Sign in to follow this  
galzohar

Arma 2 bandwidth requirements

I know that you can join some servers without problems, but how many players in it? For a massive game, 50+ players will 4Mbps be enough? If not, what speed will be?

4Mbps should be enough, it's more the server that has to worry about connection speed

Yes, as a player the requirements are rather low and anyone with broadband should have more than enough upload/download to handle the game.

If we're already bumping this thread, now with PR pushing the best community servers to the max, I wonder if anyone is willing to provide any data regarding how much bandwidth those servers have available for Arma and how many players they managed to run smoothly.

My server uses around 3-4Mbit upload with 32players running doomi - i have 50/50Mbit avail but never seen it use more than 3-4Mbit avarage with 32players connected.

Edited by [HUD]Dorph

If I have a mission that my dedi server #monitor says is outputing 1500kbps, does each client need to be able to receive that too? does the 1500kbps out double if another client joins?

Edited by sgtfishmen

Sad reality, the output for the #monitor command in relation to bandwidth, doesn't match the numbers a client gets checking the player tab, or using external bandwidth traffic utilities.

To further confuscate things, I use DD-WRT firmware in my router, which has bandwidth traffic counter utility, for WAN, and LAN seperately. Configuring the dedicated server to 100Mbps LAN, my one LAN-client used 33Kbps to 64Kbps, running Warfare BE 2.070.

I'm on Comcast HSD, my upspeed is 2.2Mbps, but have seen the top end hit 3.5Mbps. So I configure the server for 3.5Mbps, and with the DD-WRT bandwidth utility, see internet-clients go from 33Kbps to 256Kbps.

Oddly enuff, this doesn't scale predictably, it does depend on which mission you run. Warfare BE is heavily scripted, typically bandwidth won't be your issue, having enuff cpu crunching power is. From time to time I run the CTI Mountain Warfare 16, and it seems to use up all the 3.5Mbps up, and since its not a script hell, not eat up all cpu.

Alot of trial and error... test, test... and test again...

...Syn...

Edited by VisceralSyn
Dang gumbed typos....

If I have a mission that my dedi server #monitor says is outputing 1500kbps, does each client need to be able to receive that too? does the 1500kbps out double if another client joins?

Your server output report is what it's currently sending to all clients in total. Divide the number on connected clients and you'll get the average input to each client (or client dl).

But as mention earlier in this tread, the amount of traffic is heavily depending on the mission. I run missions on 150 kbps (server output) with 10 players, and some output 8 mbps with 5-6 players.

No silly, that means the total output is 1500 kbps, distributed over the amount of clients connected.