Sign in to follow this  
thewalrusking

What is the state of the game now?

crysis runs smooth as hell for me and so do all other hardware demanding games i have. the "you're doing something wrong" argument is such a lazy attempt at understanding the issue, it's ridiculous. again, i urge you to read the entire thing and realize that even the developers have confirmed the hardware that can truly run this game doesn't exist yet.

btw, most people's notion of "running fine" is rather skewed. and i don't trust their standards.

(In a non-confrontational manner ;)) I think it's you who doesn't understand the situation: saying Crysis runs well on your PC is only saying that you have a PC that can render graphics well. Crysis is a "player-centric" game, where everything that happens only happens around the player. ArmA2 is a non player-centric game, where everything that happens on the entire map happens whether you're there to see it or not.

Example: you could be 10km away from two opposing groups on the other side of the map, but those groups will proceed to engage each other using AI tactics and procedures with all the fidelity as though you were there to see it. Now, some might say what's the point in simulating something that the player might/will not ever see, but that's the difference, ArmA2 has gameplay fidelity in this area. It's one thing that people either get or don't get, and appreciate or don't appreciate. The outcome of that distant battle might well influence some future activity of yours, or it might not.

ArmA "runs fine" on my PC, but I have a i950 and 12gb RAM. However, it also ran *reasonably* well on my old Athlon 4800+ dual core with 2gb RAM. The thing with ArmA2 is not to concentrate on pure FPS, but to concentrate on the gameplay, what's actually happening. If you get good enough FPS, then it's good enough.

Edited by DMarkwick

Zipper you're the only one here who bothers to even acknowledge anything he posts and it's an ultimately futile past-time. Anyone who cares to can look through his post history for themselves and will see what he is.

Not many people check others' post histories. ;)

a lot of people making false assumptions here. the game doesn't run well on current generation hardware, period. i have an i7 920. that's quad core.

they even say in order to run it truly well you have to wait for the hardware to come out. please read the entire post and don't focus on one or two sentences. thank you.

Works very well on my i7920. But i must have low standards :cool:

ArmA2 CO runs fine on my i7-920 too and I don't even overclock it to 3.6 GHz (default or let's say 2.8 GHz) is fine.

If the game gives you a hard time it's probably your graphics card or your hard drive, your memory (but hey, I used to play it fine on medium settings with a 8800 GTS 512MB and 3 GB on a 32bit OS in the past).

Now I play it on High to Very High settings (except for AA: Normal - don't bother to go higher on AA).

hey i noticed steam is having a sale on arma2 today, its quite a deal... i played the demo a while back and the bugs and inconsistencies ruined it for me.

i'm pretty sure most of the bugs have been ironed out but theres one graphical problem that bothered me the most.

will grass & vegetation display on distant areas?

i.e: i played against my friend during the demo, i had a beefier computer than him and distant vegetation was no problem, i had it turned up and when he proned it was hard to distinguish his location

now my friend had turned down the vegetation and all distant hills/land were bare, no matter where i was... i stood out like a sore thumb, making prone cover useless.

this ruined the experience for me since, to get an edge i would have to turn down my graphics to the lowest common denominator... can servers lock this feature to full vegetation? is vegetation forced through any patches? i need to know this before i purchase... thank you

They actually fixed that a while ago. There is now a "grass layer". If you are in a grassy area and lay down, anything under the grass level is obscured, regardless of distance.

Larger vegetation like bushes and trees, and other objects like rocks, are always there, regardless of distance.

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

I put the game down for a good while due to AI and other issues that ruined the experience for me. Like the AI losing their minds after entering combat mode. After the latest rounds of patching, I can't put the game down!

State of the game? I do believe it's currently at the level of kick-ass.

Its way better than it was at launch.

But it still messing content/ lacking polish in certain areas

reloading animations (or at least realistic reload times), weapon assembly, AI driving, clipping issues.

Its Perfectly fine though at the moment its playable you just need some good hardware if you want to enjoy the graphics side.

a lot of people making false assumptions here. the game doesn't run well on current generation hardware, period. i have an i7 920. that's quad core.

Works perfectly fine here on my lowly system (Phenon II X4, Radeon HD4850). I use pretty high settings except AA, and usually play with a visibility range of 6000 on Takistan. I had a lot of micro-stutter when the OA was released, but none of that remains.