Sign in to follow this  
-=2RTR=- Somnus

Military Adviser (Iraq, Afghanistan), Looking for POC in BI Studios

Good day,

I was wondering. I spent the better part of a decade in the British Army and was in the Infantry (1RRF), Royal Armoured Corps (2RTR) and finished my time in Recce. I am now a Freelance in Southern Afghanistan, and it's cold out here.

My reason for all this experience has always been to bring something brilliant to the gaming industry. I played Comanche for DOS back in the day and knew I wanted to help this growing brilliance in entertainment that was going to bring the simulation of war to everyone's PC's. Instead of their front doorsteps.

I have all my credentials and qualifications on digital copies. As I know this has to sound rather silly, that someone would risk their life over all these years just to be able to allow your average person to "play" soldier. Trust me I've asked myself many times "why"? But at the end of the day it is also something that has always been a part of me and I am really good at it. Civdiv (Civilian Division, Army joke) is a very strange place to me. Always has been.

Anyway, intrinsically what I am looking for is a POC (point of contact) in BIS that I could send my CV to and also maybe find out if I can help in anyway, from training the staff on weapon drills, to motion capture acting, I've also taught myself 3d max, Photoshop and some Blender. failing that I have a game script with some ideas that have not yet been seen that I have been working on for the last ten years. Every time I was on Ranges in Germany (Hohne) with the Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank or freezing my... Man parts off in BATUS (British Army Training Unit Suffield) I was taking notes on how to improve sims and FPS to get that gritty realism that everyone in their warm homes wants without the sore joints and icecube fingers... In reflection I think you lot are a hell of a lot smarter then I.

So. If any Developers read this site, please drop me a PM and I can forward you my professional CV. Oh and just a heads up... The people who have really seen war, at least the ones I have fought with will come across as the nicest people you have ever met. Why? Because we know our limits and have beaten them many times. The ones that pretend to be hard as nails... Were in the rear counting sheets. After my experiences you learn what a joke life is. Don't get me wrong, I am an angry man like any good Veteran is, but that's why I want to move on to the gaming industry. It's the perfect place for me, now.

*Further to my last. I tried to keep this email interesting and not all "ARMY", as I know that can offend people sometimes, most of the time. Cheers and all the best... I should get a pic of me and the dust bowl that is Afghan with ArmA 2 on the laptop in the background... Be a good one...*

Edited by sabelzahntiger

Yeah... Got your PM... thanks so much for such a quick reply. Fired off my CV, last night...

Also thanks for the good wishes... It would be a great present for the holidays as this is my second year on the trot away from home for Christmas...

Cheers mate...

Pretty quiet these days... But, that might just be a lure for another summer offensive...

You an ex-Royal mate? My little brother is almost through phase two with them Navy lot... Hehehee... Legends!