Sign in to follow this  
Second

MultiDiscussion : TES5: Skyrim, BattleField 3, COD, R6 etc.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/call-of-duty-modern-warfare-3

It's absolutely hilarious how afraid sites are to review this game in a negative light - It's all 9.5 etc but when you look at the user reviews, it seems that CoD:MW3 is not being well received at all.

I wish these 'review' sites would just f**k off. They exist purely to mislead people.

Publisher ain't gonna let 7 digit numbers spent on marketing to tell sheeple that that piece of crap they just wasted $60 on again is in fact the most epic immersive innovative game and it's cool to play it go to waste. Ads must flow.

Damn, looks exactly the same as all the other cods...

Surprise?

so do all the star wars and pirates of the caribbean films... Still doesn't make them less awesome. Played battlefield 3, wasn't as impressed as i thought i would be, gonna be doing MW3 next because I like the series and don't go all fanboy in mothers basement bitching on forums about it, because my pc wasn't made just for arma I do play other stuff without worrying what people think.

Edited by Archamedes

You can always watch a movie instead. Unlike in R6 it doesn't require you to constantly press X to see the next scene and is only 2 hours long instead of 4.

Vegas, AI and challenging are three words that do not belong in the same phrase.

I do not agree (finished Vegas 2 on realistic w/o using n00b cover system :pistols:). Once they spot you, they hide and occasionally sneak/shoot from cover and it's impossible to Quake it since on realistic difficulty you go down after 1-2 bullets. But still I find Raven Shield AI more hard (they shoot before they shout).

I enjoyed all CoDs up to WaW, but this one look exactly like MW2.

Also, no mod support, delicious rebalance CoD2/CoD4 mods from Lt.Speirs keep those games alive for me.

So I pass.

Not to mention the king - SWAT 4.

I agree with you on that comment, SWAT 4 is the king of close quarters combat. I've clocked up an insane amount of hours playing ARMA and SWAT 4, they are the best 2 PC games ever developed IMHO.

agreed :)

Btw, when I launched Vegas 1 I was disgusted by absolutely everything in the game, except that one thing... AI. I was so happy they finaly take cover, move, flank and work in groups (kinda) I have to say I was astonished that they had to make a stupid console-friendly shooter to finally make more human AI... because yes, I'll stand up by that statement - Vegas 1/2 AI was best in the series and that's a pretty bad (for Raven Shield).

Vegas 1 was seriously broken, Vegas 2 is really ok, it just shouldn't have the R6 title.

The only bad things I recall about the fun-action-game Vegas 2 are:

- broken laz0rs (with laserpointer on You've got worse accuracy then with off)

- worse terro hunt spawn system then in Vegas 1

- stupid and too slow R6 AI operatives (especially annoying in terro hunt)

- no SDK? or community that would make ton of maps

- R6 in the title

And bad localization because god knows why Ubi loves contracts with full-localizations, at least in this region.

Other than that, it's really a pretty good teamplay shooter, You might have quick and good fun, and that's ok with me.

I just wish there would be Raven Shield 2 (or 3 because there's 2.0 already ;-) )

Oh, and one more thing. I really don't understand what's the problem with making "good old classic style game". With a bit of work and letting the client customize the thing to their needs, you can do a product that'll satisfy both groups.

Wanna have fast fun?

Load up a mission, get preset plan or no plan at all, get preset people, arm them or also get a preset, press go, go gun blazin'. Or even do a "quick mission" mode, SWAT 4 like. Damage? You can easily set 2 or 3 options, or limit it by a difficulty level. AI accuracy\reflex? Also difficulty settings. And aiming were never a problem, so... most guys would probably love a newer Raven Shield simply because of the ability to customize and utilize a shipload of great (modeled, textured and even animated) guns, plus pasting walls with people with Benelli was always such a good fun. Fans of "counter terrorism stuff" would get a great game for some quick action, more advanced coop or even complete strategic planning for those, who want. It can be pulled off even on the consoles... if you would try, actually. I often used Raven Shield just for the "quick fun", with no plan, just going in and doing mess as good as I can. And it was really good even that way, actually, and many people loved that too (public servers meh).

That's why I can't understand why nobody (excl. BIS, but that's another story) have the balls to make a games that'd follow the spirit of the classics.

Allowing server-side mods or mutators on MP and You'll shortly have "max realism" servers and "arcade run'n'gun" servers. It's really not that hard, and have been done in the past, it can be done again and bring some fresh air to the tactical shooters. It's just that stupid fact that every greedy, "evil" company looks on that stuff extremely short-sighted and I hardly can understand that... fast cash, no hard work... duckin' buisnessmen.

Edited by JonPL

I agree with you on that comment, SWAT 4 is the king of close quarters combat. I've clocked up an insane amount of hours playing ARMA and SWAT 4, they are the best 2 PC games ever developed IMHO.

Raven Shield + expansions with the Raven Shield 2.0 unofficial patch is also the best imo, because of the different nature (Swat 4 being about subduing suspects, Raven Shield about neutralizing them even if they surrender). The patch adds improved Ai, iron sights, better textures, new uniforms, improved textures on weapons, all weapons from expansions are available all the time etc.

[Pic showing some of the changes]

That's on all medium settings (was playing on an older laptop, so it should look even better on a proper pc), HD packs should be out later for maps, uniforms and other things.

The Centcom mod for GR1 that just about remakes the game and the Sheriff's Special Forces mod for Swat 4 are two other classics imo.

To me none of the later R6 or GR games come even close to even the original unmodded R6 1 and 3 nor GR1 in terms of difficulty and accuracy, not even on the highest difficulty settings. Those games don't have any Hollywood stunts or Rambo behaviour in them like the "franchises" that they have become.

A bit curious to why people care so much about graphics in a game like this where you'll be spending most of your time advancing because you have no other choice if you want the lemmings to stop attacking you. The ending was oddly satisfying I'll admit though I wonder tale they plan on outdoing this, hell from what I've been watching if they try and top the action in MW3 any more it will be almost a nonstop constant fight.

Can't say how many times I got disinterested or drifted in thought because the action was never ending, it's great to have an all but by having it over the top nonstop it tends to nullify the overall effect so when something big happens you aren't left with a gaping jaw of awe but rather.."Oh look, a thing is happening" MW1 had it at times but it was more like moments rather than ZOMG IN YOUR FACE ALL THE TIME especially in the beginning. I understand a war is going on but damn.

Edited by NodUnit

Raven Shield + expansions with the Raven Shield 2.0 unofficial patch is also the best imo

I purchased the Athena Sword expansion but I didn't even know there was an unofficial patch. I lost my Raven Shield & Athena Sword discs years ago but man I loved playing that game, for me it's such a shame to see the rainbow 6 series gradually deteriorate.

I purchased the Athena Sword expansion but I didn't even know there was an unofficial patch. I lost my Raven Shield & Athena Sword discs years ago but man I loved playing that game, for me it's such a shame to see the rainbow 6 series gradually deteriorate.

It was released late last year. Some other things have been made by fans as well, like an SDK. Additionally Iron Wrath (meant as the 2nd expansion pack) was released for free when Ubisoft abandoned the game (2006 IIRC). Back when Ubisoft still cared for the quality of their games and what their customers thought about their service and support.

I play R6 Vegas 1&2 and enjoy them.

But for a long time I wouldn't even install them.

I'm glad I eventually got over that.

Playing them on console broke that barrier for me. I went to a friends and he had a console and Vegas was the best game he had on it. So we played it and had fun doing so.

Now I have them both installed on my LAN as does another friend on his and it see's use.

Element. Fantastic game and agree with the above statement. If Arma ever gets even half of that CQB ability it would be the motherflippen Mothership of all games.

If Arma ever gets even half of that CQB ability it would be the motherflippen Mothership of all games.

I think if ARMA gets CQB ability alike SWAT4 I'll become permanently glued to my armchair, I might become so addicted to ARMA I'd require adult-size diapers that professional gamers wear at tournaments.

SWAT4 had a major problem. Enemies were standing in one place never moving anywhere.

Gameplay wise it was more fluid than R6 yeah, much smoother control over squads due to in-mission commanding - but in R6 enemies were patrolling so you couldn't just relax in a corridor slowly planning next move

Still breaching options from SWAT4 is something I'd have definitely wanted to see in ArmA

bf3 is realistic, but not is a sim....

I have not played the game so im not saying you are wrong, but what is your definition of a realistic game?

SWAT4 had a major problem. Enemies were standing in one place never moving anywhere.

I don't see it as a problem because the main focus of the game is subduing barricaded suspects. Custom missions are great because the bad guys are randomly placed on the map.

in R6 enemies were patrolling so you couldn't just relax in a corridor slowly planning next move

Yeah I agree that type of enemy AI behaviour would be really suitable for ARMA because it keeps the player constantly vigilant, I think a combination of patrolling and barricaded enemy infantry would be perfect for close quarters battles as it would create a feeling of anxious uncertainty every time we enter a building.

Gameplay wise it was more fluid than R6 yeah, much smoother control over squads due to in-mission commanding - but in R6 enemies were patrolling so you couldn't just relax in a corridor slowly planning next move

Still breaching options from SWAT4 is something I'd have definitely wanted to see in ArmA

Suspects in SWAT 4 patroled. They also fled if not secured on time and locked doors behind them. They did not comunicate between themselves though. If a suspect ran into a room alerted, the suspects that were already in the room would not react in any way.

I agree about the breaching option. Optiwands would be cool to :D

The only reason I took a little interest in it was Czechs and Prague in the campaign.

And even that, I realized that most of the "czech" language was just a weird russo-slovak gibberish. With accent of course. :P

'll admit though I wonder tale they plan on outdoing this, hell from what I've been watching if they try and top the action in MW3 any more it will be almost a nonstop constant fight.

Well hopefully MW3 will be the peak in this regard, one of the reasons i didn't get Black Ops, MW2 was just better in every regard.

I thought Modern Warfare 1 to be good, a nice breath of fresh air from the overdone tired and tested ww2 CODs before it. Modern Warfare 2 was much better in every way, the storyline was very deep and thrilling and It was like a proper full on michael bay John woo action film. Yes the levels were scripted, the enemy was dumb and you always had the same outcome, blah de blah, but It was very entertaining. I cant wait to get my hands on modern warfare 3 because im only in it for the sp campaign and i knew it would be carried on as the last one ended so abruptly and left open

f...k Optiwands, fluid and non-retarded flashbang entry!

Did we really played the same games?

- Suspects in SWAT 4 were moving, patrolling, and they were placed randomly, especially when you used mission generator.

- Tangos in Raven Shield did not, or very sporadic (in campaign only), yet in Terro Hunt mode they were placed randomly.

So it's probably 2:1 for SWAT 4. But hey - both games are great :)