Sign in to follow this  
CameronMcDonald

Mass Effect 3

I agree with you, MadDog. They've either pulled off one helluva ending (there's a lot of clues to suggest this, but these could be coincidental) or really screwed up.

You really hate EA, don't you?

Well yes kind of, they ruined so many studios/games and continue to do so and they have an habbit of taking this DLC madness really way to far. I guess that are enough reasons to not like them.

Everyone who played to the ending and was like "WTF" (if you weren't like WTF, then clearly you didn't pay enough attention to anything) should watch this:

It's about a theory that Shepard became indoctrinated, and it kind of makes sense. In short, it's saying the ending was a dream. Even if this were to be completely made up, this theory makes the story so much better than the real "ending".

Not really a spoiler. :p

Nice Theory and defiantely better than the "real" ending

Well technicaly he is right, games are art and the maker can decide how they are going to be.

I'll use the analogy I used on the BW forums for this.

Photography is an art form. Therefore, a photo of a turd is art.

It doesn't change the fact that it is still a turd though.

It's an interesting theory. However, it's still just a theory. Neither proven nor unproven. There are things that suggest this indoctrination had a part to play, yes. But I still don't understand why they choose to make it such a closely guarded secret (ready to be revealed in a DLC I guess?) Or at least to some difficult to interpret as indoctrination. As the video suggests, there are several clues extending over all three Mass Effect games, but to remember all of these quotes and facts about indoctrination after so many years? It's a bit of a gamble if they expected that.

Even if they did imply that this is all part of an indoctrination, what ever happened the vastly distinctive endings? And if you chose the path the Reapers wanted you to go, why not send Shepard's mind off to "happyland" to complete the illusion? Where the Mass Relays don't explode, everyone got go home safe and sound, huge celebration, him- or herself still alive and well and so on. Alive, dead or indoctrinated; that would be the ending I would have thought I'd get if I choose blue or green. Otherwise I'd probably think something was wrong ..which it was, in my mind. :rolleyes:

Edited by colossus

Excellent video - nice find, Dead3yez! The part about Shepard's eyes in the blue and green endings was the clincher for me. It's subtle but definitely there, and pretty much a dead give-away once you've seen it. That simply can't be a coincidence.

Okay, so after the $80,000 donated to Childs Play, the latest initiative saw people raise $1000 for...cupcakes? :p

Yep, that's right. The plan is to ship out 400 cupcakes to BioWare HQ in 3 different colours to represent the endings; red, green, and blue. All of them will taste exactly the same.

That $1000 was raised in under 30 minutes.

I really admire the passion at which people do this sort of thing. I just hope BioWare listens to their fans.

Well it wasn't like that they have a statue in space for a thousand of protesters shoot at to send the developers a message :p

I really admire the passion at which people do this sort of thing. I just hope BioWare listens to their fans.

Agreed. The cupcake thing is hilarious btw. :D

It will be interesting to see what happens in the coming weeks, especially as the whole situation around the endings is still very unclear at this point (unless you take the cynical "it's just crappy writing" point of view, of course). Bioware has been really vague and sometimes self-contradictory on the matter (tweets vs. public statements), which is frustrating to say the least. I still want to believe in the indoctrination theory - simply because it would give the ending a lot of depth and leave interesting possibilities for continuing the story - but I've found that much of the "evidence" for it crumbles under scrutiny and the rest may simply be coincidental.

Okay, so after the $80,000 donated to Childs Play, the latest initiative saw people raise $1000 for...cupcakes? :p

Yep, that's right. The plan is to ship out 400 cupcakes to BioWare HQ in 3 different colours to represent the endings; red, green, and blue. All of them will taste exactly the same.

I would had replaced those 400 cupcakes with 3 turds.Packaged very well to don't suspect a thing until it's already too late(kinda like they did with their game).I'm more surprised that people still think it's the same Bioware that was a few years ago.

Edited by Krycek

You've got to draw the line somewhere. Keeping things civil is the best way of doing things in this case.

Here's a message from the rEApers as well for you all:

The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Game companies rise, evolve, advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished. Bioware is not the first. By utilizing our funding, game companies develop along the paths we desire. They exist because we allow it, and they will end because we demand it.

Edited by Hellfire257

Have you seen this one yet? It was posted two years ago (!). I stumbled upon it when I was reading about hints in Mass Effect (1) regarding Mass Effect 3. Amusing reading.

Exactly. There are two endings I wouldn't like for ME 3. One being a random GOD LIKE force that saves the Galaxy or another being that to defeat the Reapers, everyone has to become a primitivst and destroy the Relays, Citadel, etc. Both would make me pretty unhappy as those endings have been done to death.

I imagine without the Collector base there will be some sacrifice to be made. Using the combined fleets as a distraction (like the Black Gate in Lord of the Rings) while Shepard and his team find some other way to defeat the Reapers? Triggering a star into Supernova while the Reapers are present, killing everyone but ending the Reaper cycle? Hell, it may even be Earth is used as the graveyard of the Reapers, a tempting bait for their fleet. Either way, please no Battlestar Galactica "return to simple ways" ending...
That is true and anyway Bioware would have had to develop the "ancient" race for some time. A quick appearance at the end would be terrible. I am all for the idea of the current sentient races finding a way to defeat the Reapers on their own, without having to end galactic civlization OR rely on ancient God aliens.

Source: Bioware forums

Original ending, huh? :rolleyes: :p

Edited by colossus

Triggering a star into Supernova while the Reapers are present, killing everyone but ending the Reaper cycle? Hell, it may even be Earth is used as the graveyard of the Reapers, a tempting bait for their fleet.

This could had been better than the 3 choice crap,lure their main fleet in a system but with a proxy fleet of yours instead of sacrificing all the combined fleets you've gathered.Then drop a meteor into the relay like in the ME2 Arrival,resulting supernova will destroy the system.After that the huge combined fleet you got could had easily cleanse system by system of remaining reapers since their main force was on Earth.

Heck this is basically what reapers have done in all those extinction cycles,cut off and isolate systems before harvesting&orbital bombing.

BioWare will expanding on the ending to Mass Effect 3 by creating additional cinematics and epilogue scenes to the existing ending sequences. The goal of these new scenes is to provide additional clarity and closure to Mass Effect 3.

Am I the only one who expected more than that?

I expected this. The way the letter from the director was written seemed to indicate exactly this. I remain skeptical, though. How can they explain the part about Normandy, the Mass Relays, and the massive fleet; and still make sense of it all? I don't know. How they can make that happening with a couple of cutscenes is beyond me. And for free, nonetheless!

PS:

On another subject. An interesting podcast I was listening to the other day. Had me entertained at least :)

Escapist Podcast: Mass Effect - part 1

Escapist Podcast: Mass Effect - part 2

Escapist Podcast: Mass Effect - part 3

Edited by colossus
typo