Sign in to follow this  
maddogx

ARMA 2: OA beta build 76934

I've created a ticket (#16189) for the LOD issue, including a video that shows what happens. It ain't pretty. :)

Same problem with my ArmA2OA.cfg after i delete it and tried the beta patch.

3D_Performance=-4194304;

localVRAM=268435456;

nonlocalVRAM=0;

But i didn't have any LOD error like your movie MadDogX :/

It seems to only occur when you allow the beta to detect the 3D Performance and VRAM values (by deleting your Arma2OA.cfg file). Fortunately I always backup the file before deleting it, and found something interesting:

Values before deletion:

Values detected by the new beta:

If I manually reset the values to the ones before the beta, the problem is gone.

Exactly the same problem here!

I think the problem is caused by the new vram detection method, not from the new lod improvements.

LOD switching is very nice.

It seems postprocessing levels has been changed slightly. Now only "Normal" level blurs the screen and the gun in ironsight. Disabled & very low almost identical. Very low adds light diffusion, low adds motion blur, Normal adds still blur and ironsight blur as well as motion blur.

Exactly the same problem here!

I think the problem is caused by the new vram detection method, not from the new lod improvements.

Yeah. It's funny, because the new method was supposed to be more reliable. :D

It seems postprocessing levels has been changed slightly. Now only "Normal" level blurs the screen and the gun in ironsight. Disabled & very low almost identical. Very low adds light diffusion, low adds motion blur, Normal adds still blur and ironsight blur as well as motion blur.

Thanks for the heads up Cross! Now maybe I can start use at least Very Low PP, will check it out...

/KC

Just tried by deleting the cfg and letting OA build it again. There is definitely a problem there.

The performance value is now negative. Vram is half of what my card has ..ie 512MB vs 268k detected. Nonlocal vram is 0 as opposed to previous 2.2GB .

As a result the LOD level is extremely low even though all the settings are high/veryhigh ingame. So there is definitely an issue with detection.

So it is great if I keep my old cfg but when it builds a new one, it is not acceptable and should be fixed.

win7 64bit

nvidia 257.21

6gb ram

here are the two cfgs..

OLD one which works fine with the beta..

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=93750;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1080;

refresh=60;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1080;

FSAA=0;

postFX=0;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=519634944;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

Windowed=0;

vsync=1;

New one that I've let this beta build..

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=-4194304;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1080;

refresh=60;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1080;

FSAA=1;

postFX=1;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=268435456;

nonlocalVRAM=0;

vsync=1;

Windowed=0;

Edited by Cross

Weird... I almost didn't bother trying this because of the comments / video of LOD problems.

I have no LOD problem, don't seem to have the silly strobing HDR problem I've had forever with CrossFire and OA (game engine can't decide how bright the light should be, so I get 2 seconds of pure white-out vision), and this is the first beta in a couple of months that has significantly improved performance for me. I'm guessing the game's detecting my VRam correctly for the first time.

Significant settings:

HDR: very high

object detail: normal

terrain: normal

PP: low

VD: 5000

Tested with Takistan and Chernarus.

Specs below, plus ATI 4870x2, Von modded 10.12 Cat drivers, .CFG not write-protected.

Edited by Richey79

Noticed with this latest beta that the ARMA2OA.CFG had "NonLocalVram" set to "0" for me. Didnt see that first though and went in to test. Massive flickering of textures that went between lowest res textures up to max res textures. Also trees got white and flashing between normal and white.

Removed ARMA2OA.CFG and ran Official patch where NonLocal got proper amount again and all is beautiful.

Will test and see if this happens again. Never encountered it before.

EDIT: New videocard HD 6970. Once ARMA2OA.CFG set it properly to 2GB Vram, but now its set to 4GB Vram (Official patch). Not complaining though. Maxed out on 1980x1020 with no lag. Finally able to play this game as its supposed to be. :)

EDIT2: Saw your CFG now Cross. Exactlly what happened to me. I got twice the LocalVram when i did it (removed CFG - restart game) again with the Official patch.

Edited by Alex72

Yeah. It's funny, because the new method was supposed to be more reliable. :D

i'm sure Suma will look into that when he gets time ... :cool:

Confirmed multi-home as working on the following servers:

208.167.249.43:2302 =7Cav=Training 1.57 [ACE+A2+AO]

208.167.249.44:2302 =7Cav=Ranger 1.57 [ACE+A2+AO]

208.167.249.45:2302 =7Cav=Tactical Realism 1.57 [A2+AO]

I took just the arma2oaserver.exe and used it on a 1.57 steam based server. Big thanks to you all.

An amazing beta. Thank you! The annoying blinking grass is fixed for me. You can still see some LOD changing close, but its much better now.

Confirmed multi-home as working on the following servers:

208.167.249.43:2302 =7Cav=Training 1.57 [ACE+A2+AO]

208.167.249.44:2302 =7Cav=Ranger 1.57 [ACE+A2+AO]

208.167.249.45:2302 =7Cav=Tactical Realism 1.57 [A2+AO]

I took just the arma2oaserver.exe and used it on a 1.57 steam based server. Big thanks to you all.

glad You like it :cool:

and linux server in sync with this beta build is up

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=112027

When using multihomed parameter (-ip=) I get repeated...

Error: createPeer failed

...in the log file, are you able to tell me what this means? I was hoping the option to declare IP explicitly would help with a GameSpy reporting issue I'm experiencing (described HERE). Instead I get no listing (rather than a listing with 2500 ping) and the server cannot be reached at all.

When using multihomed parameter (-ip=) I get repeated...

Error: createPeer failed

...in the log file, are you able to tell me what this means? I was hoping the option to declare IP explicitly would help with a GameSpy reporting issue I'm experiencing (described HERE). Instead I get no listing (rather than a listing with 2500 ping) and the server cannot be reached at all.

hmm anyone else tried the linux server yet ?

atm. i can't give You clear answer what tht error means

btw. can You repeat this here ?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=112027

so we get more people on the linux server issue

hmm anyone else tried the linux server yet
Yep. Using -ip=... works just fine - the server runs, it shows up in the in-game game browser and you can connect to it and run missions.

(This was with a public IP address on a server connected directly to the net. In other words, the IP address wasn't "127.0.0.1" aka localhost nor a address like the ones used behind residential NAT devices (192.168.x.x and the likes))

Planes are crashing.

Like in Nadezhdino where I needed Harrier to drop a bomb on an IR marker which it didn't do, casually flying on a straight trajectory down into the trees instead like everything was fine.

Planes are crashing.

Like in Nadezhdino where I needed Harrier to drop a bomb on an IR marker which it didn't do, casually flying on a straight trajectory down into the trees instead like everything was fine.

anyone else can confirm this, sounds like new issue?

It isn't really a new issue. But it was present for at least few recent betas now (it was much better before that).

Here's a today's post in an 'ai thread' btw

Improvements to AI piloting fighter jets,they still dive bomb since OFP era.Pretty freaking weird to see them act like that and making bets if they manage to take enough altitude before the next tree or tall building.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=26337&page=74

EDIT: Here's the example "mission" I just made. Just throw an IR marker, do 0-0-1 and enjoy the show. Tested two times, this beta, no mods. Plane went for bombing from 2 different directions and crashed into a tree on 2 different hills.

http://www.mediafire.com/?eex384n2tud214q

Basically it dives like crazy for no reason and spends too much time diving that by the time the bomb is away the plane has no time to gain altitude.

Just tested a third time. Plane crashed again.

Edited by metalcraze

An amazing beta. Thank you! The annoying blinking grass is fixed for me. You can still see some LOD changing close, but its much better now.

The grass blinking is gone for me too. The grass elements still pop up out of nowhere amd change lod instantly when close to the player (was it ever better? honestly I don't know :) maybe I keep noticing it because I pay attention now.. :) ), but the blinking is gone.

It isn't really a new issue. But it was present for at least few recent betas now (it was much better before that).

Here's a today's post in an 'ai thread' btw

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=26337&page=74

EDIT: Here's the example "mission" I just made. Just throw an IR marker, do 0-0-1 and enjoy the show. Tested two times, this beta, no mods. Plane went for bombing from 2 different directions and crashed into a tree on 2 different hills.

http://www.mediafire.com/?eex384n2tud214q

Basically it dives like crazy for no reason and spends too much time diving that by the time the bomb is away the plane has no time to gain altitude.

Just tested a third time. Plane crashed again.

still it will be nice to make CIT ticket from it, that's why it exist

here is how

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=102991

Ok, I'm several weeks too late with this, but anyway: while it's always great to see new commands make it into the game, I'm particularly happy that getTerrainHeightASL finally made it! (no more set-posing a small "probe-object" all over the place only to get this information, yay!)

The last few patches were very decent too. Thank you very much and keep it up! :D

The grass blinking is gone for me too. The grass elements still pop up out of nowhere amd change lod instantly when close to the player (was it ever better? honestly I don't know :) maybe I keep noticing it because I pay attention now.. :) ), but the blinking is gone.

Yes the blinking is gone also for me.

The grass is still pop up, even the "grass radius" when you walk pop up realy abruptly.

the blinking grass was always there..its something with the first lod's..maybe simply removing 1 lod would solve the problem