Sign in to follow this  
cheesus

[CAMP] Bastard Squad

The insurgents had good tactical positioning inside the building, but thankfully, I think their AI failed them in the end.

I very strongly disagree. In a realistic situation, you'd at least carry flashbangs to help with entry and confuse the opposition. In this mission, you have nothing other than your rifle. (Which gets replaced with a silenced weapon when you pick up a better rifle when you reach the meeting point.) The insurgents were pretty badly placed - in real life they'd have shot each other since they were facing each other on the first floor.

Also, try and wander into the red areas of the map - you get killed instantly.

As the creator said, the missions are HARD! If you fail, try something different.

I don't see how trying something different works. I tried getting out of the TOW in the Tour de Force mission because - like you - I kept getting killed. It's not possible - you cannot get out. The military base has no alternative weapons - have you seen a military base where no soldiers have any kind of weapons? No ammo crates? Etc.

Everything is set up with the precise knowledge of the player's movements, direction, etc. As I said, CoD to the extreme.

I played plenty of hard-as-hell missions in Arma and I enjoyed them a lot.

I'm stuck at Tour De Force ... no matter what I do at the TOW launcher, I end up getting killed. ... Any hints?

This is what made me gave up at the end. After an hour of frustration I decided that I don't need this.

I very strongly disagree. In a realistic situation, you'd at least carry flashbangs to help with entry and confuse the opposition.

You have a 40mm grenade launcher (or at least I did), but not appropriate at close quarters. I tried blasting the second story with 40 mm HE rounds. In a realistic situation, you have what you have, and almost inevitably, just when you think you have the perfect instrument, Murphy's Law says otherwise. You use the TOW because those are your orders.

Edited by MissionCreep

While nursing my hangover I have made the time to do a little update, hope I've nailed CBA complaining about its nil variable being abused in unholy ways.

Also for you Combined ops peoples you should be good to go with Blastcore. Even though I have to run Arrowhead fugly to get playable framerates on my rig, its something to behold. Opticalsnare's work makes me want to upgrade sooner. In a good way :)

MissionCreep & xxbbcc have had issues and an awesome argument about mission design!

Mission 2 - Those Chenarussian farmers at the party are tough as nails. The fat guy with the shotgun just floats in the air when I light him up on full automatic. He only dies when he walks right up to me letting me spray him down liberally. Another one of those farm boys (nickname "Tank" or "Hank the Tank" ?) took 3 hits from a RPG-7 before succumbing.

Mission 4 - The men in suits don't die when you shoot them. They just go catatonic standing up.

Well that shouldn't have happened :o I don't think I altered those farmers damage handling enough for that to happen & I'd like to know more of what happened with your undead MiB's...need more to go on.

I'm stuck at Tour De Force ... no matter what I do at the TOW launcher, I end up getting killed. I've reached the point where I run out of targets (destroying the T72, BRDM and assorted thin-skinned vehicles), but still get taken out by what seems to be small arms fire. Any hints?

Hmmm, its not small arms fire you have to worry about here (or heavy weapons for that matter). Think of this section as wack-a-mole, the trick is not to let anything get 'under' your firing arc. If a unit gets too close its curtains. Your team is supposed to take care of any bailed out crew that get close & always have for me during testing - but if they don't do their job its possible that could be whats been giving you & xxbbcc grief here - you can't take on infantry with the tow. That said I hardly ever die while testing this mission so again I'm wondering if its mods or something thats throwing the mission off for you peoples.

Wolfrug deserves a medal or something for what he went through on this level, so your not alone in your frustration. :)

Edited by cheesus

Cheesus: I also had the undying MiB - I threw a bunch of grenades at them from a distance (from behind cover as I was approaching the first hangar. Once I got there, there was a line of 5 or 6 MiB, all dead but all standing. The others inside the hangars died as expected when shot.

As for my dislike of the campaign: as I said, I don't like it's CoD-ness and I hope you'll use your skills to make a "proper" Arma campaign - I'd be looking forward to playing it. I'm glad others like it, though.

Edited by xxbbcc

Cheesus: I also had the undying MiB - I threw a bunch of grenades at them from a distance (from behind cover as I was approaching the first hangar. Once I got there, there was a line of 5 or 6 MiB, all dead but all standing. The others inside the hangars died as expected when shot.

As for my dislike of the campaign: as I said, I don't like it's CoD-ness and I hope you'll use your skills to make a "proper" Arma campaign - I'd be looking forward to playing it. I'm glad others like it, though.

I saw the row of dead MiBs standing, in pergect single file, between the 2 hangars (behind the 45 gallon drums). The MiBs in the hangar with the tank in it (there were about 4 of them) were still standing after taking a large amount of fire - it took some time for me to determine whether or not they were dead.

The guy at the back of the hangar on the AGS grenade launcher spun around, facing the back, standing up, suspended in mid air after being hit repeatedly. Only one MIB died as expected ... one (or was it two?) who popped out of the Tunguska tracked AA - killed with a recoiless round.

I am running the latest patches (1.57/1.08), and the only mods I run are the Proper Projects vegetation and building mods. I will run vanilla CO and see if the weird stuff goes away (I am using BS CO) ... I keep mods to a minimum per campaign/mission by using a series of desktop shortcuts, each containing only required mods.

Edited by MissionCreep

MissionCreep:

Thanks for the details I think I know what happened, seems like you got past the trigger that wakes those dudes up :)

xxbbcc:

I threw a bunch of grenades at them from a distance

Yup that would do it - Your supposed to be looking for Russians not playing dodge ball with grenades! Also I'm kind of happy with your reaction to my shameless railroading of the player, I almost felt dirty putting in no-go areas into an Arma mission :D

Thanks for the infos you two - it will help when I find the time for a bigger update.

man, tried playing this campaign with ace. Couldnt get past the first mission. The technical and all the locals surrounding one guy is just not possible. couldnt even creep by them, its like they instantly know where you are once u get within a certain distance.

If i can get past this, i hope its more squad related then one man army, as thats never worked for me.

but i liked the prologue, that was a nice touch, and the music from the apc was LOL

For chapter Chapter 3, I'm now running Vanilla CO 1.57, and still can't get the victory Cheesus won on the TOW (any U2 fans out there?). I've eliminated all vehicles, everything on the hillside is flaming, tabbing the TOW viewfinder does not find any more targets (except briefly, strangely enough, a UAZ that is basically a fireball). Then I die.

Am I mistaken or has Captain Rendition's driving become even more spastic with the latest update? On the way to the base on the restart of Chapter 3 (my save from the previous version hung on re-load), after I annihilated the Chedaki base, he got the BMP APC hung up on a stone wall and was spining his wheels ad infinitum. I had to restart the chapter.

Anyway, admirable work, Cheesus, but I'm having a few difficulties. Don't let it put you off!

For chapter Chapter 3, I'm now running Vanilla CO 1.57, and still can't get the victory Cheesus won on the TOW (any U2 fans out there?). I've eliminated all vehicles, everything on the hillside is flaming, tabbing the TOW viewfinder does not find any more targets (except briefly, strangely enough, a UAZ that is basically a fireball). Then I die.

Don't know what to tell you here dude, if you take out the oncomming vehicles there shouldn't be any way you can die. Could it be a bug? I dunno but are you SURE you got them all? Its a timed thing - if you survive long enough a cutscene should kick in.

Am I mistaken or has Captain Rendition's driving become even more spastic with the latest update? On the way to the base on the restart of Chapter 3 (my save from the previous version hung on re-load), after I annihilated the Chedaki base, he got the BMP APC hung up on a stone wall and was spining his wheels ad infinitum. I had to restart the chapter.

Nope, thats the double edged sword of using AI vehicles on an Arma mission - I think it can happen about 1 times in 25 or so. Reminds me of when I recently played through the BIS PMC campaign that had a similar mission & both the SUV's were mounting each other and ramming into houses. Because of all the stuff I had to cut from this mission I believe mine works more reliably :D

Don't let it piss you off too much, there is always -endmission.

This campaign is tough... gettin 1 heck of a time to take out all those T72s and BMP2s in chapter 3.... but really enjoying every bit of the game. Nice one even though very COD-ish.

Don't let it piss you off too much, there is always -endmission.

No problem Cheese-Wizz .. know I can always force endmission, even though it feels like the coward's way out. Thanks again for your support.

Thanks so much for all the positive comments peoples!

nope, sorry too many explosions!

I could recommend you a good doctor for that...

The seal team six campaigns are awesome & I'm looking forward to playing Delta!

yeah well I think the opening scene should have a skip option. Im not very good at Arma and cannot get through it. Not sure what the point of being an unarmed militia policeman driving a car through I guess enemy territory. I have GTA I want to kill people with massive weapons. This environment can allow so much more and well sorry this is the mission you create a guy in a crappy eastern european car driving for his life?? I cannot rate the rest of the campaign as I cannot get through it always die at the burning bus. Any other way and you die kinda pointless. I guess when you program it you have the exact knowledge needed to get past this scene I would however like to have a skip option.

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

There should be no ace content in bastard squad, I'd need to know the precise error message you received & what mods you are using to double check thoroughly.

That said its a strange one - a fair few people seem to have played it now without any ace dependency stuff coming up :confused:

Oh yeah the voices didnt work for me just a bunch of scratching noises. Do I need a mod sound file?

This environment can allow so much more and well sorry this is the mission you create a guy in a crappy eastern european car driving for his life?? I cannot rate the rest of the campaign as I cannot get through it always die at the burning bus. Any other way and you die kinda pointless. I guess when you program it you have the exact knowledge needed to get past this scene I would however like to have a skip option.

I actually never encountered this bus everybody is talking about ...

I white-knuckled through back roads and drove up to the waypoint in a roadside ditch, using the road berm for cover. The paved roads there are too damn dangerous!

Cant get trough prologue, after policeman gets out of the car they freeze only camera is swinging left and right, and i can switch between 3rd and 1st wiev. thats all. Policemen dont react on anything just music plays, and ligts on the field are moving. I thing this just doesnt work.

At first mission I have no any option to drag policeman, it's a great campaign and would be nice if updated for latest arma 2 version.

THX

At first mission I have no any option to drag policeman, it's a great campaign and would be nice if updated for latest arma 2 version.

THX