addon makers?

Well, I started working on this a couple of hours ago, so maybe when it's done I can show you guys how I unwrap. It's not the best way, for sure, but it's the laziest method I've found, and I really don't care. ;)

typeiiij.jpg

Getting a rifle into the game should be pretty easy, so maybe I can make a video for that, as well.

Abs

If there was an observer during this mission you flyboys would be grounded for sure. Flying around over alien worlds with your conn and several vital instruments on your cockpit untextured violates a dozen of Starfleet safety protocols :P

No panic though, I received a subspace message yesterday that the boys at Utopia Planitia will get on that asap, they were just too busy recently.

;)

Thanks guys!

Re: PVP...We never got to see any Klingon or Romulan rifles in the series, AFAIK, so it may be a little hard to allow balanced gameplay. I'm still thinking of how to do that once I get past the first three addons released.

Topas: Tell the boys at UP: "Dammit, J! I'm a pilot, not a safety inspector." ;)

More screenshots coming soon, hopefully.

Abs

Hmm... Starfleet being the only faction to carry particle weapons? Does not sound good... Some weapons must be there, otherwise what's the alternative? To have Klingons running around with daggers? (as Bat'leths are obviously in violation with the established TOS canon)

There was indeed no Klingon rifles shown until Star Trek III: The search for Spock, but some pistol-like hand helds were featured in TOS for sure.

edit:

Klingon disruptor

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/toybox2004929-05_1096443984.jpg

A Romulan weapon that seems to be the same prop reused

http://www.ditl.org/gpns/GRomulanDisruptors1.jpg

Here's a clearer shots of replicas:

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

Ex Astris Scientia has some blueprints too:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/alien-weapons1.htm

Qapla! ;]

------------

Damn, I just found a post from August 2010... seems you already knew this all long time ago :P

Edited by topas
image links edited

The post was from October, but damn...I hadn't realized that this had been going on for so long. I guess I'd better release something soon before this mod goes the way of Duke Nukem Forever. ;)

Also, I wish a bat'leth was feasible, but I don't believe that they made an appearance until TNG. In addition, anims would be impossible. :p

Abs

The post was from October

Right, I just read the date the European way...

I wish a bat'leth was feasible, but I don't believe that they made an appearance until TNG

hmm... Bat'leths before TOS? Sword of Kahless! :cool:

Wasn't that 'written' into history by the later shows? I don't remember it being in TOS.

I could be wrong, though.

Abs

Wasn't that 'written' into history by the later shows? I don't remember it being in TOS.

I could be wrong, though.

Abs

There were indeed no Bat'leths in TOS. Not sure about the pre-TNG movies though.

Yes, this was probably only an attempt on the side of writers of DS9 to establish the Bat'leth as a traditional, ancient weapon...

As for the weapon's apperance - it was not before the TNG episode when the Vorcha class was introduced (can't remember the name, it was about the dying chancellor, Duras, succession and so on).

Edited by topas

I've finished off the model of the TypeIII Phaser Rifle. Now I have to unwrap and texture it. As it's a simple model, I'll make a quick video showing the process of unwrapping...probably won't have time this week for it though, but keep your eyes peeled.

393992_326477260705945_160451707308502_1073448_173061328_n.jpg

404406_326477407372597_160451707308502_1073449_66005188_n.jpg

Also, I've created a Facebook page for the mod. When Topas linked the old post that I had made so long ago I figured it would be nice to have a stable place to store all these images online, so I dug up the old renders and posted them there. All new updates will be on there too, so 'Like' us today!

Abs

awesome :D I'll give you a shout later this month about the units if you still need the job done, I think I can put something nice together using what you sent me.

Yet another nice piece of classic sci-fi coming to life.

It's a shame that it was never used during the series... Maybe it was, but honestly can't remember seeing it in use except for the Kirk / Mitchel fight in the 2nd pilot.

btw; since you're doing one weapon from this era, any chances for the handphasers from the same period? (the cage / where no man has gone before) It was a pity that the visual style of The Cage was abandoned in favor of the candylike, colourful crap of the TOS... The first pilot was in many regards (sets/props/overal attention to detail) much more better than the actual series... :(

Edited by topas

Thanks guys. :)

@Fox, I'll let you know. I need to make changes to that model, but as you know time is a limited resource, and I haven't gotten around to it yet. The changes should be minor, but necessary.

@Cam: Haha...Why do I imagine you saying it in a Zoolander-type voice? ;)

@Topas: That was the only episode that it was used. They later decided that it was against the ideals of Star Trek, and limited them to Type II phasers. ;) I've decided to add them as standard weaponry to the red-shirts just so they have a fighting chance. PS: I was half asleep when I checked this thread with my iPad earlier, but did you post an image with some crazy looking Type III variations? If so, can you send me that link again, please? Also, if you mean the hand lasers, then I'm sure I could work something out. Should be easy enough. ;)

I personally prefer the colourful route that they decided to take. Everything in that first pilot really was too bland, and I found Pike to be somewhat unlikable. I wonder if they had more money to spend on the first pilot. There is one thing to be said about that episode, however, and that is: I'll always be creeped out by a smiling Spock.

Abs

Edited by Abs

did you post an image with some crazy looking Type III variations?

I'm sure I didn't as type 3 is a TNG design and has nothing to do with the topic. On one of the pics with the klingon disruptor replica there is a type 2 and a strange modification of the TWOK phaser, maybe you meant that?

if you mean the hand lasers

Yes, that's what I meant ;)

Everything in that first pilot really was too bland,

I prefer to think of it as a more utilitarian look, monochrome, military color scheme, which made it look more serious and probably work-friendly (the distracting palette of all thinkable colours in TOS made the bridge look more like an amusement-park attraction rather than a workplace, it was overdone and lots of stuff was missing functionality and sense.. what's with those 'acces panels' below the consoles, backlit with vivid rainbow colours?).

Black finish, silver lining, fine wood accents here and there featured in the Cage are much more timeless and stylish.

For those here who do not know the difference:

production bridge

the Cage bridge

and I found Pike to be somewhat unlikable.

It was unfortunate circumstances we got to meet him in, that's all (he's already tired in one of the first scenes and admits it to his doctor, now instead of a leave after what seemed a difficult away mission [with crew casualties] he gets confined and served a brainwash from aliens eager to experiment...). If we had more time maybe he'd evolve in a more at-first-glance-likable character, like the new 2009 movie Pike.

In general I found the way he seemed a bit 'lost' on the bridge with female officers and yeomen present funny and making him a 'living' character. A nice contrast to sexist, alpha male Kirk.

I wonder if they had more money to spend on the first pilot.

$615751 spent on the Cage, no info on the 2nd pilot to be found..

There is one thing to be said about that episode, however, and that is: I'll always be creeped out by a smiling Spock.

:) He did smile on numerous occasions during the series

Edited by topas

Yes, that's what I meant ;)

For you: Done! :)

It was unfortunate circumstances we got to meet him in, that's all (he's already tired in one of the first scenes and admits it to his doctor, now instead of a leave after what seemed a difficult away mission [with crew casualties] he gets confined and served a brainwash from aliens eager to experiment...). If we had more time maybe he'd evolve in a more at-first-glance-likable character, like the new 2009 movie Pike.

In general I found the way he seemed a bit 'lost' on the bridge with female officers and yeomen present funny and making him a 'living' character. A nice contrast to sexist, alpha male Kirk.

Have you seen the TOS Writer's Guide? This gem talks about Kirk's playboy attitude, and how it is due to his love for his ship and crew that he can not maintain a normal relationship with anyone else.

You're right about the circumstances we see Pike in. I imagine if Pike were left on the show, he would end up being more like Admiral Odama in BSG...which isn't bad, but Star Trek was intended to be a cowboy show set in space. :)

:) He did smile on numerous occasions during the series

Most of the time he was under the influence of some alien/drug/mind-state. And none were as creepy as this one, though. ;)

Click me.

Abs

Ah, those away team (pardon, landing party) jackets...One of those neat things left out of the actual show... too bad... I was really glad to see them making a return for Enterprise.

Thanks for the retro phaser. Much appreciated. Now if Bushlurker would only do Talos IV ;)