Sign in to follow this  
[aps]gnat

Unrealistic and unusable airports

Its been happening for years (OFP, ArmA etc)..... some people think hangers and control towers sit on the edge of a concrete runway ..... and BIS is not excluded either.

Heres my suggested test.

If one or more example planes below (player and AI controlled) can't take-off, land and taxi along the alotted taxi-way without hitting something .... building, tree, bowser, fence etc ...... then its probably not overly realistic and potential limiting game-play options.

- B52

- Airbus A320

- IL-76

- C-130

- An-72

my 2c ;)

Gnat,

Do you have a template airfield that you use? With some guidelines on placement? I'm using sat pics to determine building placement on Manzariyeh Airfield, but found the airfields in other maps useful to use as an initial basis.

I have found that the airfields in general are much shorter than normal (by a whole km!) My runway is 3.8km in length, but I think the ones in game are around 2-2.5km.

Tup

I use the B52 a lot myself, and most airports do not accommodate it well.

I agree with Gnat. I wish structures would be a little further from the runway too.

I've checked fallujah against C130 and works... i admit i didn't tried with B52... doing some tests.

A pilot who is a member of my community said to me that airport runway should look wider to get closer to the real thing... so we agreed that the default size for airport runway should be enlarged (to reach a value between some 2/3 proportion and +50%) and I did as follows (and I will remember to post here about any further test):

AIRPORT RUNWAYS DEFAULT SIZE : 100

AIRPORT RUNWAYS ADJUSTED SIZE : 140

So, This is the actual size I am beginning to use in my own projects

Cheers

EDIT: I did this only for main runway but not for taxi ways

Edited by Robster

Well, B52 is able to land and take off from Fallujah. I'm happy for this.

By the way... this B52 is fantastic :) i've just bombed the rail station and the 2 euphrate bridges (without so much success for bridges)!!! well... the rail station is down, and also a big part of the palm forest near bridges.

Nice work!

i agree, with larger aircrafts YOU better pilot it to runway, AI isnt very intelligent when it comes to takeoff with the massive plane. i know because i had a ai try and takeoff in it and it got the plane stuck because the airfield is messed up because the hanger is at the end with runway to both sides of it and you pull out onto grass then have to turn onto the runway. as with all normal airfields you have the hangers next to the runway off to the side with no grass inbetween.

Lol, if you fly big planes in utes they clip with the control tower. Like the B52.

Chernarus's main airport has this issue too, you can't actually taxi the c130 around some of it without struggling, mostly by the control tower, if you use anything bigger then you will struggle on most of the taxiways there, so don't forget to make sure you can use taxiways and not just the runway!

sorry gnat, when we get our first island out it will be even worse.. swedish bases looks like that,

0.jpg

v%C3%A4gbas2.jpg

and from ingame..

bas1.jpg

i see your point just dont get angry when we release ours, its on purpose :p

LOL, no problem granQ .... I guess the swedish forces don't fly many B52's around those types of bases.

Plus, its not really an "airport" as such.

Lovely looking work!

Look forward to my AV8 being t-boned by a passing truck at a stop sign lol !

Then, what map currently has one of the most realistic airfields?

I'm currently working on Manzariyeh airfield, with the dimensions the same as in real life. So the runway is 3.2km long... just testing it out now. May post a video this week. Let me know if there's a particular aircraft you want tested.

Tup

I agree with this.

People should think more about placing buildings near runways and taxiways.

I think that the reason why BIS placed the buildings so close is that they never expected that people would use an airport very much (except for helos). How many people use big planes in a mission and when they use them,

they are most of the time already flying.

Like this?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1576479/Project%20Midgard/3.jpg :D

Not gonna change this one on favslev. Those superbig planes dont exist on local airports in Denmark, and very often in the capital airport.

In fact, the Airbus A380 couldnt land there on the test flight they where on, so it flew along it a few meters up. ^_^

I think this is what most mapmakers think of. It is very rare that big planes, bigger than c130 is being used.

Like this?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1576479/Project%20Midgard/3.jpg :D

Not gonna change this one on favslev. Those superbig planes dont exist on local airports in Denmark, and very often in the capital airport.

In fact, the Airbus A380 couldnt land there on the test flight they where on, so it flew along it a few meters up. ^_^

I think this is what most mapmakers think of. It is very rare that big planes, bigger than c130 is being used.

That's alot better with the buildings moved away.

What?! Even AI C130 cant use half the released terrains, include BIS's own ..... so your logic isn't sound I'd suggest.

If terrain makers make usable areas, then maybe missions will be made ... ;)

Thats part of the reason I made and released Sands.

(and yes, those hangers look larger than normal. They are at 150% size from memory)

Sands_4a.jpg

Sands_7a.jpg

Sands_Ba.jpg

Sands_Ca.jpg

Edited by [APS]Gnat

Gnat;1829802']What?! Even AI C130 cant use half the released terrains' date=' include BIS's own .....
I don't see that C-130 can't not use any of the runways. C-130 works good on Chernarus, Utes, Takistan and Zargabad...what BIS map are you talking about or do you just wish to bash BIS in this thread? BTW. there are thousands of airports in the world that are for General aviation or militarx only...these strips were simply not build to be used with anything bigger than a Twin Otter or DC-3...and some are even from tzhe 50's.
Edited by Beagle

I don't see that C-130 can't not use any of the runways. C-130 works good on Chernarus, Utes, Takistan and Zargabad...what BIS map are you talking about or do you just wish to bash BIS in this thread?

LOL ... bash BIS? You have no clue who your quoting obviously.

And the airport that doesnt work .... is one you mentioned. Do your research.

Main airport on Chernarus: C130 can not use the taxiways.

... there are thousands of airports in the world that are for General aviation or militarx only...these strips were simply not build to be used with anything bigger than a Twin Otter or DC-3...and some are even from tzhe 50's.

......... but we're not talking real world are we, we're talking ArmA2 terrains and ArmA2 vehicles.

I thought I would pass on a hint of news....

An island I am working on has a 3054 metre (10020 ft) runway !

C130 landing barely goes down it, and your B52 looks great rolling along its length

It's certainly a good thing to bring up, in case anyone really wants to make a purpose built air base!

But in reality there aren't even very many runways in the world (in relation to total runways, etc.) that have room for something the size of a B-52. I spent a summer as a civilian living on a US air base that was home to B-52s and even there they would routinely take off with a partial load of fuel and immediately top off in flight to reduce take off weight... and take off distance.

A mid-sized civilian airport I worked near (and twice, on) would be the target of military "touch and goes", where the pilot puts the rubber to the runway but then lifts off again instead of actually landing, as practice. Everything from C-130s and big bombers (never a B-52 that I saw) to what I am sure must have been a mock up for Air Force One. One of the reasons this is done is because in an emergency or national crisis large military aircraft may have to land on and negotiate civilian air facilities that are too small for the plane to take back off from! Fact.

So while I see the importance of having airbases large enough to properly facilitate craft such as the B-52 I wouldn't want mappers to feel guilted or compelled into making *every* airport that sort of scale.

Due to the size of the current island, we don't need bigger airbases. And quite frankly I didn't play many coop where B52s played a major role. For SP purposes you can start in air ;)

I'll try to extend runways in future project updates and try to move hangars further from the taxiways to ensure large winged airplanes are able to taxi.

After this initial post, I have reworked the Vostok airfield , in order to accommodate IL-76,build longer runway, moved control tower and some buildings aside and also cut some trees along taxiways.

But even if a B-52 can land on Vostok - it's quite improbable event to have such US plane on a Soviet base ^^- it will need much skill from the pilot to move it on ground without help.

But on smaller Zadrovie air base, on the same Vostok map, the island is too small to host a large airport, so even after I have applied some of the previous said modifications, it's near impossible to service too large aircraft even if an IL-76 can land on emergency ...

I will say that you are right telling us that we must think about large aircraft while building some of our maps, I will add that sometimes it did not fit in the project concept ... and that sometimes I am dreaming of some seaplanes or amphibious planes ...