Sign in to follow this  
RunQWist

Custom Loading Screen?

Hello

I know there are a couple of threads about this subject, but so far no working answer for me. The problem is that I want to use a custom mission loading screen in .JPEG-format (meaning that i dont want to replace default screens, only to use own pictures when loading an own mission). I suppose this is possible? I am asking for step by step instructions how to do it or maybe send a downloadable demomission that just shows how to do it. I have been able to show my own pictures during a mission, but not when loading one.

If you just want to show your own picture on load you can use the following in your Description.ext file

loadScreen = "pics\yourpicturefilename.paa";

you can convert your JPG to .paa there is free stuff out there ill find a line and post it

You can also use JPEG files which I recommend as PAA can be a bit large and make your missions big to download.

Same as Psvialli said it

In Description.EXT

loadScreen = "img\runQIntro.jpg";

In mission\img

runQIntro.jpg

Your images have to be 512x512 / 1024x1024 etc, my one I used was 2048x1024 which worked fine, I think they have to be 1:2 or 1:1.

Thanks for the help rexehuk, but it did not work, tried it with all those resolutions...could it be dependable of the game resolution that i use? propably not. So weird that this does not work with me, it seems so simple to do. I remember that i tried also with .paa files, but it did not work and I really wish that I could use .jpg format...Any other ideas?

Thank you for the help, although it did not help me :mad:. Your example mission worked fine and there was the loading screen. But when I tried to replace it with my own picture, it did not work, saved it as .paa..

This is really bugging me, I have double checked that everything is exactly the same as you all said here but it just does not work.

Thank you for the help, although it did not help me :mad:. Your example mission worked fine and there was the loading screen. But when I tried to replace it with my own picture, it did not work, saved it as .paa..

This is really bugging me, I have double checked that everything is exactly the same as you all said here but it just does not work.

You saved your mission, after you made the changes, before you previewed it, correct?

Do you have the same name on the picture as in the description.ext

Yes I did make sure that the names and paths are correct and saved the mission in the editor. I even restarted the game after this with no effect. The demomission you sent worked fine, which is weird and annoying . Could it be a patch-related problem? The missions i tried to use the picture into are made in vanilla Arma2.

You are testing in the MP editor right....? As you might not get custom loading screens in single player one (don't think I do).

There is only one editor, and the pictures works in singelplayer and if you preview the mission in the editor.

You must be doing something wrong.

Yes I was using the multiplayer editor. I also tried that my description.ext did not have any other text than just the loadScreen = "pics\moshpit.paa"; but it did not have any effect..

I know that many times it is some simple mistake with the code or something but I have checked checked and checked but everything should be correct.

Do you have a folder in your mission that is called pics?

If I remeber correctly you might need the breifing.html file in the mission folder, not sure, try copy the one from the mission that you downloaded and see if it works.

Yes i have a folder called pics and the briefing.html..Il try one more time with a same sized .paa -file as in the demo mission->

edit: It did not work..

Edited by RunQWist

upload your .paa if want someone to take a look at that, it has to be that... maybe not 256x256 (the word I'm looking for is squared?)

your not saving your description.ext as description.ext.txt are you?

just throwing suggestions out, good luck...

Can you use the picture you made in Mosh mission?

If not, the picture is the problem.

Okay, the .paa-files work with the resolution 128*128 WHEN I launch Combined Operations. Its a poor quality though of course, tried a bigger one and the game crashed. Havent tried jpeg:s yet.

Problem is that not even this seems to work when I launch vanilla Arma2. The reason why I want to use that, because when I edit missions, I usually play them with a friend who only has the vanilla Arma2 so that there wont be any addon or other complications cause I have saved the missions with the same version my friend has. And plus, the vanilla Arma2 runs 100 times more smoothly compared to launcing Compined Operations even with the same settings..

The way that I have used for a long time and works perfectly:

Take your image (preferably in .png format) and in a resolution of 2^x / 2^y, I use 1024x1024 for loadscreen images. To convert into .paa format the easiest tool is TexView 2.

A full manual for TexView 2 can be found here.

Place the .paa file in your location (I use the root folder and call it loadscreen.paa).

In your description.ext at the very first lines I use:

/* Adds screen when loading. */
loadScreen = "loadscreen.paa";

That should work.

Thank you BearBison, that worked BUT NOT when i start the game using vanilla Arma2 shortcut (it works when i launch the game using Combined Operations shortcut). Problem is i would not want to play the missions i made for Chernarussia using Combined Operations shortcut, because it is mysteriously does not run that well, eventhough it was advertised to work better than the basic Arma2..I have the latest patches for both, does anyone know why this does not work for both versions?

Description.ext will be found when you unpbo a mission, if you have a mp missions guarentee there will be a description.ext in it.

If your building an mp mission then you will need to create a description.ext, which tells the mission what to load and how long you before you respawn.

you will need a tool like this to unpbo a pbo:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1434

Having a custom image was a nice little bit to know.

Tnx to all posters.