Sign in to follow this  
slatts

OFP model causing game crash

hey guys, i got a model from ofp and tried to update it to arma2

i changed the configs around and got the mlod file from the author as i read that this is needed to do so

however, when i try to start it in the editor, the game complelety freezes up and crashes as seen in this vid

i tried taking out the texture files so they wouldnt load as i thought this may be the problem, but same result

i also tired arma1, i was a bit more lucky there, when i loaded it in the editor, it appeared a a very light blue texture with no visible doors etc, it was however, flyable

so im really at a dead end. any ideas guys?

EDIT: should have pointed out its the helicopter in the vid not the soldier :P

Edited by Slatts

the problem could be an old proxy reference (eg ah1gunner.p3d should be gunner for arma1/2)

hm pretty sure i replaced all those before, ill recheck and update

dont forget that proxys exist in geometry and firegeometry and shadows(wich maybe your problem if you added a shadow lod and the model in it is not triangulated ) and hitpoints lod

replaced all the proxys and she still crashes

the little file that comes with the binpbo when you pack it shows that theres errors with textures

"old style material flag used"

also errors with rtm files which i though i removed from use

could these be the cause?

i would post that file here, but its over 120k characters long, and the limit is 50k lol

"old style material flag used"

Shouldnt be the problem.

Is the Config the problem? or rtm file

heres the config

// some basic defines
#include "basicdefines.hpp"
#define TEast 0
#define TWest 1
#define TGuerrila 2
#define TCivilian 3
#define TSideUnknown 4
#define TEnemy 5
#define TFriendly 6
#define TLogic 7

#define true 1
#define false 0

// type scope
#define private 0
#define protected 1
#define public 2

class CfgPatches
{
class idp_A139
{
	units[] = {"idp_A139"};
	weapons[] = {};
	requiredVersion = 1.0;
	requiredAddons[] = {"CAWheeled2", "CACharacters2", "CAWeapons","CAWeapons"};
};
};

class CfgVehicles
{
class  Mi17_Civilian;
class idp_A139 : Mi17_Civilian
{
	scope=2;		
	side=TWest;
	displayName = "Agusta 139";
	nameSound="chopper";
	accuracy=15;

mainRotorSpeed = -1;

//minMainRotorDive = -7;
	//maxMainRotorDive = 5;
	//neutralMainRotorDive = -2;

picture =\idp_a139\ag_pic;
	icon =\idp_a139\ag_icn;

insideSoundCoef=0.02;

crew="SoldierWPilot";

enableSweep=false;
	hasGunner=0;
	gunnerOpticsModel = "optika_empty";

driverAction="Mi17_Pilot";
	gunnerAction ="ManActIDP_AgustaGunner";

transportSoldier=10;

maxSpeed=270;
	armor=70;
	cost=10000000;

type=VAir;
	threat[]={0.3, 1, 0.4};

model=\idp_a139\idp_agusta_mesh_MLOD;
	hiddenselections[] = {"rope"};
	destrType=DestructEngine;

extCameraPosition[]={0,4,-18};

minMainRotorDive = 0;
	maxMainRotorDive = 0;

weapons[]={};
	magazines[]={};	

class Reflectors
	{
		class Left
		{
			color[] = {0.9, 0.8, 0.8, 1.0};
			ambient[] = {0.1, 0.1, 0.1, 1.0};
			position = "L svetlo";direction = "konec L svetla";
			hitpoint = "L svetlo";selection = "L svetlo";
			size = 0.5;brightness = 0.4;
		};
		class Right
		{
			color[] = {0.9, 0.8, 0.8, 1.0};
			ambient[] = {0.1, 0.1, 0.1, 1.0};
			position = "P svetlo";direction = "konec P svetla";
			hitpoint = "P svetlo";selection = "P svetlo";
			size = 0.5;brightness = 0.4;
		};
	};

};
};
};

Unless someone comes up with a solution straight away we will need more info about the model .

If it was a cfg error i imagine it would flag as it loaded so a crash smells like a model error .

How many texture files

any materials (rvamt's)

what LOD's present (geo etc )

section count

face count ....spose if its an ofp model face count wont be too high

Run another check through everything .. names etc

i did spot in your cfg...

model=\idp_a139\idp_agusta_mesh_MLOD;

think it needs some "" ... ?

model = "\idp_a139\idp_agusta_mesh_MLOD";

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

dont forget that proxys exist in geometry and firegeometry and shadows(wich maybe your problem if you added a shadow lod and the model in it is not triangulated ) and hitpoints lod

@namman afaik you should only need to put proxies in the view LOD's and FireGeometry ( and these should only be crew or cargo type in the FireGeo) , not in shadow lods ...proxies have their own shadow lods , proxies also have no geometry lod so any proxy geometry has to be acounted for in the main model geo lod .

please correct me if i'm wrong coz it means im doing it the wrong way :D

crew="SoldierWPilot";

No such thing I believe.

Try

crew = "USMC_Soldier_Pilot";
	faction = "USMC";

hasGunner=0;
weapons[]={};
magazines[]={};

What?! But it has a gunner animation doesn't it?!

So which is it?

type=VAir;

No such type.

};

You have 1 too many at the end.

And if theres nothing left to fix and it still doesnt work, then your problem is probably here;

gunnerAction ="ManActIDP_AgustaGunner";

... afaik you should only need to put proxies in the view LOD's and FireGeometry ( and these should only be crew or cargo type in the FireGeo) , not in shadow lods ...proxies have their own shadow lods , proxies also have no geometry lod so any proxy geometry has to be acounted for in the main model geo lod .

Sorry Orson, I dont think thats correct.

You need to place the proxies in the Shadow LODs, otherwise the Shadow LOD of the proxy (soldier) is not shown / projected out of a vehicle.

You need to place the proxies in the VIEW LODs, otherwise you wont see crew, gunner or pilots sitting beside you.

You *may* need to place the proxies in the Geometry LOD, otherwise there is no collision detection of the proxy (soldier). This is probably only really an issue for open toped vehicles or static weapons where physical collision with crew is possible.

Edited by [APS]Gnat

ok redone the config, placed it empty in editor

looked at it

annnnnnd

nothing is there lol even if i try to get an AI to board it, it isnt there to select

however the crashing is gone

EDIT: cause i missed out on a " mark

crashing is back, must be the model now

EDIT 2:

you know, it is 76 sections hmmm could that be the answer?

Edited by Slatts

Gnat;1818011']

Sorry Orson' date=' I dont think thats correct.

You need to place the proxies in the Shadow LODs, otherwise the Shadow LOD of the proxy (soldier) is not shown / projected out of a vehicle.

You need to place the proxies in the VIEW LODs, otherwise you wont see crew, gunner or pilots sitting beside you.

You *may* need to place the proxies in the Geometry LOD, otherwise there is no collision detection of the proxy (soldier). This is probably only really an issue for open toped vehicles or static weapons where physical collision with crew is possible.[/quote']

Any proxy placed inherits from an actual model with all lods present , view, geo , hitpoints , shadow .

If you place a proxy in a view lod it will have all the attributes of the model it inherits from including animations .

The geometry LOD within a proxy is the only part i am not clear about , if it still inherits into the model its added too .

* Be easier with a screenshot but i am not home ,

My warrior model has its own shadow lod , any crew proxy has its own shadow lod as defined by the .rtm that puts them into a certain pose . Any proxies i add as detail to the main hull or turret have to use their own shadow lod too , and if the part sticks out substantialy i have to model it into the collision lod (geometry) of the main model . Soldier models have hitpoints allready and the game accepts that info in proxy form , any detail i added did not use hitpoints lod but they do have a fire geometry and that too works fine , bullet impact marks and all .

I dont think a proxy , as a single faced triangle would even be accpted by the shadow lod withought errors ?

The only lod's i have used proxies and this is the same as BIS examples are in the view lod's and fire geometry ...will be back later ..i will check through ... srry for ot btw

Edited by orson

and this is the same as BIS examples are in the view lod's and fire geometry

I doubled checked the BIS sample models, crew proxies are in all LODs I described.

Blink,

Try this;

- Start a new P3D

- Unhide All

- Copy-All from 1 LOD at a time from the old P3D and paste into a new LOD in the new model.

- Do this for Each LOD

Now start using the new P3D.

BTW, is it OK in the Buldozer preview?

If that doesn't work, try droping LODs from your P3D. ie select a LOD and rename it EDIT-XX. Drop the Shadow LODs first, try that, then the Fire LOD, etc

Gnat;1818331']

Blink' date='

Try this;

- Start a new P3D

- Unhide All

- Copy-All from 1 LOD at a time from the old P3D and paste into a new LOD in the new model.

- Do this for Each LOD

Now start using the new P3D.

BTW, is it OK in the Buldozer preview?

If that doesn't work, try droping LODs from your P3D. ie select a LOD and rename it EDIT-XX. Drop the Shadow LODs first, try that, then the Fire LOD, etc[/quote']

right ill get onto that tomorrow

by OK do you mean showing up? if so, then yea it is

gimme 12 hours and youll have your answer :)

@ Orson

proxys are dummies they are not modeled in the engine they are only references to other models so when you put the proxy in the shadow lod (say for the crew) the engine will copy the shadow lod form the crew p3d and put it in this model and if you put it in the hit points lod it will copy the crews hitpoints and put them in this model (else the crew wont get hurt )

Orson

Without using a proxy in the shadow lod you may still be getting an actual shadow off crew, but its like a low quality "texture" shadow, not the proper shadow LOD shadow.

I've seen that effect many times.

shadowk.th.jpg

this is my shadow LOD , no proxies .

shadowview.th.jpg

this is it in bulldozer, as you can see the crew shadow is displayed properly .:butbut:

ingameo.th.jpg

Yep Gnat you are 100% on the shadow LOD , if the crew proxy isnt present it draws the low res style shadow in game .

*edit ..i just added the crew to the shadow LOD and tested in game but the same low res shadow was being cast even with shadow set to very high ... go figure : / seems they dont really do anything when added to the shadow LOD ?

@namman i am still sure you dont need to put them in the hitpoints LOD for hit detection , just the fire geo ...but hey i could be wrong about that too

and @ blink ...sorry for the total threadjack :/

Edited by orson

ok tried the new p3d idea

only got the 0.00 lod and it still crashes

ok tried the new p3d idea

only got the 0.00 lod and it still crashes

Afair you need at least the view pilot lod (with view pilot memory points) otherwise the game will crash aswell. At least that happend to me in the past...

:eek: never seen this before!

Well, it didnt crash on me, but it was invisible (but had shadow) and flashed some random textures at me .... and the world around me started to flash and go weird!

..... must be a drug chopper huh?

Anyhow, first thing; All your proxies are wrong.

You can't point cargo and driver proxies to some weird CA/Temp/proxies/blahblahblah

Proxies are either just the word "cargo" or "driver" or "gunner"

Get rid of the "cessnaxxx" proxy too.

As for the "disappear" and texture weirdness, highly suspect you have some bad textures / or bad texture conversions.

Part of the reason is the weirdness of various angled views and the fact I can actually see the high/more distant LODs.

Suggest you need to make sure you have the latest/last version of TextView2 and open and resave all textures.

Suggest you save to TGA, then either map to your model as TGA, or resave as PAA and map. Avoid using the PAC format.

In O2, under "Tools" theres a "Mass texture and material rename" option.

Try that and report back.

Gnat;1823528']:eek: never seen this before!

Well' date=' it didnt crash on me, but it was invisible (but had shadow) and flashed some random textures at me .... and the world around me started to flash and go weird!

..... must be a drug chopper huh?

Anyhow, first thing; All your proxies are wrong.

You can't point cargo and driver proxies to some weird CA/Temp/proxies/blahblahblah

Proxies are either just the word "cargo" or "driver" or "gunner"

Get rid of the "cessnaxxx" proxy too.

[/quote']

strange..i took them from a blackhawk

ill re do that then

Gnat;1823528']As for the "disappear" and texture weirdness' date=' highly suspect you have some bad textures / or bad texture conversions.

Part of the reason is the weirdness of various angled views and the fact I can actually see the high/more distant LODs.

Suggest you need to make sure you have the latest/last version of TextView2 and open and resave all textures.

Suggest you save to TGA, then either map to your model as TGA, or resave as PAA and map. Avoid using the PAC format.

In O2, under "Tools" theres a "Mass texture and material rename" option.

Try that and report back.[/quote']

already though of that and resaved all .pac files as .paa

i may have missed one or two old .paa files

while making a soldier i did notice something

i forgot to define his classname in the model.cfg and that cause the game to crash

could the same happen to a helicopter?

I always place an emply vehicle in the editor to bypass those typical "crew" problems.

At least until the vehicle works ....

Gnat;1823916']I always place an emply vehicle in the editor to bypass those typical "crew" problems.

At least until the vehicle works ....

well yea thats what ive been doing :D